A delicious side dish, these air fryer steak fries are ready to join your burgers, steaks, and sandwiches. Made from scratch, our hand-cut Russet steak fries are seasoned simply with sea salt and pepper then they are roasted in the air fryer for 20-minutes, giving you a homemade side that is a whole lot of easy and a WHOLE LOTTA YUM.
Steak Fries in Air Fryer
We have been in a potato kind of mood lately and our air fryer is doing an amazing job of keeping up with us. Between these air fryer steak fries and our homemade air fryer french fries, the air fryer has been busy working to make the perfect un-fried potato.
Yet all of this experimentation create two amazing things.
One, some fabulous memories with my family as we worked to change and tweak, improve and perfect our air fryer steak fries.
And, two, some absolutely perfect homemade steak fries. 😉
We love pairing steak fries with either air fryer hamburgers or air fryer turkey burgers. They would also go quite well with both air fryer bratwurst, pulled pork or BBQ air fryer ribs.
Why You'll Love This!
- Better than take-out, our air fryer steak fries are homemade fries made from fresh, raw Russet potatoes and seasoned to perfection.
- Your steak fries in air fryer can be ready in as little as 20-minutes!
- Our steak fries air fryer recipe is perfect for those who follow vegan, gluten-free, paleo, or dairy-free eating plans.
- The whole recipe needs just 4 ingredients to make the best homemade steak fries!
A total kitchen power-house, the air fryer is a versatile gadget that makes cooking a breeze! Make the most of your air fryer when you make a complete dinner in it by pairing your air fryer steak fries with these air fryer steak bites and this roasted air fryer broccoli dish.
Russet potatoes and some kitchen basics are all you need to make restaurant-quality steak fries at home in your air fryer.
- Russet potato - 12-13 oz, skin on
- fine sea salt
- black pepper
- olive oil
- Seasoning - Other seasoning ideas include garlic salt, sea salt and pepper, or Johnny's seasoning.
An Air Fryer- We have a Cosori XL basket style air fryer, an Omni Plus oven style air fryer, and a small 3.2L Farberware basket style air fryer. The Cosori was used in this recipe.
Step by Step Instructions
Making air fryer steak fries at home can be as simple as slice, season, and air fry. Or, you can opt for the optional cold water bath if you prefer extra-crispy steak fries.
Hand cut the potato into ½" strips leaving the peel on. They don't need to be perfect but should be in close of size as possible.
To get the fries extra- crispy, add the uncooked fries to a medium-sized bowl and cover them with cold water. Let them sit in the bowl for 1 hour. Drain the water.
***NOTE: You can skip this step if you don't have time but it does reduce the starch and increase the crispness of the final fries.
Blot steak fries dry with paper towels.
In a bowl, combine potato strips with the fine sea salt, black pepper, and olive oil. Toss the ingredients together to coat the fries.
Steak Fries Temperature
Preheat the air fryer to 380 F for 5 minutes. If your air fryer does not have a preheat feature, you can make your own by turning the unit on and allowing it to run at 380F for at least 5-minutes prior to cooking your air fryer steak fries.
Steak Fries Cooking Time
Spread the fries in an even layer in the air fryer basket, making sure the steak fries do not touch.
Do not overcrowd your air fryer basket or try as it will reduce crispiness and not allow the steak fries to cook properly in the time allotted. You will have to cook in batches.
Cook a single batch for 18-20+ minutes, flipping the fries halfway through cooking.
Serve with you favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
- Air fryer models can vary slightly, so keep an eye on your air fryer steak fries the first few times you make them to ensure they cook properly.
- Soaking the water for an hour helps to reduce starch and get them extra crispy but it isn't an essential step if you don't have the time.
- Whether you opt to soak your steak fries prior to air frying or not, be sure to blot them dry with a paper towel. This helps the seasonings to stick and the fries crisp up.
- Overcrowding your air fryer will result in undercooked, soggy steak fries. For best results, leave ample room for the warm air to circulate and cook in multiple batches.
Your air fryer steak tips will pair very well with air fryer burgers, BBQ air fryer ribs. or air fryer steak tips and make a dinner that you are sure to love.
No, they are not. Home fries are cut into tiny cubes and often served with breakfast. Steak fries are thicker-cut fries often served with steak or other meaty dishes.
Preheat your air fryer to 400F and cook your frozen steak fries for 15-20 minutes, flipping after 10 minutes.
More Air Fryer Fries Recipes
- Air Fryer Homemade French Fries
- Air Fryer Frozen Waffle Fries
- Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
Come connect with us on Instagram! Be sure to tag us (wholelotta.yum) when you make a recipe. You can also find us on Facebook, and Pinterest.
Leave a Reply