Our instant pot chicken drumsticks recipe will get you perfectly cooked teriyaki chicken on your table in under 30 minutes, even if you are using frozen chicken! Add your favorite sides, and you will have a dish that is super flavorful and a WHOLE LOTTA YUM that your whole family will love.
Why This Recipe Works
With just 3 ingredients, teriyaki flavored instant pot chicken drumsticks is the easiest recipe for busy weeknight dinners.
- Whether you are using fresh or frozen chicken drumsticks, you can have teriyaki drumsticks on your table in under 30 minutes.
- Using the instant pot, we are locking in all of the flavors from both the chicken and the broth.
- Serve as-is from the pressure cooker or top with your favorite teriyaki or BBQ sauce to finish off the dish.
- Teriyaki chicken drumsticks are the perfect main dish for those who prefer healthy dinners, gluten-free meals, and low-carb or keto diet followers.
Gather the following ingredients, then let's get to pressure cooking some amazing teriyaki chicken in the instant pot!
- Chicken legs
- Liquid - chicken broth, apple juice, pineapple juice, or water
- Sauce - teriyaki or BBQ
You can season the chicken prior to cooking with salt & pepper to taste or the seasoning of your choice.
A Pressure Cooker - This is the Instant Pot model that we used.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Legs
Now that you have your ingredients and your instant pot, it's time to cook your teriyaki instant pot chicken drumsticks.
Add 1 cup of liquid to your instant pot.
Place the trivet into the pot and add your 5 chicken drumsticks.
Lock your lid and make sure the valve is set to sealing.
Set your instant pot to manual (pressure cook on some models) for 12 minutes. ***Note: It may take up to 10 minutes for your instant pot to come up to pressure.
Use the quick release feature to release pressure as soon as the cook time is complete.
Remove the chicken from the pressure cooker and place in an oven-save dish.
Brush your chicken drumsticks with your favorite teriyaki sauce and broil for 2-3 minutes with your pan 4" away from the broiler.
This step is optional, but adds the charred or grilled look to your chicken drumsticks.
Serve and enjoy!
- For the liquid, any will do whether you opt for water, chicken broth, pineapple juice, or apple juice. When we add juice we typically split it 50/50 with broth or water.
- If you are cooking frozen chicken drumsticks, add 3-5 minutes of pressure cooking time to the instant pot.
- Feel free to marinate the chicken in teriyaki sauce for 2+ hours if you have the time. This will infuse the teriyaki flavor deep inside the chicken!
- Use BBQ sauce in place of terriyaki for a flavorful BBQ chicken drumstick.
- Your instant pot will take up to 10 minutes to come up to pressure.
Can you cook instant pot chicken legs from frozen?
Yes, you can cook pressure cooker chicken drumsticks from frozen, simply add about 3 more minutes to the cooking time. The pot will take a little longer to come to pressure.
Pre-frozen chicken legs that are frozen into individual pieces will give you the best results. If yours are one big block all stuck together, they WILL take longer to cook. An estimate is to open up the pot after 12 minutes, break the chicken apart and add 5 more minutes to the cooking time.
What to Serve with Pressure Cooker Chicken Legs?
How do I double the recipe?
You can easily double the recipe by stacking the chicken legs on top of each other. You will want to also increase the liquid to 1 ½ cups. We don't recommend doubling the recipe if you are cooking frozen chicken.
Is this recipe keto?
If you're wondering if instant pot drumsticks are keto, they are as long as any sauces and seasoning you add are keto-friendly. Primal Kitchen makes a great line of keto, gluten-free, and paleo sauces that work great as a marinade or for extra flavor.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
Looking for more pressure cooker chicken recipes?