This ground beef zucchini casserole is about to show you that you can enjoy a skillet beef meal without the box mix and without the pasta! We are starting with some ground beef, adding in some zucchini and cheese, and cooking it all up on the stovetop to create a cheesy beef and zucchini casserole for dinner in just one dish that is packed with flavor and sure to please.
This post may include affiliate links, including links to Amazon products. Read the full disclosure here.
Ground Beef Zucchini Recipe
We are bringing you this brand new dish straight from the Whole Lotta Yum test kitchens, and let's just say, it was a hit in our home! Sauteed ground beef, combined with fresh zucchini, garlic, and onion, and topped with cheese, there wasn't anything about this dish to not like.
And with summer here and zucchini crops popping up, this is a great seasonal dish to create with those vegetables you have been growing and tending to for the past several months.
Not only is the ground beef zucchini casserole a great way to make sure you get your veggies in at dinner time, this zucchini casserole with ground beef is also perfect for those who follow a specific eating plan. Ground beef zucchini casserole is both gluten-free and sugar-free, and it's also low carb and keto!
Why You'll Love This Beef Skillet Recipe
- The entire ground beef zucchini casserole can be made using just one skillet!
- With sour cream, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese, this zucchini casserole is both cheesy and creamy.
- In just 4 simple steps and less than 30-minutes, you will have a crowd-pleasing dinner on the table that is fresh, homemade, and free of chemicals and artificial ingredients.
If you love the simplicity and ease of casserole recipes for dinner, be sure to check out our hamburger green bean casserole, this quick and easy taco casserole, or this tastes just like the real thing Big Mac casserole.
We are packing this ground beef zucchini casserole with so many flavors that it's hard to believe this dish needs just one pan and less than 30-minutes - but it's true! So grab your favorite skillet, the ingredients below, and a good chopping knife and let's get to creating a simple dinner that is a WHOLE LOTTA YUM. 😉
- Ground beef - we used 80/20 beef, having fat in the meat adds tons of flavor.
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Onion, diced
- Beef or chicken broth
- Sour cream - full-fat if you're following low carb or keto
- Cream cheese - full-fat if you're following low carb or keto
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Worcestershire sauce - or coconut aminos for gluten free
- Shredded cheddar cheese- shred your own to keep the carbs down, prepackaged cheese adds starch
Making Zucchini Hamburger Casserole
Would you look at how easy this dish is to create?! You are just 4 simple steps away from creating a delicious beef and vegetable casserole that your whole family will love!
Brown the Ground Beef
In a cast-iron skillet, cook the ground beef on medium heat until browned, about 5 minutes.
Remove ground beef and drain grease, leaving 1 tablespoon of the grease in the pan to saute the vegetables in.
Saute the Veggies
In the same skillet, cook the chopped onions over medium heat until they start to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 1 more minute.
Add the zucchini and broth to the pan and cook until the zucchini is soft, about 5 more minutes.
Turn the heat down to medium-low add the cream cheese and then sour cream.
Add the beef back into the pan along with the salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir gently to combine.
Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese over the top.
Place the entire dish in the oven and broil for 2 minutes until the cheese is browned and melted. Or, add lid to skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes until the cheese melts. Using the stovetop, your cheddar cheese won't be crispy, but it will melt.
- You can easily substitute ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef.
- If you don't think cheddar is better, feel free to use your favorite shredded cheese.
- If you don't have a cast-iron skillet or other oven-safe pan, be sure to transfer the casserole to an oven-safe dish before broiling.
- This recipe does call for a lot of zucchini, however, if you are concerned about the carbs in the dish you can cut it back to just 2 cups.
- Spice your beef and zucchini casserole by adding in some red pepper.
How to Store Ground Beef Zucchini Casserole?
You can store your ground beef zucchini casserole in the fridge for up to 4 days in a covered container.
Is this a Keto Ground Beef Casserole?
Yes! Just be sure to buy whole fat sour cream and cream cheese to keep carbs low. You can back the amount of sour cream and cream cheese if you need to to accommodate macros for the day. Shredding your own cheese from a block will keep the cheddar cheese at 0 carbs (packaged cheese adds starch (and hidden carbs) to prevent it from sticking).
Worchestershire sauce has a tiny amount of sugar and 1 carb per serving. You can swap the Worchestershire sauce with coconut aminos if you're strict keto or are following a gluten-free lifestyle.
When prepared as directed, each serving will yield you 7 net carbs per serving. The entire dish contains 6 servings.
What to Serve with Ground Beef Zucchini Casserole?
Ground beef zucchini casserole is a one-dish meal, but if you prefer to add a little something extra to the plate try these options:
- Side salad
- Broccoli salad
- Baked radishes
- Pan fried asparagus
- Rolls (if you aren't low carb or gluten free)
More Keto Casseroles
More Zucchini Recipes
- Thai zucchini curry
- Shrimp zucchini noodles with pesto
- Keto carbonara with zucchini noodles
- Keto chicken "noodle" soup
- Zucchini chips
Please leave a review if you make our recipe! We love feedback from readers, plus it helps others too.
And pin the recipe for later on Pinterest so you can easily get back to it!
V V V