This white chicken chili instant pot recipe is just what your fall dinner table is looking for! With white meat chicken, canned beans, and green chilis, this healthy chicken chili is bursting with flavor!
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
Fall is here and that means it's the perfect time for all things chili! With our white chicken chili instant pot recipe, you can whip up a hearty and healthy chili that tastes like it took all day (but it didn't!).
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- With white meat chicken and white beans, your white chicken chili instant pot recipe is homemade and super healthy!
- Cumin, oregano, and chili powder combine to create a flavor that is subtle yet satisfying even for those who don't care for traditional beef chili.
- Using the power of your pressure cooker, you can create this entire white chicken chili in under an hour.
- The pressure cooker white chili is low fat, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast - chicken thighs would also work well
- Great Northern beans - drained, these are sometimes called white kidney beans or cannellini beans. Feel free to mix up the beans and use one can of white and one can of black beans or kidney beans.
- White onion - diced, red or sweet will also work.
- Garlic -minced, we love to buy frozen minced garlic that we just pop in the microwave for 10 seconds to defrost.
- Diced Green chilis- mild or spicy work depending on your preference. Chili verde salsa makes a great substitute for green chilis in a pinch.
- Dried Seasonings- cumin,oregano, chili powder, sea salt
- Chicken broth
- Olive oil
- Monterey Jack cheese - shredded. This is optional and can be omitted to make a dairy-free version.
- Optional - avocado, sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips, extra cheese
A Pressure Cooker - This is the Instant Pot model that we used. Either a 6 qt or 8 qt unit works well.
Step by Step Instructions
This white chicken chili instant pot recipe is so simple! Saute onions, add ingredients, pressure cook, shred, and enjoy!
Dice your onions and mince your garlic.
Turn your instant pot to Saute and allow it to heat up. The pot is ready when it says Hot.
Add the olive oil, diced onion, green chilis, salt, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper to the instant pot and saute until the onion is softened. This will take about 3-4 minutes to cook.
Stir in the minced garlic and saute for 1 more minute until fragrant.
Turn the pressure cooker off.
Pour in the chicken broth and scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pot. Making sure to always scrape up anything from the bottom of the pot helps to prevent getting a burn signal when you're cooking.
Add the canned white beans and lay the chicken breasts on top, pushing it down into the liquid as much as possible.
Put the lid on the Instant Pot and pressure cook on High (or manual) for 20 minutes.
Do a natural release for 10 minutes followed by a quick release to release any remaining pressure.
Remove chicken and shred it with two forks. Add the chicken back to the pot and combine all of the pressure cooker white chicken chili ingredients together.
Slowly mix in 1 ½ cups of shredded Monterey Jack after cooking. It works best to add the cheese in batches and then letting it melt before adding more. This helps keep the cheese from clumping.
Serve with cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, avocado, shredded cheese, and sour cream.
- If you have either a 6 qt or 8 qt pressure cooker, the recipe is easy to double, which we highly recommend for leftovers, large families, or to freeze some for later.
- Add more salt if desired, we kept it on the lighter side and used a low sodium chicken broth.
- Great Northern beans are sometimes called white kidney beans or cannellini beans at the grocery store.
- If you prefer a super thick chili, drain off some of the liquid before mixing in the cheese.
Serve your white bean chicken chili instant pot recipe with your favorite rolls, corn bread, or a side salad.
You can freeze this chili for up to 3 months. Prior to freezing, do not add the cheese and allow it to cool. Place in an airtight container and frees. To reheat, defrost then warm in a pot on the stovetop and slowly add in the cheese just before serving.
Yes, with a 6 qt or 8 qt pressure cooker.