Instant Pot Mexican shredded chicken is quick, flavorful, and seriously the easiest and most delicious shredded chicken. With just a few minutes of prep work, you can create shredded chicken in your Instant Pot perfect for tacos, enchiladas, and a wide variety of Mexican-style chicken dishes. You won’t believe how easy it to make Instant Pot shredded chicken for your whole family.
Plus, pressure cooker Mexican chicken is perfect for low carb, keto, paleo, gluten-free, and Whole30 eating plans! The chicken by itself is also dairy-free. One note of caution though, to stay within your low-carb lifestyle, be sure to prepare your shredded chicken with salsa doesn’t have added sugar.
Always be mindful of hidden carbs. 😉
I have to admit I love my Instant Pot for creating healthy meals that my family loves! If you love using your Instant Pot as much as I do be sure to check out some other Instant Pot recipes including Instant Pot chicken noodle soup, Instant Pot frozen chicken breasts, and Instant Pot chicken stew!
A printable recipe card is at the bottom of the post
This post may include affiliate links, including links to Amazon products. This means if you make a purchase using my link, I make a small commission – at no cost to you. I ONLY recommend products I use myself and love. Read the full disclosure here.
Mexican Shredded Chicken (Instant Pot Recipe)
In our house, Sunday is always a meal-prep day. My husband and I spend the day in the kitchen making sure we are ready for a week of clean, healthy eating by making sure our meals are not only planned but as prepped as we can.
This means on Sundays my Instant Pot really gets a workout!
While I knew I could make Mexican shredded chicken in my crockpot, and have in the past, I wanted to try it out in my Instant Pot. I already knew the crockpot method worked, I just didn’t really care for the hours involved in waiting for the slow cooker to cook. Slowly.
So off I went to take my beloved and often used crockpot recipe and see how well it would come out in the Instant Pot.
And since I’m sharing the recipe with you, I bet you can already guess it worked really well. So well, I think it just might be better in the Instant Pot than the crockpot… plus, it’s done so much faster. That, my friend, is win-win!
Why This Recipe Works
- Just 3 ingredients! Seriously. I don’t think it could get any easier!
- Perfect for meal-prepping. Making a double batch of Mexican shredded chicken in your Instant Pot means you can cook once and eat twice.
- You don’t have to spend a lot of time on this recipe. Simply add the ingredients to the Instant Pot, pressure cook, and let it do its thing.
- By pressure cooking the chicken in the salsa you add an element of flavor you can’t get by simply adding the salsa to the chicken later.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Tacos
This Mexican shredded chicken only needs just three ingredients, making this one of the easiest Instant Pot meals whether you are feeding 2 or 20.
Just be sure your salsa doesn’t have added sugar if you are trying to follow a low-carb eating plan.
And watch the taco seasoning as well, especially if you are purchasing a mixture at the store. You can find taco seasoning that doesn’t include a lot of the sugars or artificial ingredients by opting for an organic brand like Simply Organic available at Kroger. Or, you could make your own taco seasoning at home – it’s quite easy. One package of store-bought taco season equals 2 Tbsp of the homemade stuff.
Ingredients needed for Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken:
- 2 lb fresh chicken breasts
- 12 oz salsa (chunky, mild, or medium – your choice)
- 1 taco seasoning packet
How to Make Pressure Cooker Chicken Tacos
This a dump and go recipe, so minimal prep-work is going to be needed on your part.
However, if your chicken breasts are huge (mine were 1 pound each!) you are going to want to cut them up a little. 5-6 pieces, each around the same size, is what I went with.
Once the chicken breast is ready, simply add the chicken, salsa, and taco seasoning to the Instant Pot. This recipe does not need any additional liquid thanks to the salsa.
Set your Instant Pot to Manual (or pressure cook on some models) for 10 minutes.
Natural release for 5 minutes.
To shred your Mexican chicken either use a hand mixer right in the Instant Pot (including the liquid) or remove the chicken and use your stand mixer. Be sure to grab the liquid! This liquid contains the flavor of the taco seasoning and the salsa, and adds just the right amount of both juiciness and flavor to the final dish.
*** Note: Some recipes will suggest overcooking your chicken by up to 10 additional minutes to make it easier to shred, especially if you are doing the work by hand. However, instead of serving overcooked chicken, I prefer to cook it just 10 minutes and then shred my chicken using my Kitchen-Aid. You could also use an electric hand mixer as well.
Add a little garnish (optional).
Making Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Taco Bowls
Your Instant Pot shredded Mexican chicken is perfect to use in a variety of ways. Tacos, taco bowls (see that picture!) and enchiladas are a given. You could also top Mexican corn salad with your shredded chicken, or simply wrap it up in either a lettuce leaf or a tortilla and top it with your favorite veggies. It’s a great item for when you are serving a large crowd, or need something to bring to a pot luck.
And because the shredded chicken itself is already compliant with most low-carb eating plans, you can easily serve a group of both low-carb eaters and those who don’t follow dietary restrictions. Simply be sure you have plenty of low-carb options available.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Pressure cooker chicken noodle soup
- Instant pot chicken stew (Cuban style)
- Instant pot chicken breasts from frozen
And be sure to pin the recipe for later on Pinterest so you can easily get back to it!
V V V
We’d Love to Hear From You!
Have questions or feedback? Please ask questions or post feedback on the post comments.
Tap That Recipe Review Star! Be sure to leave a review after you make the instant pot shredded chicken tacos recipe or just tap the star rating you’d give the recipe!
Show Us Those Photos! Be sure to upload your instant pot Mexican shredded chicken recipe photos on the Pinterest pin and/or tag us on Instagram at @wholelotta.yum! We LOVE featuring reader recipes!
- 2 lb fresh chicken breasts
- 12 oz salsa (chunky mild or medium)
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- Cut the chicken into 5-6 oz size pieces.
- Add the chicken breasts, jar of salsa, and taco seasoning to the pressure cooker, no extra liquid is needed.
- Pressure cook on Manual (or Pressure Cook depending on your model) for 10 minutes.
- Natural release 5 minutes
- Add 1 cup of the pot liquid to the chicken before shredding.
- Shred the Mexican chicken with a hand-held mixer right in the pot or transfer it to a stand mixer.
- Great in tacos, taco salad, or as a shredded chicken taco bowl.
- Serves 8.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Fody Foods Vegan Taco Seasoning | Flavorful Blend | Low FODMAP Certified | Gut Friendly No Onion No Garlic | IBS Friendly Kitchen Staple | Gluten Free Lactose Free Non GMO | 4.02 Ounce
- Instant Pot Omni Plus Toaster Oven, 26L
- Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus 9-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Grain Maker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sous Vide, Bake, and Warmer|6 Quart|Easy-Seal Lid|14 Programs