Our turkey breast in air fryer recipe makes the ultimate crispy turkey breast that's unbelievably moist and cooks in less than one hour. We are making our crispy herbed turkey breast using a simple seasoning of garlic salt and herbs de Provence to create an air fryer turkey breast that is perfect as a holiday meal or even a weeknight dinner, and always a WHOLE LOTTA YUM.
This Air Fryer Turkey Breast is unbelievably crispy and moist!
We just purchased our air fryer this fall and we've been air frying up a storm! 14 days of air fryer dinners are what I told my husband would be happening. Our first recipe was actually air fryer chicken wings, and after making 4 batches of wings, we've deemed these to be the best ever!
After tons of research, we decided to purchase an air fryer/toaster oven combo and it replaced our old countertop toaster oven. Instant Pot sells another model through Walmart will most of the same features but for less.
Since we're just having a small group for Thanksgiving this year, I instantly knew I needed to perfect our turkey breast in air fryer seasoning and cooking method before people came over. I do have to say, having an air fryer Thanksgiving turkey truly makes for the simplest holiday dinner ever!
Not only does it free up valuable oven space, but it cooks up in less than an hour and it turns out super crisp and moist every time.
Can you cook a turkey breast in an air fryer?
Yes, cooking a turkey breast in an air fryer is a great idea. Not only does it cook faster than the oven, it turns out perfectly moist on the inside with crispy skin on the outside. It’s perfect for the holidays or for dinner when you’re serving a small group and don’t want to cook an entire bird.
Make sure to buy a turkey breast that’ll easily fit inside your air fryer basket so it’ll cook evenly. We recommend seasoning it in advance with herbs and spices, and then cook it until the turkey has an internal temp of 165°F.
Why you'll love Air Fryer Bone In Turkey Breast
- Quick-cooking a turkey breast in an air fryer makes for a super crisp yet really juicy turkey.
- Adding your favorite dried herbs adds extra flavor that makes this perfect for your holiday table--in less than one hour!! Oven-roasted turkey breast takes 1.5 hours to bake!
- Removing the turkey slightly before it's done and letting it rest, makes it super moist every time since it allows the juices to distribute.
- Flipping the turkey halfway gets the skin nice and crisp on both sides.
- Our turkey breast in air fryer recipe is perfect for those who prefer to follow specific eating plans. Naturally low-carb, keto, and gluten-free, our recipe is also sugar-free and dairy-free.
What you'll need for Turkey Breast in Air Fryer
When you're cooking a turkey in an air fryer, not many ingredients are needed. Just a little seasoning, crispy skin, and moist and juicy turkey is all that's needed to make the perfect air fryer turkey breast recipe.
- turkey breast
- olive oil
- garlic salt
- ground pepper
- herbs de Provence
- butter - melted
Air Fryer Turkey Breast variations
- Herbs de Provence is my favorite go-to mixed herb seasoning blend, but feel free to use Italian seasoning or simply dried herbs that go well with turkey like dried thyme, oregano, and rosemary.
- Or, skip the herbs for a simple air fryer turkey.
- You can make an air fryer turkey leg using the same method, just cook until a thermometer reads 160F.
- An Air Fryer- We have an Omni Plus oven style air fryer , Cosori, and a small 3.2L Farberware basket style air fryer.
How to Air Fry Turkey Breast step by step
Cooking your turkey breast in air fryer is super simple! It's amazing how stressful cooking a whole turkey can be in an oven, yet cooking just the popular breast when you have a small group makes cooking turkey a breeze.
Mix the oil, garlic salt, pepper, and herbs de Provence in a small bowl.
With paper towels pat the turkey breast on both sides to remove the extra moisture. This is one of the keys to getting that extra crispy air fryer turkey breast skin.
Brush both sides of the turkey breast with the oil and herb mixture.
Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray to help make clean-up easier.
Turkey Breast in Air Fryer Temperature
Preheat the turkey breast in air fryer to 350 F.
Air fryer turkey cook time
Place the prepared turkey breast in your air fryer meat side down and cook for 25 minutes.
Carefully flip the turkey breast. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 165F when a thermometer is inserted into the thickest part of the breast.
Let the turkey breast rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
How to serve Air Fryer Bone In Turkey Breast
Whether you are looking to create a simple Thanksgiving meal, or simply trying to do something different during the year, pairing our air fryer turkey breast with fall roasted vegetables and keto cranberry sauce makes a simple yet elegant dinner.
