The perfect cheesy green bean casserole with cream cheese sauce for the holidays. Skip the canned mushroom soup and make our easy homemade recipe everyone will love. Low carb, gluten-free, and keto friendly. It's a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
While we've always loved green bean casserole, what we don't love is using processed canned cream of mushroom soup. Instead, we've created a low carb fresh green bean casserole with cream cheese sauce that gets topped with melted cheddar and garnished with crispy onions. So much better and healthier, plus it's super easy!
And for a main dish green bean casserole you'll love our sausages with potatoes and green beans too!
All of the ingredients were purchased from Trader Joe's, but using your favorite grocery store brands of course works.
- extra virgin olive oil
- yellow onion - sweet, red, or white onions will also work fine
- chopped mushrooms - any variety works here such as crimini or white button mushrooms
- green beans - the thin French haricot verts green beans were used in the recipe. To save time, buy a bag that's already washed and trimmed.
- heavy whipping cream
- chicken broth
- minced garlic - we used Trader Joe's frozen garlic cubes, jar garlic or minced fresh garlic are other options
- cream cheese
- salt and ground pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- shredded cheddar cheese
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
- Vegan- use plant based margarine and cream cheese
- Gluten Free- skip the store-bought fried onions or make homemade fried onions
- Keto/Low carb-The recipe is already low carb but to cut back on sauteed onion and skip the fried onion garnish to keep the carbs down even more.
Step by Step Instructions
The green bean casserole is as simple as sauteeing the vegetables, making a quick cheese sauce, combining it all together (topped with cheese of course!) and baking until it reaches perfection.
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onion and chopped mushrooms until they're soft (but not browned). Add the green beans and continue cooking until they are crisp-tender.
Make the Cheese Sauce
While you're cooking the vegetables, start on the cheese sauce. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook it for 1 minute.
Stir in the cream cheese cubes, heavy whipping cream, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Heat the cheese sauce to a simmer and stir it until smooth.
Pour the cream cheese sauce over the green beans. Gently mix until the green beans are coated. Transfer the green beans to a 9x9 baking dish.
Sprinkle with the shredded cheddar cheese and bake the green bean casserole for 30 minutes in a preheated 350 F oven. If you're adding fried onions on top, add them in the last 5 minutes of baking.
- The casserole can be prepped a day ahead of time and baked the day it's needed. It will take longer to cook in the oven since it's being baked from cold.
- This is an easy recipe to double and then use a 9x13 pan instead of a 9x9.
- We love a sprinkle of store-bought fried onions on the side, if you're eating keto or can't have gluten and want to skip the fried onions garnish, you can serve them in a little dish next to the casserole for guests.
- They'd also be tasty with dried bread cubes as a crunchy topping.
Lemon and capers definitely give nods to spring and would make a fantastic special Sunday dinner or as a side dish for Easter. Other ideas to serve with lemon caper pasta would be ham, pork chops, chicken thighs, seafood like shrimp, clams or fish, roasted vegetables like asparagus or broccoli, or make a vegetarian dinner and serve the pasta with a salad on the side.
The green bean casserole with cream cheese sauce will last up to 4 days in the fridge.
More Low Carb Holiday Side Dishes
- pureed butternut squash
- cauliflower mashed "potatoes"
- keto cranberry sauce
- air fryer green bean bacon bundles
- keto pumpkin mousse