There’s nothing more satisfying than a hearty and healthy salad filled with your favorite taco toppings... unless it's this taco salad keto recipe! Our low-carb taco salad is definitely a family favorite and so simple to create for meal prep! In less than 30-minutes, we have a delicious bowl of taco goodness with a WHOLE LOTTA YUM flavor!
Keto Taco Bowl
When we go out to a Mexican restaurant, ordering a low-carb taco salad is always one of my go-to menu items. It’s easy to stick to a keto or low carb diet if you order either a taco salad (without the chips or crispy tortilla bowl on the side of course) OR something like fajitas.
But why always wait to go out to eat when you can make this taco salad keto recipe at home, whenever you want? All you need is a low-carb margarita on the side and you’re all set for an at-home Mexican fiesta.
We show you how to make this keto taco salad recipe with ground meat OR with shredded chicken, it’s nice to have a variety and change things up. This is also a simple recipe to make for one person, to meal prep keto taco salads for lunches, or double it to serve multiple people at once.
Why You'll Love This!
- Easily customize your taco salad keto recipe with ground turkey, shredded chicken, or lean ground beef based on your personal preferences.
- Keep the customizations going by sticking with our suggestions for vegetables, cheese, or salsa, or get creative by mixing and matching your favorite toppings.
- Keto taco bowls are a super easy way to meal prep lunches throughout the week! Alternating meat, veggies, and cheeses will help you stick to your eating style without getting bored.
- Enjoy the taste of the best keto Mexican salad right in your own home.
- Our keto taco salad recipe is a great way to stay on track with your low-carb, keto, and gluten-free lifestyles without ever sacrificing taste or texture. If you are looking to stay compliant with dairy-free, we have the adaptations listed below!
To make your taco salad keto recipe, you are going to need some meat, some veggies, and a few minutes of your time. We make turkey taco bowls all of the time, but sometimes it's nice to have a variety such as lean ground beef, or shredded chicken. Either way, the recipe steps are similar regardless of the kind of protein you decide to use.
- Ground Turkey - Ground chicken or lean ground beef are great alternatiecs
- Taco seasoning - packaged or 2-3 tablespoon homemade keto taco seasoning
- Lettuce - shredded
- Cheddar cheese - shredded
- Tomato - diced
- Red onion - small dice
- Sliced olives
- Sour cream
- Salsa - opt for a sugar-free variety
- Optional - Keto-friendly dressing, jalapenos, cilantro, green onions, guacamole, salt and pepper, low carb tortilla chips.
- Replace ground meat with your favorite shredded variety.
- Use spinach, shredded cabbage, or your favorite mix of leafy greens in place of iceberg lettuce.
- Cheddar is traditional when it comes to tacos, but you can also opt for Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, or a mixed blend.
- Dairy-Free - Remove cheese and sour cream for a delicious dairy-free keto taco salad.
Step By Step Instructions
In a skillet, cook the ground turkey on the stovetop and season with taco seasoning. Set aside until cools slightly.
Wash, dry, and chop the lettuce head and lay it in the bottom of 4 salad bowls.
To make individual salads top the lettuce with:
- ½ ground turkey (lean ground beef or chicken work great too)
- 1-2 cups shredded lettuce
- ¼ of an avocado
- ¼ cup of cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup of chopped tomato
- 1 Tbsp+ of diced red onion
- 2 tablespoon sliced black olives
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon salsa
To make a large salad:
- Place the lettuce at the bottom of a large serving bowl and top with avocado, tomato, onion, olives, and cheddar cheese.
- Serve sour cream and salsa on the side.
- To make your low-carb taco salad in just 15-minutes, chop the vegetables while the ground meat is cooking.
- To keep your taco salad keto recipe as low-carb as possible, we do recommend you make a homemade low-carb taco seasoning.
- If you are looking to add some crunch to your taco salad bowl, try adding pork rinds, keto tortilla chips, or cooked bacon (try our oven bacon recipe or our air fryer bacon recipe).
- To make your low-carb taco bowls for lunches, add all ingredients to a bowl or jar except the salsa and sour cream. Wait to add those until you are going to eat them to prevent the salad from becoming soggy.
Your keto taco salad will remain fresh and stored in the fridge, covered, for 3 days, as long as it does not have any salsa, sour cream, or dressing on it.
While ground meat is the most common for taco salad, you can also opt for shredded meat such as our Mexican shredded chicken.
Yes, as long as you skip tortilla chips or bowls, and watch the items you add in for hidden carbs. Check any sauces (such as salsa) for added sugar, use full-fat dairy instead of low-fat or non-fat options, and grate your own cheese from the block instead of using shredded cheese.
More Low Carb Mexican Recipes
- Keto chicken casserole with green chilis
- Chicken fajita bake
- Low carb taco casserole
- Keto taco pie
- Instant pot shredded chicken tacos
- Keto taco soup
- Keto taco seasoning
We'd Love to Hear From You!
Have questions or feedback? Please ask questions or post feedback on the post comments.
Tap That Recipe Review Star! Be sure to leave a review after you make the keto taco salad recipe or just tap the star rating you'd give the recipe!
Show Us Those Photos! Be sure to upload your low carb taco salad recipe photos on the Pinterest pin and/or tag us on Instagram at @wholelotta.yum! We LOVE featuring reader recipes!