Crustless taco pie is a fantastic way to enjoy a variation from regular tacos, without the addition of gluten or processed carbs. You’ll love this low carb keto taco pie with ground beef that’s chock full of cheese and a savory sauce, topped with your favorite taco additions.
One recipe I’ve fond childhood memories of was my mom making a Bisquick taco pie that was such a hearty and delicious alternative to every day tacos.
While we haven’t been eating food is like Bisquick and are working to cut out processed ingredients and high carb foods, I wanted to create a delicious an easy lowvcarb keto taco pie that reminded me of the version we had growing up. Making a crustless taco pie is JUST as delicious and you won’t even miss the crust.
The options are unlimited when it comes to tacos!
What is the difference between taco pie and taco casserole? A taco pie reminds me of like a taco quiche, where the season taco meat gets mixed with a cream and egg mixture like a quiche. The creamy mixture rises to the top and forms a delicious crust that you could not even tell it’s made from eggs.
Our taco casserole does not have eggs in it and instead is a hearty and cheesy casserole with not just Mexican cheese but cottage cheese also. Both are so yummy!
Crustless Taco Pie Ingredients
1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey)
3 T taco seasoning (no sugar version or homemade option below)
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
4 large eggs
1/3 cup chunky salsa
1 cup+ Mexican blend shredded cheese
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Optional toppings- sour cream, avocado, salsa, cilantro, chives, diced tomato, or olives.
Supplies You Need
The only supplies you’ll need to make this easy keto taco pie is a 9″ pie pan! You could even pick one up at most grocery stores if you don’t have one. For some reason mine always seem to disappear?…
Easy Sugar Free Taco Seasoning
Here’s the quick and simple recipe for no sugar and no artificial ingredients taco seasoning we often use instead of packaged varieties.
2 tbsp chili powder
3 tsp tsp ground cumin
2 tsp salt
This WILL give you a little more than you need for this keto ground beef recipe, but it’ll keep in an air tight jar for months for later use. So easy to double and triple the recipe!
How to Make Low Carb Keto Taco Pie
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, grease a 9” pie pan and set aside.
Brown the ground beef in medium heat in a non stick skillet until all the way cooked through. Break up the ground beef pieces while you’re cooking it. It will take about 7-8 minutes in total to cook.
Drain the grease. Add the taco seasoning to the same pan the ground beef is in and mix until combined.
You do NOT need to add extra water to the ground beef taco mixture like you if you where making tacos, you’ll be adding additional liquid to meat in a later step.
Spoon the seasoned ground beef mixture into the greased pie pan.
In a small bowl combine the heavy cream and eggs together, then add the salsa, 1 cup of shredded cheese, garlic salt and pepper.
Carefully pour the cheese and cream mixture over the top of the ground beef in the pie pan. Sprinkle with a little more shredded cheese, we used about an extra 1/4 cup+.
Making sure your oven rack is in the middle position, you want to bake the low-carb taco pie for 35 to 40 minutes, or until it’s baked through and the egg/cream mixture has set.
Be sure to check your pie after 35 minutes and then put it back in in five minute increments if needed.
Let your low carb keto taco pie cool on a baking rack for five minutes before serving.
Delicious yet optional taco ingredients to serve on the side include more cheese, sour cream, avocado, salsa, guacamole, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, or olives.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
- 1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 3 T taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup+ Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tso ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350, grease a 9" pie pan and set aside.
- Brown the ground beef in a non-stick skillet until cooked through. Drain any extra grease.
- Add the powdered taco seasoning to the ground beef in the same pan and stir to combine.
- Spoon the taco beef into the greased pie pan.
- In a small bowl combine the heavy cream and eggs together, and then add the salsa, 1 cup of shredded cheese, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Pour the cream mixture over the top of the taco beef in the pie pan. Top with an additional sprinkle of shredded cheese, we used about 1/4 cup+.
- With your oven rack in the middle position, bake the keto taco pie uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the center is set and the top is golden brown.
- Let your crustless taco pie cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Add optional garnishes, if desired, like sour cream, salsa, cilantro, chives, avocado pieces, diced tomatoes or olives.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 servings Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 286 Total Fat 21g Saturated Fat 10g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 169mg Sodium 522mg Carbohydrates 4g Fiber 1g Sugar 1g Protein 20g