Other sides to pair with Bone In Turkey Breast
Bone In Turkey Breast Air Fryer recipe tips
- Remove the turkey from the air fryer, cover it with aluminum foil and let the turkey breast rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Letting the meat rest is a super important step, it lets the internal juices that pool to the middle settle and redistribute to the rest of the meat, which makes every bite juicy.
- Air fryers heat so quickly, preheating isn't necessary.
- In our Omni Plus, the air fryer rack position is too high up for something large like a turkey breast. We lowered the rack to the center and that worked well for this recipe.
- Depending on your air fryer model, you can use the rotisserie instead of setting the turkey breast in an air fryer basket. Make sure not to use a turkey breast larger than your owner's manual recommends or it could break the rotisserie.
- You can cook a larger turkey breast than the 2.5 lb we used, many models allow for a 4lb piece or meat or roast.
- To cook the turkey breast in the oven, use the same steps, it just might take a little longer to cook.
Making Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
If you came across our air fryer turkey breast recipe and you DON'T have an air fryer and are wondering how to cook this easy turkey breast in the oven, here's how to adapt the recipe.
The steps are virtually the same, but it'll take a little bit longer to cook in the oven. If you have a convection oven, the air circulates in a similar way as an air fryer. Many people even say if you do have a convection oven, do you really need an air fryer too? I have both yet still love having an air fryer too.
In a convection oven, lower the temperature to 325F, if you have a regular oven the temperature should be 350F. Make sure the oven rack is in the center of the oven.
Follow all of the recipe steps above except there's no need to flip your turkey breast over. After 1 hour of cooking a 3 lb turkey breast, open the oven and baste the turkey breast with butter.
Continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 165F, which could take another 20-30 minutes.
If the turkey breast seems to be browning too quickly, loosely cover it with foil.
Let rest covered with foil for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Air Fryer Turkey Breast storage
Store: Store leftover cooked turkey in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: You can freeze leftover turkey for up to 3 months.
Reheat: Preheat the air fryer to 350°F. Place the turkey slices in a single layer in the air fryer basket or tray, cooking for 3-5 mins depending on the thickness of the slices. It's a good idea to check on the turkey slices every minute or so to ensure they are not overcooked. Reheated turkey slices can dry out quickly, so it's best to serve them immediately after reheating.
Air Fryer Bone In Turkey Breast FAQs
To cook a 3lb turkey breast in an air fryer will take 45-55 minutes. We recommend using a digital meat thermometer to check for doneness.
Most air fryer models have a max capacity of 4lbs, so no, you cannot cook a whole turkey in an air fryer. You can roast a turkey breast or a turkey leg, and you could roast a small whole chicken, but not a whole turkey as they would be too large.
The cooking time for a turkey breast in an air fryer can vary depending on the size and thickness of the turkey breast, whether or not it’s bone-in or boneless, as well as the brand of air fryer you have. In general, it takes 45-55 minutes to air fry a turkey breast at 350 F.
Yes, you can air fry a Butterball turkey breast! Air frying a Butterball turkey breast is similar to cooking any other turkey breast in an air fryer, assuming this is a turkey breast and not a turkey breast roast. A turkey breast takes about 45-55 minutes to cook on 350 F whereas a Butterball turkey breast roast will take even less time.
Air frying a turkey is honestly amazing! If you’ve ever felt overwhelmed over cooking a whole turkey for a crowd, cooking smaller turkey parts in an air fryer is the way to go. The smaller portions, whether it be a breast, thighs, legs, or wings cook faster and more evenly.
You can cook a turkey breast either skin side up or down, if you’re cooking it in the oven you want to cook it skin-side up and if you air fry it, you want to start with the breast down and then flip it over halfway through cooking otherwise the breast will get too dark if you keep it facing up the entire cooking time.
It’s generally recommended to cook a turkey breast skin side up since the breast is very delicate and dries out easily. Skin-side up also allows the juices to naturally flow down towards the breast, keeping it moist and tender. The skin on the top of the breast can also help to protect the meat from drying out as it turns crispy.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Looking for more air fryer recipes?
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe
- Air Fryer Boneless Pork Chops
- Air Fryer Brats
- Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
V V V