With heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese, we are going to show you just how wonderful a hot bowl of broccoli cheese soup (Instant Pot) can be! This delicious and easy broccoli soup is tastes like it came from a restaurant, but it’s simply a homemade pressure cooker dinner that is ready in under 30-minutes and definitely a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
I don’t know about you, but a cup of hearty broccoli cheddar soup is one of the finest recipes out there. If you’ve ever had the Panera broccoli cheese soup–which is AMAZING!–this homemade instant pot version is even better!
While this broccoli cheese soup instant pot recipe is a one-pan dinner, there are times when something more is needed. Instant pot beer brats pair perfectly with this broccoli and cheddar soup, as does a side salad.
Why You’ll Love This!
- Our broccoli cheese soup instant pot recipe is the perfect quick dinner option pressure cooking for just 1-minute!
- Filled with all the robust flavors you would expect from cheddar broccoli soup, we are starting out with simple kitchen basics including onions and garlic, to create a restaurant-quality soup at home.
- To add depth to your broccoli cheese soup instant pot recipe we are using 3 different types of dairy so you can create that creamy soup consistency you know and love.
- Not only is our broccoli cheese soup instant pot recipe super easy to make at home, but it’s also perfect for low-carb, keto, gluten-free, and sugar-free eaters alike. It can be vegetarian compliant as well with a quick adaption (listed below).
We love using our Instant Pot to create a wide variety of soups in our home. Be sure to check out our Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup, our Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup, or our Creamy Chicken Taco Soup (Instant Pot) the next time you are in the mood for a piping hot bowl of soup.
No pressure cooker? No problem! We have a stovetop broccoli cheese soup available and the crockpot directions are listed below!
Your broccoli cheese soup instant pot recipe does require quite a few ingredients, but your effort will be rewarded with a dinner that is simple to prepare and tastes like it simmered for hours.
- garlic cloves – minced
- sweet onion – finely chopped
- broccoli – cut into small bite-sized pieces
- chicken broth
- shredded cheddar cheese – from a block not from a bag
- ground pepper
- ground cayenne pepper
- cream cheese
- whipping cream – or half and half
- You can use a mix of both broccoli and cauliflower in place of broccoli only.
- Feel free to add precooked chicken (like these panfried tenders), leftover shredded chicken, or even rotisserie chicken to your soup.
- Other protein options include sliced sausage pieces and crumbled bacon.
- Use a blender or immersion blender to puree the soup after cooking.
A Pressure Cooker – This is the Instant Pot model that we used.
- Vegetarian – To make your broccoli and cheese soup vegetarian, swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- Keto/low carb – As written, the recipe is already keto friendly and low carb. Just be sure to use whole fat dairy products that are ideally 0 carb.
Step by Step Instructions
As your broccoli cheese soup instant pot recipe needs just 1-minute of pressure cooking time, most of the work you do will be considered prepwork. This recipe comes together quickly, so be sure to prep your vegetables and cheese before you turn your instant pot on and begin cooking.
Chop, mince, dice, and shred all vegetables and cheese.
Melt the butter in your instant pot with the saute setting on high.
Saute the diced onions for 3-4 minutes, add minced garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
Add the broccoli, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and chicken broth to the instant pot.
Cover with your lid and be sure the valve is set to sealing.
Cook on manual high (or pressure cook depending on your model) for 1 minute.
Immediately do a quick release.
Stir in 1/2 cup of cream cheese until melted.
Add the whipping cream and stir until the cream of broccoli soup is heated through.
Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese a 1/2 cup at a time until melted. (Make sure it’s melted before adding another 1/2 cup. This prevents cheese clumping.)
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- For best results, make your broccoli cheddar soup instant pot recipe using fresh broccoli.
- While it may not seem like a 1-minute pressure cook is enough to cook your broccoli, it is! The pressure cooker will need about 10-minutes to come up to pressure and the broccoli will be cooking the entire time.
- Incorporate the diary slowly and stir completely before adding in more to prevent clumping.
