This easy, creamy keto pizza soup recipe makes for a healthier pizza option that will quickly become a family favorite. Filled with pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, or customized with any pizza toppings you prefer, you can easily make this in the instant pot in under 30-minutes or as a crock pot pizza soup. It's a whole lot flavorful and a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Easy Pizza Soup Recipe
I can't think about eating pizza soup without thinking of my dad. He passed away 7 years ago, but this was a dish he enjoyed making for my kiddos when they were "wee little bairns," as he used to call them.
I mean, what would be better for kids than pizza as a soup with sneaky vegetables added in?! And I'm serious....this DOES taste like pizza!
While he used to serve his pizza soup recipe in a toasted bread bowl, it's also delicious without that for making this a keto pizza soup, or one that's gluten-free. This recipe isn't his exact pepperoni pizza soup, but it is my variation of his original.
I've changed it a little by cooking it in the instant pot and crockpot (he always made his on the stovetop), dropping the bread bowl, swapping the zucchini for mushrooms, and adding a touch of whipping cream.
Why You'll Love This!
- With a tomato base and heavy whipping cream, our low-carb pepperoni pizza soup is a hearty dinner that satisfies your weekly pizza craving without sabotaging your healthy eating plans.
- Truly customizable, keto pizza soup can be made with your favorite pizza toppings or you can be adventurous and try something new.
- Our pizza soup recipe has been adapted to fit with low-carb, keto, and gluten-free lifestyles. Make a vegetarian version as well by using the adaptions listed below.
- Filled with tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, and green peppers, keto pizza soup is a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies.
We love making low-carb and keto-friendly soups in our home. Filled with flavor, and never boring, soup is a dinner we love to eat and share with you! Be sure to check out our Instant Pot chicken crack soup, broccoli and cheese soup, and low carb taco soup.
On Keto? Grab our FREE keto foods list here OR Snag our Keto Binder HERE
The pepperoni pizza soup ingredients *almost* resembles a combination or supreme-style pizza. We decided to skip the cooked Italian sausage since we really wanted this to be "dump and go" for the instant pot and crockpot pizza soup.
- canned diced tomatoes
- chicken broth
- mushrooms - sliced
- garlic salt
- red or green bell pepper - cut into 1” pieces
- dried Italian seasoning
- Mozzarella cheese - shredded
- sliced black olives - drained
- whipping cream
- Garnish - Fresh basil and shredded parmesan (optional)
- Meats - We are using just pepperoni for our keto pizza soup, but feel free to add cooked Italian sausage, pre-cooked bacon, ham, or shredded chicken as well.
- Whipping Cream - We love using whipping cream, but if you would prefer to lighten up your soup you can skip it. It's delicious either way!
A Pressure Cooker - This is the Instant Pot model that we used.
A Crock Pot
- Keto/Low-Carb - While our pizza soup recipe is keto-friendly and low-carb, you are going to want to watch for hidden sugars in your canned tomatoes. Avoid hidden sugars in pre-shredded cheese by using block cheese and shredding your own.
- Paleo- skip the dairy and stir in plant based milk if you want to add a touch of creaminess
- Vegetarian - Make your keto pizza soup vegetarian by swapping the chicken broth for vegetable broth, skipping the meat, adding extra vegetables, and omitting the whipping cream and mozzarella (some vegetarians do eat dairy, but that is up to you).
Step by Step Instructions
No matter how you choose to cook it, your instant pot or crock pot pizza soup is super simple and ready for you dinner table. Kid-friendly, you can always have the kids right in the kitchen with you.
Prep the ingredients by slicing the mushrooms, dicing the bell pepper, and cutting the pepperoni pieces into quarters.
Instant Pot Instructions
Add all of the ingredients except the whipping cream, shredded cheese, and garnishes to the pot, which means: the diced tomatoes in juice, chicken broth, sliced mushrooms, diced pepper, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, black olives, and pepperoni.
Cook on MANUAL ( or PRESSURE COOK) for 1 minute.
Do a natural release for 3 minutes and then do a quick release.
Slowly stir in the cheese. I usually do this in a few small batches and make sure to fully mix the cheese before adding in more. If you dump all of the cheese in at one time it sometimes doesn't fully break down, or even worse it sinks and sticks to the bottom of the pot.
Once the cheese is melted, add the whipping cream. Since the soup is already so hot, it works perfectly fine to mix the cold whipping cream in even if the pot is off.
Serve and enjoy!
Crock Pot Instructions
Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, mushrooms, bell pepper, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning to the crockpot.
Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
Stir in the pepperoni, olives, shredded cheese (mix in batches to keep it from clumping), and whipping cream and keeping the setting on low, heat until the soup is warm throughout.
Serve your crock pot pizza soup immediately. Enjoy!
- We sliced the pepperoni slices into quarters, but you could also use the mini pepperonis as well.
- Be sure to add the cheese to the soup slowly and allow it to incorporate fully to avoid clumping.
- This recipe doubles easily for a crockpot or you can also double it if you have an 8 qt pressure cooker.
- If you aren't watching your carbs or eating gluten-free, the pizza soup can be served in a bread bowl or you can add garlic toast croutons or tortellini pasta.
If you are trying to stay low-carb or gluten-free, we recommend serving your keto pizza soup with a simple side salad. If you are not trying to follow a specific eating plan, you can serve your soup in a bread bowl like my Dad would have or topped with croutons.
Store any leftover pepperoni pizza soup in the fridge in a covered container and use within four days.
You can freeze pizza soup, but you are going to want to freeze it before you add the cheese or whipping cream. It will last in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you are ready to serve it, thaw and warm then add the cheese and whipping cream.
More Keto Soup Recipes
Looking for more keto soup recipes?
- Low Carb Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Low Carb Egg Drop Soup
- Keto Chicken Noodle Soup with Zoodles
Come connect with us on Instagram! Be sure to tag us (wholelotta.yum) when you make a recipe. You can also find us on Facebook, and Pinterest.
I put the mozzarella in and it didn't integrate well into the soup and I was left with clumps of cheese. I think that next time I will use parmesan as I think it will melt better. Other than that I thought it was delicious.
We highly recommend using cheese from a ball you shred yourself, the pre-shredded cheese adds potato starch which makes it harder to melt and blend in. I also recommend stirring in the cheese a little at a time until the first bit is mixed in and then add a little bit more. Sorry that the cheese clumped but I'm glad you liked the flavor!
Tammy Blizzard says
I made it how I like pizza - italian sausage and pepperoni, mushrooms and onions. I dropped the pepper and olives.
I did use fresh garlic instead of garlic salt, and then sprinkled the mozzarella on at the end b/c I was afraid it wouldn't melt and integrate well in the soup.
I also separated a portion out and put pasta in my family's share. An easy way for me to get the low carb I want, and the pasta they can eat!
Delicious and will make again!
This soup was fabulous. I did the crockpot version and I also added a pound of ground beef to make it a little more “heavy”. I was delicious!
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing about the ground beef idea, cooked ground Italian sausage would be tasty too!
Cathy Pelletier says
Can this Soup be frozen? Thx
Ludona Smith says
I rarely make one of your recipes as soon as I've read it, but today I did make the Creamy Pizza Soup! Even with a change and an omission it is terrific! Next time I'll have cream instead of Greek yogurt and frozen chopped green pepper!
Thanks for the feedback on the pizza soup! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Frozen peppes and yogurt sound like a great variation 🙂