With our homemade keto taco seasoning recipe, you won't have to sacrifice your carb counts or deal with questionable ingredients like with some store-bought sugar-laden taco seasonings. We are using a blend of common dried herbs and spices, most you probably have in your cupboard already, to help you whip up a low-carb taco seasoning in less than 10 minutes that is a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Homemade Keto Taco Seasoning
We make a lot of Mexican-inspired dishes in our home. It's a go-to style of cooking that allows us to enjoy some bold flavors and venture far away from home, without ever leaving our cozy little corner of the globe.
However, a lot of the store-bought sauces and seasonings available don't line up with the healthy lifestyle we try to follow - especially a low-carb. Thankfully, it's super easy to make a homemade taco seasoning that complies with many of the common healthy eating plans and tastes just as good (if not better!) than any packet you can pick up at the grocery store.
Plus, our homemade taco seasoning recipe doesn't have any questionable ingredients or chemicals. It's simply a mix of authentic herbs and spices that are exactly what your taco Tuesdays are calling for.
So the next time you are looking to make a keto taco salad, some Mexican shredded chicken, or even a low-carb taco soup, pass over the packet and instead reach for a bowl of your homemade no-sugar taco seasoning instead!
Why You'll Love This!
- Our homemade taco seasoning tastes better than store-bought seasoning and is ready in just a few minutes!
- Make your own taco seasoning mix at home makes it easy to adjust the seasoning to fit your preferences.
- When you have taco seasoning premade in your cupboard, or know how to make up a batch, you will never again have to make a last-minute, 5-o'clock run to the store again when you realize you are out of packet taco seasoning mix.
- Because we are making our homemade seasoning without added sugars, it's not only low-carb and keto, but it's also sugar-free, no-carb, gluten-free, paleo, Whole30, and dairy-free as well.
Looking for additional recipes to use our keto taco seasoning recipe in? Look no further than our most popular low-carb, Mexican-inspired dishes like green chili enchilada casserole, chicken fajita casserole, low carb taco casserole, low carb crock-pot taco soup, and crustless taco pie.
We are going to combine several different herbs and spices to make our keto-friendly taco seasoning, but most of them are probably in your spice cabinet already!
- chili powder
- garlic salt
- smoked paprika
- cayenne pepper
- ground black pepper
- Arrowroot - Most store-bought packets do include corn starch as a thickener. If you would like to include a thickener, but want to stay low-carb, arrowroot powder will work.
- No-sugar sweetener - We are skipping any sort of sweetener in our taco seasoning mix, but you may be partial to having some of that element simply because commercial packets do include sweeteners. If you would like to have a sweet element to your spicy mix, include a pinch of stevia, monk fruit, or erythritol.
Step by Step Instructions
It's ridiculously easy to make your own homemade keto taco seasoning, and once you make this recipe you'll NEVER go back to store-bought again! Not only does it taste better than store-bought, but it's also sugar-free and no carb taco seasoning too.
In a small bowl, add the chili powder, ground cumin, garlic salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and smoked paprika.
Stir to combine.
Store in an air tight container.
To use the homemade taco seasoning in tacos, you'll want to use 2- 3 tablespoon of the low carb taco seasoning recipe with 1 lb of ground beef. Feel free to add more than that if you want a stronger or spicier flavor.
- To make a less spicy version, the black pepper, cayenne, or chili powder can be reduced.
- Double or triple the recipe to use for tacos, fajitas, and other keto-friendly Mexican recipes.
- Arrowroot powder can be added as a thickener if you prefer to add water to the ground meat before adding the taco seasoning.
- Most store-bought taco seasonings have added sweetener, our homemade low carb version does not but a pinch of stevia, monk fruit, or erythritol can be added for a touch of sweetness.
Yes, but you are going to want to look for a seasoning that does not contain sugar, corn starch, or other fillers. Making your own homemade taco seasoning is ideal if you are following a keto lifestyle.
Store your keto taco mix in a small glass container with a lid, like a mini mason jar, and it will last a year or two as long as it's stored in a cool, dry place.
Yes! You can easily make double or triple of this taco seasoning keto recipe to use in your Mexican-inspired dishes.
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes
Looking for more Mexican-inspired recipes?