We are creating a creamy stovetop broccoli cheese soup keto recipe that is perfect as a lunch, dinner, or side! Made with fresh broccoli, heavy cream, cream cheese, and fresh cheddar, this low-carb broccoli and cheese soup is both flavorful and super simple to get on your table. You are just a few minutes away from a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
Broccoli cheese soup is a hearty, flavorful dish that we love in our home. Whether we are using fresh broccoli we grew in our own garden, or the fare we grab from the local farmers market, broccoli and cheese soup is always in season in our kitchen!
Yet soups don't always work well with certain dietary lifestyles. Our broccoli cheese soup keto recipe does though! Not only is our soup keto and low-carb, but it's also gluten-free and vegetarian when you follow our recipe.
Whether you are looking for a side dish for your dinner or a quick and simple lunch, this keto soup recipe is just the thing!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- With fresh broccoli, our broccoli cheese soup keto recipe lets the flavor of the vegetable take center stage.
- Supporting the broccoli, of course, is a base of onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and just a dash of cayenne. Never too spicy, this low-carb broccoli and cheese soup has the perfect blend of seasonings.
- With heavy cream, cream cheese, and cheddar, our broccoli cheese soup is rich and hearty, yet healthy enough for even the most limiting dietary lifestyles.
Are you looking for more flavorful keto soups
to add to your fall rotation? Then look no further than our chicken bacon ranch soup, low carb taco soup, and low carb eggdrop soup!
On Keto? Grab our FREE keto foods list here OR Snag our Keto Binder HERE
- Butter - if using salted butter reduce additional salt added.
- Onion - any kind will work! Red, yellow, or sweet.
- Garlic - fresh minced garlic is best
- Broccoli - washed and cut into small florets. Use can use broccoli crowns or bags of broccoli florets if preferred.
- Chicken broth - use vegetable broth to make it vegetarian
- Cream cheese - room temperature and cut into cubes
- Heavy whipping cream - look for 0 carb whipping cream brands
- Cheddar cheese - fresh, shredded cheddar from the block
- Seasoning- sea salt, pepper, cayenne pepper
- Feel free to add precooked chicken (like these panfried tenders), shredded chicken, or even leftover rotisserie chicken to your soup.
- Other protein options include sliced sausage pieces and crumbled bacon.
- Cauliflower is also a great addition. Substitute some of the broccoli with cauliflower for a great broccoli and cauliflower cheese soup!
- Vegan- Use vegetable broth instead of chicken and a cheese substitute.
- Gluten-Free- Be sure to read the labels on your chicken stock.
- Keto- To keep carbs as low as possible use block cheddar cheese and shred it yourself. Pre shredded cheese is coated with potato starch to prevent sticking.
Step by Step Instructions
This hearty and comforting soup is a super simple dish that requires a little bit of prep, a little bit of cook, and a little bit of patience.
All of which will be rewarded in about 40-minutes.
Wash and dry your broccoli crowns. Cut the florets off and discard the stalk or save for broccoli rice.
Cut your onion and mince your garlic.
In a large pot over medium heat melt the butter and add the onion. Cook the onion until it softens, which takes about 3-4 minutes.
Add in the minced garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
Add the broccoli, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and chicken broth to the pot.
Gently press the broccoli down into the liquid to make sure it's covered as much as possible by the chicken broth.
Put the lid on the pot and reduce the heat down to low.
Simmer until the broccoli is completely cooked and the soup mixture is heated through.
Stir the cream cheese into the soup.
Add the whipping cream and bring to a warm temperature over low heat.
Once the soup is fully heated, in ½ cup batches stir the cheddar cheese into the soup. Do this step slowing, making sure to fully melt the cheese before adding more.
Serve warm and enjoy! Top with additional shredded cheddar, if desired.
- To find the freshest broccoli, look for crowns that are dark green and without a lot of gaps.
- Cook the broccoli to your preferred doneness but remember it will continue cooking while you add the cheese in.
- Use full-fat dairy to get the best flavor with the least amount of carbohydrates.
- Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature before you add it in. It makes it easier for the cheese to incorporate into the soup. If your cream cheese is in the fridge, microwave it for 15-30 to soften it.
- Gently whip the cream cheese with a whisk to help it incorporate.
- Add the slowly dairy over low heat to prevent curdling.
- Fully incorporate the cheddar cheese each time before you add more to prevent the cheese from clumping on the bottom on the pot.
- You can add a little xanthan gum to thicken the soup if you prefer yours thicker.
Server your broccoli cheese soup with your favorite proteins such as instant pot beer brats or air fryer frozen chicken breast. Serve with a side salad for a light lunch or dinner.
You can use half n half instead of cream and still be low-carb, but you will not have a keto recipe.
Unfortunately, no, you cannot freeze this soup. Once the dairy is added the soup will not reheat from frozen without becoming gritty.
More Keto Soup Recipes
Looking for more keto soup recipes?
Come connect with us on Instagram! Be sure to tag us (wholelotta.yum) when you make a recipe. You can also find us on Facebook, and Pinterest.
Barbara West says
Instructions call for adding salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper, but none are listed in the ingredients? Cayenne can be a very strong spice.
Thank you so much Barbara! I've fixed the recipe card. It's 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, and 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper.