An easy 10-minute make ahead keto gravy for turkey that'll simplify your Thanksgiving! With xanthan gum providing a smooth thickener, no one will know this is a gluten-free, low-carb recipe. Make the gravy 1-2 days in advance, adding turkey drippings the day of is optional. It's a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Most likely you're looking for a keto turkey gravy for Thanksgiving, that's definitely the most popular usage for gravy. And thankfully it's super simple to make a low carb version at home in advance, we show you how to make it ahead or make it the day of Thanksgiving.
The recipe uses turkey broth to make a keto turkey gravy, but feel free to use other types of broth like chicken or beef depending on what you're serving the gravy with!
Other than the xantham gum, making the keto gravy recipe just takes basic pantry ingredients. We recommend buying the xantham gum online, last time we purchased it from the local grocery store it was double the cost.
The incredible binding power of xantham gum makes it an invaluable ingredient for many culinary applications, from sauces and gravies to baking. It's truly the best keto thickener for gravy.
- turkey broth (or chicken, veggie, or beef)
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- xanthan gum
- salt and pepper to taste
- turkey drippings (optional)
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
As written, the xantham gum gravy is low carb and keto friendly.
- Vegan- use vegan approved plant based margarine like Earth Balance and vegetable or mushroom broth.
- Dairy free- use plant based margarine or just turkey drippings in place of the butter
How to Make Xantham Gum Gravy
If you've been intimidated by the thought of making homemade gravy, seriously have no fears. This literally takes less than 10 minutes and just uses one saucepan or skillet.
- Melt the butter in a medium size saucepan on medium heat. Add the broth, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Once heated, slowly sprinkle and whisk in the xanthan gum until it's absorbed. There might still be a few little clumps but that'll smooth out as you continue cooking.
- Turn the stove to medium-high heat. Bring your gravy to a boil and continue to whisk it for one minute.
- Remove it from the stove and serve hot with turkey, cauliflower potatoes, or roast chicken.
- The keto gravy recipe can be made a day or two in advance. The day you serve, heat the pre-made gravy in a saucepan on medium-low heat. You can stir 1 tablespoon of turkey drippings if desired. Enjoy!
For extra flavor, add other herbs and spices such as rosemary, poultry seasoning, or Italian seasoning. Adding an Unami favor like a mushroom powder would be fantastic too.
- If your gravy is too thick, add more broth until you achieve the desired consistency.
- The longer you cook the gravy, the thicker it will get. So keep an eye on it to make sure you don't overcook it!
- To store leftovers, let the gravy cool down before transferring it to a sealed container and refrigerating for up to 3 days. Reheat in a saucepan over low heat. Add more broth if it needs to be thinned out Enjoy!
What is Xanthan Gum?
It's derived from the outer shells of the Xanthomonas campestris bacteria, which are then dried and ground up into a powder form. Learn more about xanthan gum here.
Xanthan gum acts as an emulsifier, helping to bind ingredients together so they won't separate out when combined with other ingredients. It can also be used as a thickening agent instead of flour when making sauces or gravies – perfect for creating a delicious keto friendly gravy.
What Other Keto Thickeners Work for Low Carb Gravy?
Psyllium Husks make a great alternative to using xanthan gum in recipes, the ratio for psyllium husks is 2:1. Fon instance, in our low carb gravy recipe we used 1 teaspoon of xantham gum, to swap with psyllium husks you'd used 2 tsp.
Unflavored gelatin powder, egg whites, or almond flour can be used too (but none of these can be used as a 1:1 ratio in this recipe).
More Low Carb Thanksgiving Recipes
- roast turkey breast
- keto cauliflower potatoes
- low carb green bean casserole
- keto cranberry sauce
- keto pumpkin cheesecake mousse