Whether you are looking for a quick lunch or an afternoon snack, our ham and pickle roll-ups are just the thing! Made with your favorite ham slices and dill pickles, these low-carb pinwheels are held together with cream cheese. Done in less than 10 minutes, they are a whole lot of easy, and a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Ham Pickle Roll-ups
For every Christmas that I have in memory, my grandma would make ham roll-ups with sliced ham and cream cheese with a touch of horseradish. The roll-ups are commonly called "Lutheran sushi" and were a church gathering special, especially across the Midwest.
Ham and pickle roll-ups are the easiest lunch or snack option! Even better, they are ideal for staying on track when you are following a gluten-free eating plan or looking to stay low-carb and keto.
Our favorite way to serve ham and pickle roll-ups are sliced into finger-sized pieces. Served with a side salad and cheese slices, it's a superb lunch option that satisfies your hunger without damaging your healthy eating. However, pickle pinwheels can also be served as part of an appetizer course or spread for a game-day event.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- We are taking the best part of a ham sandwich, the ham and the pickle, and creating a super easy low-carb option that keeps your day on track.
- A quick lunch option, these ham and pickle roll-ups are done in less than 10 minutes!
- Super customizable, use your favorite ham slices to create the flavor you want most.
- Dill pickles and ham are always a great combination.
- The whole recipe needs just 3 ingredients!
Be sure to check out additional easy appetizer recipes such as microwave pepperoni chips, parmesan cheese crisps, and Boursin stuffed mini sweet peppers.
On Keto? Grab our FREE keto foods list here OR Snag our Keto Binder HERE
A simple three ingredient recipe, your ham and pickle roll ups-will be done in no time.
- cream cheese - softened or whipped
- ham slices - thin rectangular slices will be easiest to work with
- dill pickles - small, whole pickles about the size of your ham slices
Ham - If ham is not your thing, or you want to change this up throughout the week, try using other sandwich meat varieties including salami, turkey, pastrami, corned beef, or roast beef.
Pickles - We do prefer whole dill pickles, but you can also use spears or slices.
Step by Step Instructions
Ham and pickle roll-ups are so easy, even your kids can make them! This no-cook recipe needs just a butter knife or other tool to help spread the cream cheese, and then a knife for making slices (if you choose to).
Spread about 1 tablespoon of softened cream cheese on each slice of ham, leaving approximately a ½" edge on all sides of the ham.
Place the pickle at one end of the ham slice covered with cream cheese.
Roll the pickle and ham into a log shape.
You can serve your ham and pick roll-ups two ways.
Slice the ham and pickle roll-ups into 1" slices. This will yield approximately 24 ham pickle pinwheels.
Or, you can leave your roll-ups whole if serving them for lunch.
- When purchasing your ham, don't opt for the thinnest slices available. A slightly thicker slice will be easier to work with.
- Whipped cream cheese is easier to spread but regular cream cheese can be used as well. Leave the cream cheese on the counter for 30 mins before making to have it be even easier to spread, or soften it in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Serve your ham and pickle roll-ups cold. If you are making these ahead of time, store them in the fridge covered.
For lunch, we serve ham and pickle roll-ups with a side salad and cheese slices for a quick no-cook lunch.
When stored covered in the fridge, your pickle roll-ups will keep for 4-5 days. We do not recommend freezing the roll-ups.
Each roll up less than 1 net carb if you use 0 carb pickles, 0 carb cream cheese, and lunch meat that's 1 carb or less per serving (each serving of lunch meat is typically 2-3 slice and you'll just be using 1 slice per roll-up). Whipped cream cheese has more carbs than regular cream cheese. Turkey might have less carbs than ham or salami.
Feel free to make your ham and pickle roll-ups with use Boursin cheese, dairy-free cream cheese spread, or with sour cream or mayo mixed with ranch dressing.
More Keto Snack Recipes
Looking for more keto snack recipes?
- keto stuffed mushrooms
- Caprese skewers
- hot green chili dip with artichokes
- sugar-free chocolate covered almonds
Come connect with us on Instagram! Be sure to tag us (wholelotta.yum) when you make a recipe. You can also find us on Facebook, and Pinterest.
(Jen will insert hidden Pinterest pin)
These were soooo good!
I make these all the time just for snacks in the fridge. If you have available to you fresh dried beef at the deli counter, thay is THE best. I soften my cream cheese in the m'wave about 10 seconds. Makes it so much easier to spread. (Dried beef is cured beef..a little salty) not beef jerky. Don't used the pkg'd stuff if you don't have to.