With our keto chicken noodle soup, you can still enjoy all of the comforts of a classic bowl of chicken noodle soup without interfering with a healthy lifestyle. Made with precooked chicken and low-carb vegetables, our low-carb chicken noodle soup is the best way to create a WHOLE LOTTA YUM dinner in just 30-minutes!
Low Carb Chicken Noodle Soup
My favorite classic chicken noodle soup is a simple recipe by Ina Garten, but when trying to stick to a low-carb diet that recipe won't work.
Yet with a few quick and easy swaps, our homemade keto friendly chicken noodle soup with zucchini is the perfect alternative!
The secret to this fantastic low-carb chicken soup (or any chicken noodle soup for that matter) is to ROAST the chicken before adding it into the broth and vegetables. So many recipes just have you simmer raw chicken until it's cooked through....boring! That leaves you with flavorless chicken and then you need to add a ton of extra ingredients to give it flavor.
But starting with either a rotisserie chicken or roasting your own makes a WORLD of difference in the flavor of your keto chicken noodle soup with zoodles.
Why You'll Love This!
- Create a delicious pot of homemade low-carb chicken soup in just 30-minutes!
- Fresh zucchini noodles, carrots, and celery help to create a spoon-worthy keto chicken noodle soup.
- Make with either pre-cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken, your keto chicken soup with zoodles will taste like it simmer for hours!
- Our homemade chicken zoodle soup is perfect for anyone who loves chicken and vegetable soup and those following low-carb, keto, gluten-free, and paleo lifestyles.
If you love keto soups from scratch as much as we do, be sure to try our chicken taco soup, broccoli cheese soup, and our chicken bacon ranch soup.
Make sure you always have precooked chicken available for all of your quick dinner recipes by using our Instant Pot chicken tenders, boiled chicken breast, or baked chicken tenders recipes.
On Keto? Grab our FREE keto foods list here OR Snag our Keto Binder HERE
You might be surprised to learn there are only 6 ingredients in the best keto chicken soup recipe you'll ever have (if I do say so myself). Starting with a store-bought rotisserie chicken makes this a 30 minutes or less meal where you just have to prep your ingredients while the broth heats up, and cook just until the vegetables are cooked through, and serve!
- chicken - cooked and shredded (Roasting directions are below, or you can use pan-friend chicken tenders)
- chicken broth
- celery - 4-5 stalks chopped
- carrots - diced in large pieces
- zucchini noodles - spiralize your own or buy them pre-cut
- salt and pepper to taste
- Zoodles - you can use cauliflower noodles, cauliflower rice, or cabbage in place of zucchini noodles.
- Chicken - while chicken noodle is a classic, you can also try ground chicken or turkey.
- For a seafood option - try shrimp with a seafood stock in place of chicken and chicken stock.
Step by Step Instructions
***Note: Your keto chicken noodle soup starts with pre-cooked chicken. If you don't have any available, see the recipe steps below for how to roast the perfect chicken.
If you bought a pre-cooked chicken for the keto chicken soup, you'll want to cut up the breast and thigh pieces. For the soup, you will need 1-1.5 lb of chicken meat.
Heat the Chicken Broth
Heat chicken broth in a stockpot over medium heat.
Turn down to medium-low once the chicken broth is heated.
Cut the Vegetables
I like to prep the vegetables while the broth is heating.
Cut up the celery, and peel and cut the carrots.
Cook the Soup
Add the carrots and celery to the heated chicken broth and simmer until the vegetables are cooked through, which will take about 10 minutes.
Add the warm, roasted chicken and the zoodles to the pot and simmer for 1 more minute to heat through. (If your chicken is cold, add it when you add the carrots and celery.)
Remove from heat.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve immediately. Garnish with chopped, fresh parsley if desired.
Roasting the Chicken
If you're making your own chicken, here's the simple recipe we use:
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Lay the chicken breasts (about 1 ½ lbs) on a greased baking pan
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon melted butter, ¼ teaspoon sea salt, and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Roast in the oven for about 30+ mins, or until the chicken's internal temperature reaches 165F. How long it takes to reach 165F depends on how big the chicken breasts are. Sometimes I'll cut them in half or quarters to speed up the baking time.
- Wait until it cools slightly and then cut it up into bite-sized pieces.
- To make the chicken noodle soup keto recipe in 30-minutes or less, start with pre-cooked chicken.
- We try to use a lot of organic canned and packaged items, but for soup, I almost always buy Swanson’s brand chicken broth! It has lots of flavor and just the right amount of needed salt for a hearty soup. (And no, they did not pay me to say this, it's just my favorite for soup!)
- Even with the heat off, the zoodles will continue to cook... and you don’t want mushy zoodles! As soon as your soup has finished cooking so you’ll want to take the keto chicken soup off of the stove right away and serve it immediately.
You can store any leftover low-carb chicken noodle soup covered in the fridge for up to four days. The zoodles could start getting soggly, but it won't impact the flavor.
While keto chicken zoodle soup is a complete meal, you can serve it with any of your favorite soup sides from salad to bread sticks to grilled cheese (depending on how many carbs you want your meal to have).
A traditional canned soup like Campbell's or Lipton's is not going to work for a low-carb or keto lifestyle because they are too high in carbs due to the pasta (not to mention all of the artificial ingredients). Our chicken noodle soup, made with zoodles instead of noodles, is a keto-friendly dish! You could also use keto-friendly pelmeni noodles.
One medium-sized carrot has 5 net carbs and since this recipe only has 2-3 carrots in it, the carrots are just adding 2-3 net carbs per serving to the soup. While you don't want to go and chop numerous carrots, using a couple in a keto chicken "noodle" soup will still work for most people.
More Keto Soup Recipes
Looking for more keto soup recipes?
Come connect with us on Instagram! Be sure to tag us (wholelotta.yum) when you make a recipe. You can also find us on Facebook, and Pinterest.
If you enjoyed this post, be sure to come and hang out with us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Be sure to pin the recipe for later on Pinterest so you can get back to it!
V V V
We'd Love to Hear From You!
❓❓❓ Got questions or feedback? Please ask questions or post feedback on the post comments.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Tap That Recipe Review Star! Be sure to leave a review after you make the recipe or just tap the star rating you'd give the recipe! Easy peasy!
? Show Us Those Photos! Be sure to upload your recipe photos on the Pinterest pin and tag us on Instagram at @wholelotta.yum! We LOVE featuring reader recipes!
Disappointed . . . can't use this recipe without knowing Nutritional Facts. No mention of how many carbs or net carbs this recipe contains.
You can also enter the ingredients into a nutritional calculator to see if it works for your health plan. The nutritional facts are just estimates and often inaccurate or can vary by brand purchased, manually calculating is best if you're on a strict keto plan.
Andrea Hellgren says
Nutrient values will make your recipes useable for me. Thanks.