Just in time for fall, we are whipping up this paleo butternut squash soup! With rich flavors including butternut squash, coconut milk, and garlic, and multiple cooking methods including instant pot and stovetop, this butternut squash soup recipe is a whole lot of easy and a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Whole30 Butternut Squash Soup
Fall is here and that means it's time for all things soup! This paleo butternut squash soup recipe is the perfect option to use up those garden-fresh veggies and serve a simple yet tasty dinner.
There is nothing like a bowl of soup on a fall evening. And while you can hit up the local grocery store and grab a can, why would you when you can create this homemade butternut squash soup? In our home, fresh is always best and this soup proves it.
And with both instant pot and stovetop instructions, there is a preparation method for every kitchen out there!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Starting with fresh butternut squash, this recipe offers the savory flavor you have come to expect from any butternut squash recipe.
- Seasoned with garlic, curry powder, and lime juice, our paleo butternut squash recipe has just the right hints of supporting flavor to bring out the best in squash soup.
- You can prepare this Whole30 butternut squash soup recipe easily using either your pressure cooker or your stovetop.
- Paleo, Whole30, gluten-free, dairy-free, low-carb.
- Butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and cut into 1" cubes
- Garlic cloves - minced
- Curry powder
- Coconut milk
- Chicken broth
- Lime juice
- Sea salt
- Black ground pepper
A Pressure Cooker - This is the Instant Pot model that we used. Either a 6 quart will work or you can double the recipe and use an 8 qt.
Step by Step Instructions
We are serving up the best paleo butternut squash recipe around and we are doing it two different ways!
Instant Pot Directions
Creating your butternut squash soup in the Instant Pot is as easy as prep, pressure cook, and finish!
Peel and cut 3lbs of butternut squash into 1" cubes.
Mince 3 tablespoon of garlic.
Add the cut butternut squash, 3 cups of chicken broth, and garlic to the instant pot. Do not stir.
Turn the Instant Pot on Manual High and close and seal the lid.
Pressure cook for 8 minutes followed by a quick release of the pressure.
Stir in 1 can of coconut milk, 1 tablespoon curry powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
With an immersion blender, puree the soup until it's a smooth consistency.
Stir in 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Add additional salt and pepper to your taste if needed.
***Note: If you don't have an immersion blender, transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and puree in 2 batches until it's smooth. Be careful about working with the hot liquid.
To make the paleo butternut squash recipe on your stovetop, add the cut butternut squash to a large stock-pot with the chicken broth.
Over medium-high heat bring the pot to a boil, turn down to medium and cook until the squash is tender, which takes about 15 minutes.
After simmering, add in the coconut milk, curry powder, salt, and pepper. With an immersion blender, puree the soup until it's a smooth consistency. Stir in the lime juice and adjust the seasonings to your taste. Enjoy!
- Cut the butternut squash as uniform as possible for even cooking.
- You can use either a large butternut squash that weighs 3 lbs or two small squash.
- Optional - add 2 teaspoon sweetener of choice if you want the soup to have a sweet touch.
- Garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk, cilantro, and pepitas or pine nuts.
- To make the soup vegan, swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream can be substituted for the coconut milk.
You can freeze butternut squash soup in an airtight container for up to 3-months.
With 15-net carbs per servings, butternut squash soup contains a lot of carbs for a keto meal, but it can work for low-carb or keto as long as you keep your carb-count low during the day and opt for no carb foods.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
Looking for more soup recipes?
- Low carb egg drop soup
- Keto chicken noodle soup (with zoodles)
- Chicken pozole
- Thai chicken coconut soup
- Whole30 zuppa toscana soup