Slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken is the easiest way to create super flavorful Mexican-style chicken for tacos, enchiladas, wraps, and more. An easy 3-ingredient dump recipe, slow cooker Mexican chicken gives you flavorful meat that is perfectly cooked ready to shred to be used in any WHOLE LOTTA YUM dinner you are looking to make.
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
We have used this slow cooker Mexican chicken recipe for a long time in our home. It's a perfect dish to create on our meal-prep days so ensure we have plenty of easy and healthy options in our fridge and ready to go all week long.
With just a few minutes of prep work, you can set my crockpot and walk away while it does its thing. Hours later, you're rewarded with perfectly cooked and seasoned Mexican flavored chicken that is ready to shred and use in a variety of ways throughout the week.
I could seriously just eat this Mexican shredded chicken right from the crockpot - it's that good! But since most people, including you I'm sure, would prefer to make a meal, here are a few ideas! Feel free to experiment and try this chicken in a variety of ways.
Shredded Chicken for Enchiladas and More!
- Shredded chicken tacos: Corn shells, cheese, vegetables, salsa and/or guac.
- Shredded chicken soft tacos: Tortilla shells, cheese, vegetables, salsa and/or guac.
- Shredded chicken wraps: Lettuce wraps, cheese, vegetables, salsa and/or guac.
- Shredded chicken enchiladas: Tortilla shells, cheese, enchilada sauce. Top with salsa, guac, or sour cream.
- Shredded chicken salad: In a bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, olives, and bell peppers. Top with shredded chicken and cheese. Add salsa, guac, or sour cream.
- Mexican taco bowls: Shredded chicken, olives, beans, and Mexican corn salad. Top with cheese, salsa, guac, or sour cream.
Why You'll Love This!
- Just 3-ingredients and you will have the most flavorful Mexican shredded chicken perfect to use in tacos, wraps, and salads.
- Our shredded Mexican chicken is a dump and go recipe making this a seriously easy recipe even for busy families.
- By cooking the chicken in both taco seasoning and salsa, your chicken takes on that great Mexican flavor you love.
- Our crockpot Mexican shredded chicken is perfect for those following low-carb, kepo, plaeo, Whole30, gluten-free, and dairy-free lifestyles - plus, anyone who simply enjoys Mexican-style chicken and dishes.
- Running late getting dinner started? You can easily adapt the slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken recipe to work with your pressure cooker using our instant pot Mexican shredded chicken recipe.
- A perfect recipe for meal-prepping on the weekends!
Do you love using your slow cooker to make flavor-infused dinners that are super simple to make yet taste extraordinary? If that sounds like you, be sure to check out our other slow cooker recipes including taco soup recipe, Mississippi pot roast, or Hawaiian Kalua pork.
This recipe creates enough Mexican chicken to feed 4-6, depending on the appetites of your eaters. However, you can easily double this to create enough chicken for multiple meals or to freeze.
- chicken breast - boneless and skinless
- red salsa - mild or medium
- taco seasoning (check out this easy low-carb homemade taco seasoning)
- Salsa - Green salsa can be used in place of the red salsa
Be sure to check the label of the salsa and taco seasoning you purchase to be sure they are compliant with your preferred eating plan. Likewise, monitor the items that you serve your shredded chicken with to stay within the requirements of your food lifestyle.
How to Make Crock Pot Shredded Chicken
Add ingredients to your crockpot, set your temperature, and go about your day - making your slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken really is that simple!
Place the whole chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker.
Sprinkle your choice of taco seasoning on the top of the chicken.
Spread the salsa evenly over the chicken.
Put the lid on the pot and cook until the meat is easy to shred.
Standard cook times for Mexican shredded chicken are 3-4 hours on high or 7-9 hours on low.
Allow your chicken to cool slightly before shredding.
You can use two forks, meat shredding claws, or an electric mixer. You can even shred it right in your crock-pot!
Crockpot Shredded Chicken Recipe Tips
- If you have a hand mixer, you can shred your chicken right in the crockpot after it has finished cooking. You can also shred your chicken in 30-seconds with a stand mixer.
- There is no extra liquid needed for cooking - the salsa provides enough liquid to keep your chicken moist.
- Be sure you don't open your crockpot during cooking.
- Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
- If you prefer a creamier slow cooker Mexican chicken feel free to add in some cream cheese, queso, or shredded cheese after shredding and allow the pot to cook for another 10 minutes on low.
You can store your cooked and shredded Mexican chicken in the fridge in a covered container for up to 4-days.
Yes, you can store cooked shredded chicken for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Yes, you can easily double or even triple this recipe if you are cooking for a crowd.
More Mexican Recipes
Looking for more Mexican recipes?
- Instant pot Mexican shredded chicken
- Sugar-free taco seasoning
- Baked salsa chicken
- Fish taco bowls
- Cream cheese stuffed Jalapeno Poppers