Our herb seasoned turkey thighs in air fryer recipe is the best way to air fry bone-in turkey thighs! Whether you are looking to make something different for dinner or simply want a smaller option for your holiday table, these herb-roasted turkey thighs with skin on are just the thing. A few minutes of prep work and just 25 minutes in the air fryerare all that stand between you and the WHOLE LOTTA YUM air fryer turkey thighs.
Air Fryer Turkey Thighs Recipe
Far too often turkey is a meat that we only enjoy once or twice a year for the holidays... but I think I'd like to try and change that! Turkey is such a versatile poultry option that is full of flavor and easy to prepare.
We love using our air fryer to make all kinds of poultry dishes including both turkey and chicken! If you are looking for additional air fryer turkey recipes, then look no further than our air fryer turkey cutlets or our air fryer turkey leg recipe. Or perhaps it's more turkey thigh recipes you're after?
Our air fryer turkey thighs recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner or your holiday table, especially when you're hosting a bunch of dark meat lovers! Seasoned with herbs, it pairs perfectly with roast potatoes or air fryer whole potatoes, air fryer sweet potato slices for a full roast turkey dinner, and any variety of roasted vegetables from broccoli to Brussel sprouts.
Why You'll Love This!
- With a cook time of just 25-minutes, our turkey thighs in air fryer recipe is the BEST way to enjoy delicious crispy skin, moist meat, and savory turkey thighs right in your own kitchen.
- Seasoned with a blend of herbs de Provence and garlic salt, plus pepper, butter, and oil, we are making sure that these roasted turkey thighs are bursting with flavor and crunch in each and every bite!
- Perfect for sticking to your healthy eating plans, air fryer turkey thighs are compliant with gluten-free, low-carb, and keto lifestyles. They can also easily be modified for Paleo (see diet adaptions below).
- We are making our air fried turkey thighs with bone-in, skin on pieces of meat to ensure your dinner is as flavorful as possible.
While there is nothing super fancy about the list of ingredients for our turkey thighs air fryer recipe, there is something magical that happens when you combine butter, oil, garlic salt, pepper, and herbs de Provence and smother bone-in turkey thigh pieces with them.
- turkey thighs - with bone-in & skin on
- olive oil
- garlic salt
- ground black pepper
- herbs de Provence
- butter - melted (optional)
- If you don't have herbs de Provence, you can use Italian seasoning instead, fresh herbs like fresh rosemary, or dried herbs such as basil or thyme. Mixing in garlic powder, onion powder, or poultry seasoning is a great addition. Skipping the herbs entirely is another option or rub the skin with a poultry rub.
- Additionally, you can swap out the seasoning for something a little bolder with our smoked turkey dry rub seasoning.
- This same method works great with other air fryer recipes for turkey like turkey drumsticks, wings, or a whole turkey breast.
An Air Fryer- We used a Cosori XL basket style air fryer in this recipe.
Step by Step Instructions
Making our turkey thighs in air fryer recipe is so simple, you will want to add it to your regular meal plan rotation! We are going to start by seasoning our turkey thighs, cook on one side, flip, and then finish cooking. A quick rest to let the juices circulate and then your crispy air fryer turkey thighs are ready for your dinner plate.
Mix the olive oil, garlic salt, ground pepper, and herbs de Provence in a small bowl.
With paper towels pat the turkey thighs dry on both sides to remove extra moisture. This is one of the keys to getting that extra crispy turkey skin.
Brush both sides of the turkey thighs with the oil and herb mixture and place the turkey on the air fryer rack with the top of the turkey thighs facing down.
Cook the seasoned turkey thigh pieces in a 370 F air fryer that has been preheated for 5 minutes.
Place the seasoned turkey thighs in a single layer in a preheated air fryer basket or oven and cook for 10 minutes.
Carefully flip the turkey and brush 1 tablespoon of butter on the turkey thighs. You can also drizzle pan juices from the bottom of the air fryer if desired.
Continue cooking until the internal temperature of the turkey thighs reaches at least 165 degrees F when a thermometer is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh meat, which is about 15+ more minutes. Thighs are technically cooked at 165 F but cooking up to 180 F often yields more succulent meat because the connective tissues don't start breaking down until the internal temperature is over 165 F.
Let the turkey thighs rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- For best results, and the crispiest turkey thighs, be sure to pat you chicken pieces dry on both sides with a paper towel prior to seasoning.
- Season both sides of the turkey thighs with oil and herbs mixture for the most robust flavor.
- While turkey is considered fully cooked at 165F, we do recommend cooking it slightly longer (to and internal temperature of 180F) as it will give you better tasting, more tender meat.
- Boneless turkey thighs or turkey legs can be cooked the same way, they'll just take a little less time to cook.
- While we cook most meats at a higher temperature, we turn down the heat a bit when cooking turkey since it takes a little longer cooking time to get turkey connective tissues to break down. Cooking turkey a little lower and slower is ideal for super juicy meat!
What to serve with turkey thighs?
Make your turkey thighs into a complete dinner when you pair them with air fryer potatoes, roasted vegetables, or typical holiday sides including stuffing and cranberry sauce.
How long does it take to cook a turkey thigh in an air fryer?
To cook turkey thighs in the air fryer, whether just one or two or a whole package, start by preheating your air fryer to 370F for 5 minutes. During this time you can pat your turkey thighs dry with paper towels and season them with your favorite poultry blend. Cook your prepared turkey thighs for 25+ minutes, flipping after the first 10 minutes, until they reach an internal temperature of at least 165F. For best results, cook your turkey pieces to 180F.
Can you cook frozen turkey thighs in an air fryer?
Yes, you can cook frozen turkey thighs in an air fryer. Start by preheating your air fryer for 5 minutes to 370F and seasoning your turkey pieces. Place the seasoned turkey pieces in the unit and cook for 15 minutes, then flip. Continue cooking for another 15+ minutes, until a digital meat thermometer reads 165F-180F.
How to store?
Store cooked turkey thighs for up to 4 days in the fridge in an airtight container. You can also store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Air Fryer Turkey Recipes
Looking for more turkey recipes?
- Air fryer turkey cutlets
- Air fryer turkey breast
- Air fryer boneless turkey breast (from frozen)
- Air fryer turkey bacon recipe
- Air fryer turkey burgers recipe
- Easy air fryer turkey legs
- Air fryer turkey tenderloin
- Turkey wings in air fryer