Mashed sweet potatoes with pecans and maple syrup is our family favorite Thanksgiving sweet potato casserole. It’s easy to cut in half and make it in an 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish too.
This is seriously THE BEST sweet potato casserole recipe!
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (2 oz)
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into 1/4" pieces (4 oz)
- 5 lb garnet yams (the red skinned sweet potatoes), peeled and cut into 1 1/2" pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, pecans, and butter until crumbled. Chill it in the fridge until you're ready to use it in the recipe.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Cook the sweet potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until very tender, which takes about 12 minutes. Drain, let the hot potatoes cool in a colander for 15 minutes. Puree in a food processor until smooth.
- Beat the eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt in a large bowl. Mix in the pureed sweet potatoes. Transfer the sweet potato casserole ingredients to the 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle the pecan mix over the top.
- Bake the sweet potatoes with pecans and maple syrup until the casserole is set and the top is bubbling, which takes about 1 hour.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
The red skinned sweet potatoes, also called garnet yams, will give you the best flavor. The light-skinned sweet potatoes don't have as much flavor and are milder.
Cut the recipe in half and use an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish if you need a smaller amount.
Honey can be substituted for maple syrup.
To make a sugar free version without brown sugar, you can swap coconut sugar, erythritol, or monk fruit.
The recipe is a variation from the November 1998 issue of Bon Appetit magazine.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 386Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 72mgSodium 462mgCarbohydrates 71gFiber 8gSugar 19gProtein 5g