An easy low carb taco soup makes the perfect year-round soup when you want Mexican food and are craving something other than tacos. Whether you decide to make this as a keto crock pot taco soup recipe, in an Instant Pot, this will quickly become a family favorite. It's a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Taco Soup (Keto)
Your entire family will love this delicious and creamy keto taco soup recipe in a crockpot that is made extra hearty with cream cheese and cheddar cheese.
If you've been wanting to find a recipe for taco soup, your search is over because this simple yet hearty low carb taco soup with cream cheese is the best!
I'm going to fully admit, I loved this keto taco soup so much I overate and had 3 bowls of it since my family wasn't home and no one was watching. Combing your favorite taco flavors into a comforting bowl of soup makes an easy meal year-round, and you'll love having alternatives to standard tacos (which are amazing for a reason, but it's so nice to have variety!)
Why You'll Love This Recipe!
- With just 10 minutes of prep, this is an easy low carb soup to assemble when you're short on time
- It has just 5.4 net carbs per serving
- Other than browning the hamburger meat, it's as simple as dumping basic ingredients into the pot.
- It's a family pleasing recipe that no one would ever guess is a creamy low carb taco soup recipe.
- Low carb keto and gluten-free too!
On Keto? Grab our FREE keto foods list here OR Snag our Keto Binder HERE
Be sure to check the can and package labels to ensure you're purchasing low carb products, some sneak-in sugars and starches.
- ground beef - we used 80/20 ground beef with a higher fat content since it adds lots of flavor to the soup. You can use ground beef with a lower fat content but please don't use the super low fat kind, it really takes the flavor out of the meat. Ground turkey or ground chicken would work well too.
- cream cheese, cut into cubes - to keep the carbs down, use full-fat cream cheese
- cheddar cheese - shred the cheddar from a block of cheese since the pre-shredded variety includes starch, which increases cabs
- Rotel diced tomatoes or diced fire-roasted tomatoes with green chili’s - mild or spicy
- beef broth - chicken broth can be used in place of beef
- taco seasoning (no sugar homemade ) - use a homemade or store bought variety, but be sure to read the labels since many taco seasoning brands add sugar to the mix. Some brands are also extremely spicy, use the amount noted in the recipe if it's a mild seasoning, if it's spicy, we suggest cutting it back to 2 Tbsp. Our favorite store-bought brand is McCormick's, it doesn't add sugar.
- chopped onion- a yellow onion was used in the recipe, sweet, white, or red can be used too.
- garlic powder
- ground pepper
How to Make Keto Taco Soup
Brown the Hamburger Meat
Brown the beef on the stove and drain the grease. Add the drained ground beef to a crockpot.
Add Ingredients to the Pot
Cream Cheese Tip - One tip about the cream cheese, I highly recommend making sure your cream cheese is at room temperature before adding to the crockpot. Sometimes when you mix cold dairy ingredients with warm ingredients, it can prevent the dairy from completely integrating with the other ingredients or may even cause it to curdle. You can also cut your room-temperature cream cheese into small chunks before adding it to the pot.
Add the remaining ingredients, which include softened cream cheese cubes, cheddar cheese, Rotel diced tomatoes, beef broth (or chicken broth), taco seasoning, chopped onion, garlic powder. and pepper.
Combine all of the ingredients together, the cream cheese will still be in cubes but it'll break down as the keto taco soup recipe cooks.
Cook on low for 4+ hours or high for 2 hours. The slow cooker taco soup is technically done after 4 hours on low but can cook 6+ hours if needed.
Give the soup one more stir before serving to make sure that the cream cheese is fully mixed in.
Add your favorite taco toppings such a cilantro, sour cream, and avocado to the crock pot taco soup, and enjoy!
Instant Pot Instructions
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute High and brown the ground beef. Drain the grease. Add 1 tablespoon of oil (or 1 tablespoon of reserved beef grease) and saute the diced onion until it's softened, for about 3-4 minutes. Turn the pot off by pressing the Cancel button.
- Add the beef broth to the pot and stir the bottom of the pot to remove any onion bits that might be stuck to the bottom.
- Add the cooked ground beef, Rotel, taco seasoning, salt, pepper, to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Put the lid on the pot and cook the soup on Manual High for 5 minutes, some pots call this setting Pressure Cook. The pot will take about 15-20 minutes to come to pressure. Once the soup is done cooking under pressure, do a Natural Release for 10 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure from the pot. Turn the pot off.
- Add the cubed cream cheese and stir until it breaks down and is well combined into the soup. Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted.
- Add your favorite garnishes on top and serve!
Keto Taco Soup on Stove
Making this simple low carb taco soup recipe as a stovetop version is a piece of cake.
