Mini Caprese skewers are just the appetizer you are looking for! We are taking classic Caprese salad ingredients and making them portable for a quick and easy make-ahead appetizer that is sure to please – and is ready in 15 minutes. It’s a whole lot of simple and a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Caprese Salad Skewers
Caprese salad skewers are a great way for us to serve our Caprese salad but in a fun and different way. These bite-sized appetizers are served on a toothpick making them the perfect snack or make-ahead dish.
Mini Caprese skewers are compliant with gluten-free, low-carb, keto, and vegetarian eating plans. You can also make a vegan or paleo version by swapping the mozzarella with your favorite non-dairy cheese substitute.
We love serving these mini Caprese skewers as an appetizer or snack, but they can also be included in a healthy low-carb lunch when served with nuts and additional vegetables.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Fresh mozzarella and tomatoes are always a classic combination that pleases most everyone.
- Served on a mini-skewer, your Caprese skewers are a finger-friendly way to serve Caprese salad.
- Made with fresh basil and topped with a balsamic glaze, your mini Caprese skewers add a sophisticated flair to your table with minimal effort.
- The whole recipe needs just 5 ingredients!
Your mini Caprese skewers need just a few ingredients and a few moments of your time. However, as a no-cook recipe, the quality and freshness of the ingredients you purchase will shine through.
- cherry tomatoes – use can also use grape tomatoes but we don’t recommend using tomato slices
- balsamic glaze – balsamic vinegar works well or any flavored vinegar you love
- mozzarella balls – plain or herbed will both work well
- basil leaves – fresh for the best flavor
Make mini antipasto skewers on a toothpick by mixing in the Caprese ingredients with olives or salami.
To make a vegan variation, use avocado cubes instead of the fresh mozzarella balls.
- Vegan or Dairy-Free – omit the mozzarella balls and use a vegan cheese substitute or avocado cubes.
Step by Step Instructions
Your mini Caprese skewers are the ultimate in no-cook appetizers! This finger-food dish needs just 15 minutes of prep-work and then your work is done.
Gather all ingredients.
Prep the basil leaves by tearing or slicing them into 24 pieces.
Thread a mozzarella ball, a sliver of fresh basil, and a cherry tomato on a toothpick.
Keep threading the ingredients onto toothpicks until you have as many made as needed.
Arrange on a platter or plate and drizzle with balsamic glaze right before serving.
The recipe makes 24 mini skewers but it’s easy to make as many (or as few) as you want.
- For best flavor, use fresh mozzarella cheese. In a pinch, you can cube regular mozzarella cheese. If you can only find a large fresh mozzarella cheese ball, cut it into small chunks.
- Your mini Caprese skewers are best served cold. If making them ahead of time, store them in the fridge.
- Be sure to add the balsamic right before serving as it starts to absorb into the cheese.
Are caprese skewers keto?
Yes, with just 1 net carb per skewer, your mini Caprese skewers are low-carb and keno-friendly. Be sure to check labels and buy ingredients without added sugar.
Can caprese skewers be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can make these the day before you need them. However, do not add the balsamic ahead of time. Drizzle that just before serving.
How to store leftovers?
You can store your Caprese skewers in the fridge up to 1-2 days, any longer and the basil will start to wilt/brown. The other ingredients will last longer.
Easy Appetizer Recipes
Looking for more snack & appetizer recipes?
- Antipasto on a Stick
- Ham and Pickle Roll-ups
- Stuffed Mushrooms with Bacon and Cream Cheese
- Boursin Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella balls
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp balsamic glaze
- Thread a mozzarella ball, a sliver of fresh basil, and a cherry tomato on a toothpick. Keep threading the ingredients onto toothpicks until you have as many made as needed.
- Arrange on a platter or plate and drizzle with balsamic glaze right before serving.
- The recipe makes 24 mini skewers but it's easy to make as many as you want.
Balsamic vinegar can be used instead of balsamic syrup.
Be sure to add the balsamic right before serving as it starts to absorb into the cheese.
Other variations include making mini antipasto skewers on a toothpick by mixing in the Caprese ingredients with olives or salami. To make a vegan variation, use avocado cubes instead of the fresh mozzarella balls.
For best flavor, use fresh Mozarella cheese, but in a pinch you can cube regular Mozarella cheese. If you can only find a large fresh Mozarella cheese ball, cut it into small chunks.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 28Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 6mgSodium 49mgCarbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 2g