Learning how to make pepperoni chips is an easy and quick crunchy snack you can make yourself in just a couple minutes. Who knew it would be so simple to make your own pepperoni snacks at home? Recipes are included for both microwave pepperoni chips and baked pepperoni too. Even better? These are low carb and keto too!
What Are Pepperoni Chips?
If you've heard of pepperoni chips but aren't quite sure exactly what they are, you'll be happy to learn it's as quick and easy as taking a regular store-bought package of pepperoni from the grocery store and cooking them until they're crisp like a potato chip!
Common ways to cook these are to make microwave pepperoni chips, bake them, or even cook them in an air fryer.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It literally takes just one ingredient to make
- In a microwave, you can have pepperoni chips in just 1-2 minutes.
- It's a low carb or even a no-carb snack depending on which brand you buy
Are These Keto Pepperoni Chips?
If you've been following a low carb or keto diet you might be wondering right away if this recipe makes keto pepperoni chips! You'll be happy to know that as long as you're using zero carb or low carb pepperoni, these are indeed pepperoni keto chips.
The foods we've missed the most by following a low carb diet are the crisp and crunch of chips or crispy crackers to swipe into our favorite dip. Making super easy 1-3 minute pepperoni crisps has become one of our favorite low carb guilty pleasures. What's even easier is that you can make these in the microwave!
You seriously won't believe how easy this recipe is! Just this past weekend we put together a low carb friendly charcuterie board for Friday night appetizers, and the low carb pepperoni chips made such a great replacement for crackers. Just serving pepperoni chips with dip like you would other types of chips are so tasty!
The low carb pepperoni we buy from Trader Joes is a tiny bit spicy, once dried they taste even spicer and were the PERFECT easy side with blue cheese and celery sticks. Microwave pepperoni chips or baked chips and dip make the perfect no carb snack!
Who has time to make chicken wings now that we have an easier substitute with these tasty crunchy no carb chips? 😉 The low carb pepperoni chips also made a great addition alongside slices of salamis and smoked meats.
So you seriously just need one ingredient for this recipe. Guess what it is? 😉
1-5 oz pkg of Pepperoni! ~ that's it! We used Trader Joe's Volpi Gourmet Pepperoni
(Optional) - A Dip like blue cheese, Ranch dressing, guacamole, or queso cheese sauce
Any brand of your favorite pepperoni will work to make pepperoni chips in a microwave or oven, so don't feel like you have to run out and drive to the next state if you don't have a Trader Joe's near you 😉
Microwave Pepperoni Chips
To make pepperoni chips in the microwave seriously could not be any easier! You're essentially just placing the meat in between two layers of paper towels and cooking them 1-2 minutes until crispy.
Layer 2 paper towels. You can literally just place these in the microwave directly, no plate is even needed!
Lay the pepperoni in a single layer. You might need to make more than one batch if you're preparing the entire pack of pepperoni. We were able to make 2 batches with a 5 oz package of pepperoni.
Place one more layer of paper towels on top of the pepperoni
How Long do You Cook Pepperoni Chips?
Depending on the type of pepperoni and size of pepperoni you use, microwave pepperoni chips can take anywhere between 1-3 minutes to cook. It's perfectly fine to cook the microwave chips for one minute, open the microwave and check the degree of doneness.
With my microwave and the type of pepperoni used, the keto pepperoni chips took 3 minutes to cook.
You'll also want to cook the chips in batches, depending on how many pepperoni crisps you want to have.
It was honestly surprising how much grease gets absorbed into the paper towels by microwaving pepperoni! Who knew??
So easy! And that's it my friends! Using the microwave to make chips is seriously a mind-blowing basic technique!
Making Oven-Baked Chips
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- On a baking sheet with a rim, line the pan with parchment paper.
- In a single layer lay the pepperoni on the pan.
- Add a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese or parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes until they're to your desired degree of crispness.
- Blot with paper towels to absorb any additional grease.
- If you cook these in the microwave and they aren't crisp after 1 minute, add 1 more minute. All microwaves will be different based on how powerful they are.
- Serve the pepperoni chips and dip with blue cheese, Ranch dressing, whipped ricotta, guacamole, or queso cheese sauce.
- Substitute another type of salami in place of the pepperoni for variety.
- These are best eaten within a couple of hours, but you can put them in the fridge if there's some leftover. Bring to room temperature for the best texture.
- Be sure to check the package label if you're on a low carb diet, some brands are even no carb!
What to Serve the Keto Pepperoni Chips With?
One great thing about this keto-friendly pepperoni chip recipe is that they're delicious just on their own! Here are a few other ways to enjoy this simple one-ingredient snack.
- Serve them like "wings" with a side of blue cheese and celery sticks.
- Add them to a low carb charcuterie board along with other types of smoked meats, salamis, low carb veggies, and cheeses.
- Dip them in cream cheese or guacamole
- Serve pepperoni chips with queso cheese dip
How Long Are Pepperoni Chips Good For?
Unlike chips that aren't made of meat, you might be wondering if pepperoni chips need to be refrigerated.
So now that your pepperoni crisps are done, how do you store them? They're at their BEST served immediately or at least within a couple hours.
These crunchy little morsels do store well in a container with a lid in your fridge for at least a few days. Yes, they get chilled being the fridge, but they still stay totally crisp! You can simply bring the pepperoni chips to room temperature before eating.
Is Pepperoni Keto?
"Most" brands of pepperoni should be ok on a keto diet. Higher quality brands will just consist of meat and seasoning, and some pepperoni brands out there are as low as ZERO carbs!
The brand of pepperoni we used has less than 1 carb for a serving size of 7 slices. You'll need to check the nutrition facts on the brand of pepperoni you buy to get the exact details, but as long as you stick to high-quality brands that don't add a bunch of fillers (and hidden carbs), pepperoni is keto!
Are they better microwaved or baked?
The microwave is honestly faster and easier! One benefit of cooking them in the oven is that you can make pepperoni chips with cheese by adding a little cheese on top. That's not an option with the microwave chips since you need to place paper towels over the top.
If after reading through all of this and you'd prefer to bake your chips, you can check out this Youtube video for baked keto pepperoni chips by Fat Fit Beauty!
Easy Keto Snack Ideas
- 15 Best On the Go Keto Snacks
- The BEST Keto Snacks to Buy
- Parmesan Crisp Recipe
- Keto Cheese Crackers
- 15 Low Carb Chips Recipes
Please leave a review if you make our microwave chip recipe! We love feedback from readers, plus it helps others too.
And pin the recipe for later on Pinterest so you can easily get back to it!