- Cook the ground beef in a dutch oven or stockpot for 7-8 minutes, or until all the way cooked through. Drain the grease.
- In the same pan as the ground beef, add the remaining ingredients, and then stir to combine.
- Heat the keto taco soup on medium heat until it starts to just bubble, turn the heat down to low and simmer with the lid on for 1 hour, so flavors can blend.
How Many Carbs in Keto Taco Soup?
Each low carb slow cooker taco soup serving has 5.4 net carbs. If you're really trying to get the carbs down, be sure to use cheddar cheese, some cheddar brands have 0 net carbs! You can also use less cream cheese. Both the cheddar and cream cheese brands we used are by Trader Joe's and have 0 carbs. And sure you're also using a homemade taco seasoning or store bought seasoning mix without sugar.
What Toppings Work Best?
The options are unlimited with what to serve as a garnish for this easy low carb keto crockpot taco soup! Any of the classic taco toppings work well. Here's a handful of our favorites:
- more shredded cheese (can you ever get enough cheese?)
- sour cream
- diced tomato
When you look at the recipe nutritional content, it's for the low carb soup only and doesn't include the optional toppings, so make sure to calculate that separately if you're keeping track of macros.
How to Reheat
Having leftover low carb soup is one of the best parts of making this taco soup recipe. Many times soups with cream or cheese will thicken as the soup cools and doesn't have the same consistency as the soup fresh out of the crockpot.
Not to worry! Just add extra beef broth, chicken broth, or even water to the pot before reheating the crock pot taco soup to make it the consistency you're wanting. This keto taco soup reheats quickly in a slow cooker on high for 30-40 minutes or you can heat the soup on medium on the stovetop, and once it starts to break bubbles on the top, turn it down to simmer. For either re-heating method, be sure to stir the soup periodically and keep an eye on it since soups with dairy in them burn easier than non-dairy-based soups.
Can You Freeze Keto Taco Soup?
Since this is a cream cheese based keto taco soup, we don't recommend freezing it. Frozen dairy often takes on a grainy consistency after freezing. If you're making this recipe to batch cook, we suggest cooking the entire recipe without the cheese and cream cheese, and freeze it for up to 3 months. When you go to heat it up after defrosting, then add the cheese and cream cheese to the soup.
Not Low Carb?
If you found our recipe but aren't necessarily trying to cut down your carbs, instead of using 2 pounds of ground beef, feel free to substitute 1 of the pounds of meat for a can of drained kidney beans or can of drained corn. One wonderful thing about making a crock pot taco soup recipe is how simple it is to make substitutions for what you have on hand. Don't have Mexican blend cheese? Feel free to use shredded cheddar. Don't want meat? Swap all of the meat for beans and corn instead, or add hearty vegetables like zucchini or diced peppers. Don't want to run to the store to buy Rotel, but maybe you have diced tomatoes and canned green peppers in your pantry, use that instead.
Keto Mexican Recipes
Come connect with us on Instagram! Be sure to tag us (wholelotta.yum) when you make a recipe. You can also find us on Facebook, and Pinterest.
Yummy! I added 2C. Sweet corn and a can of black beans. Topped it with cheddar cheese, plain greek yogurt and chili cheese Fritos. Definitely will make again!
I’m interested in making this, but I need to do dairy free. I’m thinking about a low carb nut cream cheese instead…or maybe no cream cheese at all. Have you tried either?
Hi Sasha, this is totally fine to make without the cream cheese and you can sprinkle dairy free cheese on top. I actually can't have dairy either so I just skip the cream cheese and make a lighter soup sometimes. I've never tried the plant based cream cheese but you could mix in a little bit for your own bowl to see how it turns out?
Hi! The instapot recipe talks about diced onion, but I can't find that in the ingredient list nor the crock-pot part. Can you help? Thanks!
Made this last night for a get together with friends. It was soo good. Everyone was blown away. I used lower sodium ingredients, and for the toppings jalapeños, onions, avocado, cilantro, cheese, lime, sour cream, and tortilla chips. Not keto with the chips, but oh well! Will definitely be making this again😍
do you know how long to cook this in an instant pot instead?
This is wonderful!!!! Made it tonight!!!! Just wondering how much is one serving in cups or ounces? Thank you for this recipe, putting in my keto rotation?
My husband and I just made this- it turned out a serving, for us, was about a cup and a half! It's really good!
Thank you so much for sharing feedback Kelsea! I'm really glad you and your hubby enjoyed the taco soup! Jen
I wanted to know how much a serving was. Its 8 servings but how much in the serving?
Did you figure out how much a serving is?
Ashley Judd says
I have been scouring the internet for good recipes. This was absolutely amazing! My husband said “wow, this is really good” probably 5 different times!
Thank you so much Ashley! I'm so glad you and your husband loved the low carb taco soup!