This orange cranberry sauce recipe is perfect when you want homemade crockpot cranberry sauce for your holiday table! We are combining fresh cranberries, orange peel and slices, sugar, and Zinfandel or rose' wine then slow cooking it to cranberry sauce perfection!
Crockpot Cranberry Sauce
This crockpot cranberry sauce recipe is our family's go-to recipe each year. My dad has been making it for over 15 years and let me tell you....it's one of those recipes you just want to stand at the counter and eat off of the spoon! The cranberry sauce will turn cranberry haters into lovers!
With fresh fruit, spices, and a sweet wine it's a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- With just 10-minutes of prep-time, this orange cranberry sauce recipe is the easiest recipe you will find!
- Unlike stovetop recipes, our slow cooker cranberry sauce is easy to make and won't leave you with a messy stovetop.
- Simply combine the ingredients and let the slow cooker do all of the work while you get all of the credit for this super flavorful and kid-approved homemade cranberry sauce.
- The recipe is gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan. A lower sugar option is included below.
If you're looking for even more Thanksgiving recipes be sure to check out our fryer turkey breast, Cauliflower broccoli salad, or our Brussel sprouts au gratin.
And if you're looking for a quick and easy stovetop version without sugar, be sure to try our keto cranberry sauce.
- Fresh cranberries- fresh is recommended, you can use frozen but it adds extra moisture to the sauce.
- Granulated sugar - coconut sugar can be substituted
- Zinfandel white wine - any sweet wine will work like a rose'
- Cinnamon stick
- Orange peel - grated
- Orange - segments cut into ¾ inch pieces
- Currants - you can also substitute raisins
- If you are not a fan of Zinfandel try orange juice instead.
- In place of currants, raisins are also a great addition.
Step by Step Instructions
Just a few simple steps, and a little bit of patience, stand between you and the best homemade orange cranberry sauce recipe ever!
Wash the orange and dry it with a paper towel. Zest the orange with the fine side of a box grater or with a kitchen Microplane zester until you have 1 teaspoon of orange zest.
In the crockpot combine 12 oz cranberries, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup Zinfandel, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 orange (segmented), and orange zest.
Cover and cook on high for 5 to 7 hours until at least half of the cranberries pop.
Remove the cinnamon stick and stir in the currants.
Cool your homemade cranberry sauce to room temperature, then chill in the fridge.
- If Zinfandel is not your preferred white wine, feel free to use a sweet white while of your choice or rose wine.
- To make your orange cranberry sauce recipe without alcohol, use orange (and reduce the sugar), apple juice, or grape juice.
- Your crockpot cranberry sauce will keep in the fridge for up to a week, so you can easily make this ahead of time!
- If your crockpot is big enough, feel free to double this recipe!
- If you want to stay away from granulated sugar try these sweeteners instead: honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, and low carb sweeteners such as monk fruit or erythritol. If you are substituting, reduce the amount of sweetener you add.
You can store homemade cranberry sauce for up to 10-14 days in the fridge in a covered container.
Traditionally a Thanksgiving side dish, orange cranberry sauce pairs well with roasted turkey, air fryer turkey breast (if you don't want to cook a whole bird), Brussel sprouts au gratin, mashed potatoes, and air fryer green beans. Plus don't forget the sweet potatoes and stuffing.
Yes! Best frozen in airtight containers, homemade cranberry sauce, once cooled, can be frozen. It will keep for up to 3 months.
More Thanksgiving Recipes
Come connect with us on Instagram! Be sure to tag us (wholelotta.yum) when you make a recipe. You can also find us on Facebook, and Pinterest.
Leave a Reply