If you're a fan of pizza (who isn't!) but want a healthier, low-carb option then our portobello mushroom pizza recipe is a must-try! It's flavorful with its melty cheese and yummy toppings, it's a pizza that's good for you and definitely a Whole Lotta Yum!
✅ Get our FREE healthy meal prep printables + meal plan! 🥑
Enjoy a meatless Monday with these fun portobello pizzas. Being on a Keto diet doesn't mean you cannot enjoy pizza night. Even though they're mini pizzas, they don't lack flavor or substance. Mushroom cap pizzas can be just as filling as other mini pizzas since mushrooms have a meatier and toothsome structure.
No need to argue over toppings either! Prepare yours just the way you like it, extra veggies, less sauce, more spice, you're the boss. Have some extra time? Make our keto pizza soup!
Mini veggie pizzas are great lunches for you or the kiddos. If you love pizza the way we love pizza, you'll want to have these on hand for lunch to keep from sneaking in a quick slice of a carb-heavy pizza. And honestly, after enjoying your portobello mushroom pizzas, you won't miss the crust.
Why You'll Love This!
- Great for meal prep- Double the recipe in preparation for your weekday lunches.
- Super yummy- Let's be honest, pizza in all forms is super yummy. Customize to your tastes to make it even better.
- Quick and easy! An easy recipe with traditional pizza toppings and flavors.
- Healthy - Just 141 calories and 6 carbs, plus gluten-free, keto-friendly, and can easily adapt to be dairy free.
🥘 Mushroom Cap Pizza Ingredients
The wonderful thing about this pizza recipe is that you can use your favorite pizza toppings, or follow the recipe with the tasty ones we have suggested.
- Portobello mushroom caps - Pick out mushrooms that appear fresh. Avoid mushrooms that have a moldy or slimy texture and appearance. When cleaning your mushroom caps, wipe them down with paper towels and avoid washing them off under water as they'll absorb a lot of it.
- Extra virgin olive oil - An olive oil spray is a great alternative. Additionally, avocado oil is a healthy alternative as well.
- Minced garlic cloves - Garlic is delicious, for less garlicky flavor you can omit the garlic. For more garlic flavor add extra minced garlic or garlic powder.
- Pizza sauce - Marinara sauce or tomato sauce will both work in place of pizza sauce. Check ingredients for added sugars if you're watching your sugar intake.
- Mozzarella cheese - Use fresh mozzarella or shredded mozzarella cheese, both will create a creamy stretchy cheese. Finish off your pizzas with a dusting of parmesan cheese.
- Cherry tomatoes - Grape tomatoes, diced Roma tomatoes, or even fire-roasted tomatoes would all taste delicious.
- Sliced black olives - For a different flavor try green or kalamata olives.
- Seasoning & Spices - Tasty combinations of Italian seasonings, salt, pepper, fresh basil leaves, and red pepper flakes.
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
- Without cheese: you can skip the cheese or change the variety.
- Swap Veggies: swap or add veggies like diced onions, spinach leaves, or even peppers.
- Add Meat: sometimes we add crispy bacon or pepperoni for added protein.
🔪 How to Cook Pizza Stuffed Portobello Mushroom
Pizza-stuffed portobello mushrooms are easier to prepare than you might think. No waiting for the dough to rise, for delivery, or for a frozen pizza to bake.
Preheat your oven to 450 F and lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
Clean the mushrooms by wiping them off with a damp paper towel, don't run them under water as they easily absorb liquid. Remove the stems.
Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet, and grill side up. In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, Italian seasoning, and minced garlic.
Brush the olive oil mix on the inside of each portobello mushroom. Add the pizza sauce on the inside of each mushroom cap.
Sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese, then top them with sliced cherry tomatoes, and sliced black olives.
Bake the mushroom pizzas for 10-12+ minutes in the oven until the mushrooms soften and the cheese melts.
Sprinkle with shredded fresh basil and red pepper flakes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
🥗 Dietary Substitutions
As written portobello mushroom pizzas are keto, vegetarian, and gluten-free.
- Dairy-free & Whole 30: Simply omit the cheese or use your favorite dairy-free shredded cheese.
💡 Recipe Tips
- If you're a meat lover, add your favorite meat toppings; turkey pepperoni, Italian sausage, or ham are just a couple of options.
- For a golden cheesy topping, turn the boiler on for 2-3 minutes. Keeping a close eye on the pizzas so they don't burn too quickly.
🥡 Storing and Reheating
- Storing: Store your leftover mushroom pizzas in an airtight container and in the refrigerator for up to 3 - 5 days. They'll store better if not stacked on top of each other.
- Freezing: Once cooled, you can freeze portobello pizza in an airtight freezer-safe container or bag. Before storing, place them on a baking sheet and freeze for 1-2 hours so they harden. Once hard, layer them between parchment paper in the container of your choice. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Reheating: Reheat by baking in the oven at 350 until heated through.
If the mushrooms you've purchased don't specify whether or not they've been cleaned, then rinsing them under water is ideal to remove any dirt or debris and then dry them. If the package says they've been cleaned, you can easily brush off any remaining dirt with a damp paper towel.
You can freeze fresh portobello mushrooms, however, like most foods with added moisture, their texture will change slightly after thawing. Freezing cooked mushrooms or even a baked mushroom pizza works well, just cool them completely before adding them to a freezer-safe bag or container.
Yes, you absolutely can. Some people will remove them for various reasons. It's possible for dirt or sand to collect inside if they haven't been cleaned properly. In this case, it's purely a preference on whether or not you remove the dark gills. If you want to, simply use a spoon to gently scrape them out.
😋 More Easy Dinner Recipes
If you're still looking for some healthy dishes that are as easy as they are yummy, try out some of our new recipes:
- Pulled Pork Lettuce Wraps
- Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Healthy Breakfast Casserole
- Barbacoa Beef (Crockpot)
💌 Get Meal Prep Help!
📌 Pin for Later
📌 Be sure to pin the recipe to Pinterest so you can easily find it again! ⬆️