Crustless keto taco pie is a fantastic way to enjoy a variation from regular tacos, without the addition of gluten or processed carbs. You’ll love this low-carb taco pie recipe with ground beef that’s chock full of cheese and a savory sauce, topped with your favorite taco additions. Who knew keto could be a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!? 😉
Low Carb Taco Pie
One recipe I have fond childhood memories of was my mom making a Bisquick taco pie. It always amazed me to be able to turn “pancake mix” into dinner recipes.
While our family no longer eats foods like Bisquick, and we have been working for years to cut out processed ingredients and high carb foods, we still wanted to create a delicious and easy low carb keto taco pie that reminded me of the version we had growing up.
And this keto taco pie is it! It’s JUST as delicious as the same one I remember, yet without the crust, carbs, and chemicals that we are trying to avoid.
Even without the crust, our keto taco pie is the perfect weeknight dinner! Top with your favorite taco additions, such as salsa, avocado, and lettuce, or serve with a side salad and enjoy a dinner that is fun, festive, and flavorful.
Why You’ll Love This!
- Our low carb taco pie is filled with all of the taco-seasoned beef your traditional tacos are without all the carbs your healthy lifestyle doesn’t want.
- Speaking of healthy lifestyles, our crustless keto taco pie recipe works is perfect for low-carb, keto, and gluten-free lifestyles!
- Made with freshly shredded cheddar cheese and heavy whipping cream, our taco pie keto recipe is rich and creamy.
- Start with our basic recipe and add all of your family’s favorites by serving avocado, salsa, tomatoes, cilantro, and additional cheese so everyone can create their own unique taco pie.
Tacos are generally a family favorite wherever you go! If you are looking to change up how you serve this traditional Mexican dish be sure to check out our low-carb taco soup, Keto taco casserole, and low-carb taco salad (with beef or chicken).
You are about to create an amazing taco pie keto recipe with taco beef, cheese, heavy whipping cream, and a few additional ingredients that will impress your family so much they won’t miss the taco shells one bit!
- ground beef
- taco seasoning (keto taco seasoning recipe)
- heavy whipping cream
- chunky salsa
- shredded cheddar cheese – freshly shredded
- garlic salt
- black pepper
- optional – sour cream, avocado, salsa, cilantro, chives, diced tomato, or olives
- Beef – You can use ground chicken or turkey in place of ground beef.
- To maintain compliance with gluten-free, low-carb, and keto lifestyles, always read the labels on packaged products, including salsa and taco seasoning. To ensure that your taco seasoning works, we do recommend you make your own homemade version (it’s super simple!).
- As for the cheddar cheese, always remember that shredding it yourself from a block will help you steer clear of miscellaneous carbs that are frequently added to the preshredded varieties.
Step By Step Instructions
Your keto taco pie is going to come together in a super simple way. Brown meat, season, combine with other ingredients, and let the oven finish off your taco pie keto recipe.
Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and make sure your rack is in the center.
Grease a 9” pie pan and set aside.
Brown the ground beef on medium heat in a non-stick skillet until the beef is all the way cooked through. Break up the ground beef pieces while you’re cooking it. It will take about 7-8 minutes in total to cook.
Drain the grease.
Add the taco seasoning to the same pan the ground beef is in and mix until combined. (You do NOT need to add extra water to the ground beef taco mixture like you if you were making tacos, you’ll be adding additional liquid to meat in a later step.)
Spoon the seasoned ground beef mixture into the greased pie pan.
In a small bowl, combine the heavy cream and eggs together, then add the salsa, 1 cup of shredded cheese, garlic salt, and pepper.
Carefully pour the cheese and cream mixture over the top of the ground beef in the pie pan.
Sprinkle with a little more shredded cheese. We used about an extra 1/4 cup+.
Bake the low-carb taco pie for 35 to 40 minutes, or until it’s baked through and the egg/cream mixture has set.
Be sure to check your pie after 35 minutes and then put it back in five-minute increments if needed.
Let your low carb keto taco pie cool on a baking rack for five minutes before serving.
Delicious yet optional taco ingredients to serve on the side include more cheese, sour cream, avocado, salsa, guacamole, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, or olives.
- For the best flavor, we recommend a higher fat content ground beef. Either an 85/15 or 80/20 ratio works well.
- While it may be tempting to substitute almond milk or regular milk for heavy cream, it is not recommended.
- To keep the carb count as low as possible in your keto taco pie, make homemade taco seasoning and read the label on your salsa.
- Begin checking your crustless taco pie for doneness after 35 minutes.
We don’t recommend that you use a lighter dairy in place of the heavy cream, or a non-dairy milk, in our crustless taco pie. The heavy whipping cream is thicker and will give your pie a better consistency. Milk or almond milk may cause your keto taco pie to be runny.
You can store your leftovers in the fridge in a covered container for 4 days.
We do not recommend freezing taco pie as many dairy products, like the heavy whipping cream, can change texture and become grainy after defrosting. For best results, make and serve your low-carb taco pie fresh.
A taco pie is similar to a quiche, where the season taco meat gets mixed with a cream and egg mixture like a quiche. The creamy mixture rises to the top and forms a delicious crust that you could not even tell it’s made from eggs.
Our taco casserole does not have eggs in it and instead is a hearty and cheesy casserole with not just Mexican cheese but cottage cheese also. Both are so yummy!
More Keto Recipes
Looking for more keto recipes?
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 T taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup chunky salsa
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat an oven to 350F, making sure the oven rack is in the center position. Grease a 9" pie pan. Set the pan aside.
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet, adding oil if needed to keep it from sticking, until it's cooked through. Drain any extra grease.
- Add the powdered taco seasoning to the ground beef in the same pan and stir it to combine.
- Spoon the taco beef into the greased pie pan.
- In a small bowl combine the heavy cream and eggs together, and then add the salsa, 1 cup of shredded cheese, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Pour the cream mixture over the top of the taco beef in the pie pan. Top with an additional 1/4 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake the keto taco pie uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the center is set and the top is golden brown.
- Let your crustless taco pie cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Add optional garnishes, if desired, like sour cream, salsa, cilantro, chives, avocado, diced tomatoes, or olives. Enjoy!
We recommend a higher fat content ground beef for the best flavor, either an 85/15 or 80/20 ratio works well. Be sure to drain the ground beef grease after cooking it.
To lighten up the recipe you can cut back on the cheddar cheese or use ground turkey or ground chicken instead of beef.
Grating the cheddar cheese from a block is better than using the pre-shredded cheddar which is higher in carbs and adds potato starch to keep it from sticking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Fody Foods Vegan Taco Seasoning | Flavorful Blend | Low FODMAP Certified | Gut Friendly No Onion No Garlic | IBS Friendly Kitchen Staple | Gluten Free Lactose Free Non GMO | 4.02 Ounce
KOOV Ceramic Pie Pan, 9 Inches Pie Plate, Pie Dish for Dessert Kitchen, Round Baking Dish for Dinner, Reactive Glaze (Nebula Blue)
Nutrition InformationYield 8 servings Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 329Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 180mgSodium 591mgCarbohydrates 4gNet Carbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 23g