Cook easy and delicious air fryer smashed potatoes with any variety of small potatoes. We show you how to cook potatoes before smashing or how to cook smashed potatoes in air fryer with precooked potatoes. Serve with your favorite baked potato toppings!
It's a WHOLE LOTTA YUM in less than 30 minutes!
Smashed Potatoes Air Fryer Recipe
I fully admit to us being a potato obsessed family. Giving up gluten due to gluten sensitivities was no problem, potatoes such as air fryer home fries or air fryer baby potatoes are, in our opinion, much better than bread and processed carbs anyways!
While we sometimes have pressure cooker steamed potatoes already in the fridge, which makes air frying smashed potatoes even faster, we do show you how to make the recipe from raw potatoes too, all in less than 40 minutes!
Serve the air fryer smashed potatoes with a complete air fryer meal like air fryer broccolini and our popular air fryer brats recipe.
Why You'll Love This!
- Making air fryer smashed potatoes (or crushed potatoes) is even quicker than the oven or any other cooking method!
- They're easy to customize the flavor based on your personal preferences. Loading them with your favorite baked potato toppings is simply divine!
- We show you how to make the smashed potatoes air fryer recipe starting with precooked potatoes OR raw whole potatoes.
- Crispy smashed potatoes in the air fryer are naturally gluten free and dairy free.
- Everyone will think you're a gourmet cook! But shhh, these are beyond simple and we won't tell anyone 😉
With just small potatoes like red or Yukon gold, plus a few basic seasonings, you'll have air fried smashed potatoes made in a flash!
- baby potatoes (red or Yukon gold)
- extra virgin olive oil
- garlic powder
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
Potato Varieties- While our air fryer smashed potato recipe is designed for the cute little baby potatoes whether we're talking the tiny variety, small, or medium sized, you could or course also smash a large baked potato after cooking or a whole sweet potato too.
An Air Fryer- We have a Cosori XL basket style air fryer, an Omni Plus oven style air fryer, and a small 3.2L Farberware basket style air fryer. The Cosori was used in this recipe
Step by Step Instructions
If you're starting with precooked potatoes, there are just a couple of simple steps to follow. Smash the potatoes (gently, don't beat them!), season, and air fry. So simple yet so gourmet!
However, you MUST precook the potatoes before making air fryer smashed potatoes or the recipe won't turn out. We'll show you how to cook them below if you don't already have a stash of steamed potatoes in your fridge.
Cooking the Whole Potatoes
Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 400 F.
Add as many small potatoes as desired to the air fryer basket or air fryer oven, making sure the potatoes are in a single layer.
If you already have pre-cooked potatoes, skip this step. Air fry the potatoes at 400 F for 18-20+ minutes until they're cooked through and easy to pierce with a fork, the timing can vary depending on the size of your potatoes. Flip over halfway through cooking. Let the potatoes cool slightly.
Making Smashed Potatoes
On a piece of parchment paper the size of your air fryer basket or oven, gently smash the cooked potatoes with the bottom of a measuring cup or mug. Don't smash too hard or the potatoes could fall apart.
Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle them to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic salt.
Carefully transfer the parchment paper with the smashed potatoes on top to the air fryer basket. Air fry the potatoes on one side for 5-8 minutes or until they're golden brown. The time will vary depending on whether you started with precooked cold potatoes or warm potatoes you just cooked.
Sprinkle with more seasoning if desired and add fresh parsley for color, optional. other great toppings are parmesan cheese, cheddar, cooked and crumbled bacon, sour cream, and/or fresh chives.
- To add cheese such as parmesan cheese or cheddar to the air fried smashed potatoes, sprinkle the cheese on the potatoes in the last minute of cooking.
- We used medium sized red potatoes, Yukon gold or fingerling potatoes also work great.
- Parchment paper isn't essential but it does help with transferring the potatoes or for easy clean-up. Foil should work also.
- If you have precooked cold potatoes they'll take longer to cook than potatoes you just cooked whole in the air fryer before air frying smashed potatoes.
Smashed potatoes in air fryer make a terrific healthy and easy side dish for all sorts of recipes such as chicken, pork, beef, or seafood. Just add a green vegetable like steamed broccoli or a green salad for a complete meal.
Leftover air fryer smashed potatoes will keep for up to 4-5 days in the fridge in an air tight container.
More Air Fryer Potato Recipes
Come connect with us on Instagram! Be sure to tag us (wholelotta.yum) when you make a recipe. You can also find us on Facebook, and Pinterest.
Leave a Reply