Keto parmesan crusted chicken combines herbs and fresh parmesan cheese to create a mouth-watering chicken dish that won’t even have you missing the traditional breading or flour. This parmesan crusted chicken breast recipe is a quick and easy way to get a flavorful, low carb dinner on the table in under 30-minutes that is a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
This post may include affiliate links, including links to Amazon products. Read the full disclosure here.
Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken
This keto parmesan crusted chicken breast recipe was easy to think up and dream of but slightly more challenging to perfect. In our home, we are big fans of the cast iron skillet but it didn’t take long to learn that cast iron is not the best pan for this dish. After a few different attempts with various pans and different amounts of fresh parmesan cheese though, we were able to perfect both the recipe and the technique so we can share it with you.
As the name implies, keto parmesan crusted chicken is perfect for those who enjoy a keto lifestyle or simply like to follow a low-carb eating plan. And without breading, this also works well for gluten-free eaters.
Why You’ll Love This Healthy Parmesan Chicken
- No breading means you can enjoy baked parmesan crusted chicken even if you have dietary restrictions.
- Parmesan crusted chicken cooks up in under 30-minutes – start to finish- meaning you can have dinner on the table in no time!
- This recipe packs a powerhouse of flavor and all the crunch you expect from traditional breaded chicken without the carb count.
Looking for more ways to enjoy your parmesan crusted chicken? Be sure to check out our keto chicken parmesan and keto cordon bleu.
If you are using chicken breast, rather than cutlets, you are going to want to cut them in half lengthwise to create a cutlet. Cutlets are easier for pan-frying because they are thinner and more even than whole chicken breast. To top our chicken, we are using a seasoned egg wash and some freshly shredded parmesan cheese. All of this is going into a non-stick skillet to create great tasting keto parmesan crusted chicken.
- chicken breast cutlets
- large eggs
- olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- garlic salt
- black pepper
- shredded Parmesan cheese – Freshly shredded will yield you a better flavor, but pre-shredded will also work.
Non-stick skillet! This recipe will ONLY work in a non-stick skillet, trust us, we’ve tried with other types of pans! The parmesan cheese won’t stay on if your pan isn’t non-stick.
Whether you are using whole chicken breasts and cutting them yourself, or chicken breast cutlets, you are just a few minutes away from serving up this keto parmesan crusted chicken dish! Let’s walk through the steps one at a time to ensure your dish comes out perfectly!
If your chicken breasts aren’t already cut into chicken cutlets, take two large chicken breasts and cut them lengthwise to make 4 thin chicken breast pieces.
If the chicken pieces are more than 1/2″ thick, pound them with a kitchen mallet to make them thinner. If they’re too thick the chicken won’t be cooked in time before the parmesan could start burning.
Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the pan.
In one small flat dish or plate add the shredded parmesan.
In a second small flat rimmed dish add the beaten eggs, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
Using a fork or tongs, take the chicken cutlets one at a time and first dip them on both sides in the eggwash mix, making sure to gently shake off the extra egg. Next, dip the chicken breast into the parmesan making sure to coat both sides. The chicken won’t be completely covered but the cheese will melt and spread to cover the chicken.
Cooking just two of the chicken cutlets at a time, brown them for 3-4 minutes per side.
Do not try to flip them early because the cheese won’t be crisped enough and will fall off. It is OK to check carefully after 3 minutes of cooking by carefully lifting one corner slightly. You are looking for the parmesan cheese to be brown and crispy like in the images above.
Continue cooking the remaining chicken cutlets, you can keep the others warm in the oven until all are cooked and ready to serve.
- If your chicken cutlets are thicker than 1/2″, use a meat mallet or kitchen mallet to thin them out. This ensures your chicken will be fully cooked and reach the internal temperature of 165F during the cooking time.
- This is not a dish you want to rush by overcrowding your pan. Cook no more than 2 pieces per batch and keep cooked pieces warm by using the lowest temperature on your oven.
- It’s super important that you let your chicken cutlets cook in the pan for 3-4 minutes until the parmesan cheese is golden brown and crispy, otherwise, it won’t stick to your chicken.
How to Store
You can store any leftover keto parmesan crusted chicken in the fridge for 3-4 days in a covered dish. However, reheated leftovers won’t be crisp when you warm them up.
What Goes With Parmesan Crusted Chicken?
Parmesan crusted chicken is a great base for a simple or a fancy meal. Serve it up with these great sides or toppings!
- Italian baked zucchini and squash
- Baked cauliflower mac and cheese
- Pan fried asparagus
- Roasted beetroot salad
- Spinach salad with bacon
- Oven roasted herbed broccoli
- Keto alfredo sauce
More Keto Chicken Recipes
- Keto chicken cordon bleu
- Sour cream chicken enchilada skillet
- Keto chicken parmesan
- Green chili chicken bake
Please leave a review if you make our recipe! We love feedback from readers, plus it helps others too.
And pin the recipe for later on Pinterest so you can easily get back to it!
V V V
- 4 chicken breast cutlets
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
- Cut chicken breasts into cutlets lengthwise if you didn't buy cutlets. If the chicken pieces are more than 1/2", pound them with a kitchen mallet to make them thinner. If they're too thick the chicken won't be cooked in time before the parmesan could start burning.
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the pan.
- In one small flat dish or plate add the shredded parmesan. In a second small flat rimmed dish add the beaten eggs, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Using a fork or tongs, take the chicken cutlets one at a time and first dip them on both sides in the eggwash mix, making sure to gently shake off the extra egg. Next, dip the chicken breast into the parmesan making sure to coat both sides. The chicken won't be completely covered but the cheese will melt and spread to cover the chicken.
- Cooking just two of the chicken cutlets at a time, brown them for 3-4 minutes per side. Do not try to flip them early because the cheese won't be crisped enough and will fall off.
- Cook 3-4 mins per side to brown. Don’t flip early or the cheese will fall off. It’s got to crisp and not just melt. After 3 minutes it is ok to carefully peak and lift one corner slightly to make sure the parmesan is browned and crispy.
- Continue cooking the remaining chicken cutlets, you can keep the others warm in the oven until all are cooked and ready to serve.
We used 2 large chicken breasts weighing a total of 1.6 lb and cut them lengthwise into 4 chicken cutlets. You can also purchase chicken breast cutlets at many grocery stores.
Use a meat mallet to pound the cutlets to 1/2" thick to make sure they cook quickly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 396Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 205mgSodium 722mgCarbohydrates 1gNet Carbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 47g