This keto white chicken chili is exactly the recipe you didn't know you were missing. With fresh ground chicken, green salsa and chilis, heavy whipping cream, and tons of fresh cheese, it's the perfect blend of spice and creamy flavor. It's a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Keto White Chili
This keto chicken chili recipe is a quick stovetop version of our keto chili without beans, except we swapped chicken for beef, green salsa for red sauce, and added cream and cheese. It almost reminds me of a cross between our beef keto chili and our green chili chicken casserole.
My husband even said this was his favorite recipe I made for the blog in the past month! Trust me, it's a winner!
The original plan was to keep the original keto chili recipe and just make the meat and sauce swaps, but traditional chili has bell peppers in it....which we did not have in our fridge or freezer. Being 2020 and all, we got resourceful and opened the pantry. Since we did have canned green chilis on hand, those became our bell pepper swap. And, if I do say so myself, mild green chilis were a great addition!
Why You'll Love This!
- Ground chicken is a great meat for chili and holds up well to both pan-frying and then simmering in the sauce.
- With both heavy cream and cheese in the sauce, this chili is a hearty meal.
- Green chilis are the perfect replacement for bell peppers and complement the cream and cheese.
- Made without beans, this white chicken chili is both low-carb and keto, plus it's naturally gluten-free!
This list might seem long, but it's going to be so worth it. And, since most of the items are ready to go the prep work is minimal but the flavor is max.
- ground chicken - you can also use boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes or cooked and shredded. Ground turkey or rotisserie chicken would be great too.
- onion - we used a white onion but red or sweet would work also.
- garlic - minced fresh garlic, from a whole garlic clove, frozen minced garlic, or jar garlic.
- green salsa
- taco seasoning - no sugar added or homemade
- green chilis - mild or hot canned chilis
- chicken broth - bone broth works well too
- heavy whipping cream - make sure the heavy cream is a brand with zero carbs.
- Monterey jack cheese - shredded, we prefer to shred our own to keep the carbs down
- Cream cheese - Instead of using heavy whipping cream you could use cream cheese in its place or do a 50/50 mix.
To keep the carbs as low carb as possible in the creamy white chicken chili, you'll want to either use store-bought taco seasoning that doesn't have sugar added OR make your own homemade taco seasoning and keep extra on hand for dinners in a hurry.
Step by Step Instructions
Keto green chicken chili is a one-pot meal and really, everything you need for your dinner is in that one bowl. It's also delicious served over cauliflower rice.
Heat 2 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
Cook the ground chicken until it's no longer pink, which takes about 10 minutes.
Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the grease from the pan.
Remove the chicken and set it aside.
Cook the onion until soft, which takes about 7-8 minutes. Feel free to add more oil to the pan to cook the onions, if needed.
Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 additional minute.
Mix in the jar of green salsa, the taco seasoning, diced green chilis, and chicken broth.
Stir to combine.
Heat the keto white chicken chili recipe until warm and starting to bubble.
Add the cooked chicken back to the pot and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Stir in the heavy cream and Monterey jack cheese until the cheese is melted.
Serve warm and enjoy! Makes 6 portions. Serve over cauliflower rice if desired.
Optional garnishes include more shredded cheese, cilantro, sour cream, avocado, jalapeno slices, olives, or green onions.
- Because ground chicken has less fat than ground beef you are going to want to make sure you add the oil to the pan before you start cooking it.
- Feel free to add some taco seasoning to your ground chicken while it is cooking for some extra flavor in your chili.
- If you'd prefer, you can opt for ground turkey instead of chicken for your low-carb chicken chili.
- While the whole dish can be ready after the 30-minute simmer, feel free to let the meal continue to simmer and the flavors continue to marinate. Just be sure to hold off adding your cream and cheese until you are ready to serve.
You can store any leftover low-carb chicken chili in the fridge in a covered container for up to 4 days.
Low carb white chicken chili is a one-pot meal and everything you need for your dinner is in that one bowl. You could include a simple green salad or rice cauliflower on the side.
Yes, you can freeze the low carb white chicken chili, but you are going to want to freeze it before you add the cream and cheese as these don't reheat well. Freeze your prepared chili for up to 3 months and add the dairy ingredients after it is warmed through.
More Keto Chicken Recipes
Looking for more keto chicken recipes?
And be sure to pin the recipe for later on Pinterest so you can easily get back to it!
V V V