No. Due to the dairy content, broccoli and cheese soup will not thaw well and become grainy. It’s best to eat this soup fresh, or store it in the fridge and eat within 3-days. It will become thicker after sitting, so you may need to add a little additional chicken stock or heavy cream when you reheat it.
Yes, it is! We are using full-fat dairy, shredding our own cheese, and skipping the traditional thickener (such as a roux made with butter and flour) to create a warm and creamy broccoli and cheese soup that is perfect for those who are trying to stay low-carb or keto.
Combine the broccoli, garlic, and onion in a crock-pot. (No butter is needed since you aren’t precooking the onion like the pressure cooker recipe did). Add the chicken stock, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Set your slower cooker to the LOW setting for 4-5 hours.
After 4+ hours when the broccoli and vegetables are cooked through, you’ll need to turn the heat to HIGH to finish cooking the soup.
We HIGHLY recommend grating your cheese from a block and not using pre-shredded cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is mixed with potato starch and it often doesn’t melt very well. You’ll get much better results if you grate your own cheese.
Mix in the shredded cheddar cheese a little at a time, if you stir it all in together cheese has a tendency to clump and stick. Take about a 1/2 cup of cheese at a time, and stir until it’s melted before adding another 1/2 cup of cheese.
Stir in the cream cheese until completely melted.
Other Easy Instant Pot Recipes:
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes?
- Instant Pot Beer Brats ~ Low Carb & Keto
- Easy Instant Pot Country Style Ribs
- Low Carb Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Pizza Soup
- Instant Pot Mississippi Roast
- 2 T butter
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups small broccoli florets
- 4 cups chicken broth ( or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups medium cheddar, shredded
- Melt the butter in your instant pot with the saute setting on high
- Saute the diced onions for 3-4 minutes, add minced garlic and cook for 30 more seconds
- Add the broccoli, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and chicken broth to the instant pot. Cook on manual high (or pressure cook depending on your model) for 1 minute. Immediately do a quick release.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of cream cheese until melted
- Add the whipping cream and stir until the cream of broccoli soup is heated through
- Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese a 1/2 cup at a time until melted. Make sure it's melted before adding another 1/2 cup. This prevents cheese clumping
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- Combine the broccoli, garlic, and onion in a crock-pot. Add the chicken stock, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Set your slower cooker to the LOW setting for 4-5 hours.
- After 4+ hours when the broccoli and vegetables are cooked through, you'll need to turn the heat to HIGH to finish cooking the soup.
- We HIGHLY recommend grating your cheese from a block and not using pre-shredded cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is mixed with potato starch and it often doesn't melt very well. You'll get much better results if you grate your own cheese.
- Mix in the shredded cheddar cheese a little at a time, if you stir it all in together cheese has a tendency to clump and stick. Take about a 1/2 cup of cheese at a time, and stir until it's melted before adding another 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Stir in the cream cheese until completely melted.
- Add the whipping cream and stir to combine. Serve immediately. You can substitute half n half if you want a soup slightly less rich.
- The broccoli cheddar soup thickens upon standing if it's thicker than you prefer simply add a little chicken broth until it's the desired consistency.
Whipping cream does not curdle under pressure but if you're trying to lighten the soup up a bit and want to swap half and half or milk, stir it in after pressure cooking.
To keep the soup keto friendly and low carb, look for 0 carb dairy products and be sure to shred the cheese from a block instead of buying pre-shredded.
Shredded cheese from a block works best in the recipe and melts better since pre-shredded packaged cheese is covered with potato starch and doesn't break down as well.
Feel free to swap out the vegetables for cauliflower to make a cauliflower cheese soup or change the type of cheese you're using.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 443Total Fat 41gCarbohydrates 5.1gNet Carbohydrates 4.8gFiber .3gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 11g
The nutritional data is just an estimate and based on the specific brands I purchased. If you're following a restricted diet, be sure to calculate this data for yourself manually or with your favorite nutritional app or website.