Keto chicken cordon bleu is going to blow you away with its ease, simplicity, and flavor! We are going to start with some super tasty parmesan-crusted chicken and then top that with ham and swiss before baking. The final step in your low carb chicken cordon bleu is going to be to top the whole dish with a homemade creamy dijon sauce that will make all of the flavors pop.
Low Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu
Like many of the best chicken dishes out there, traditional chicken cordon bleu is riddled with carbs. And while this may work for many people, those who have dietary restrictions find this dish often off-limits.
But not anymore! With keto chicken cordon bleu you can enjoy all the flavors you know and love without any of the carbohydrates and other ingredients you don't. Plus, because we aren't stuffing chicken breasts, the low carb chicken cordon bleu is faster and easier.
This keto chicken cordon bleu is the perfect alternative for gluten-free eaters and fans of both a low-carb lifestyle or a ketogenic diet.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Parmesan crusted chicken forms the base of this recipe and gives you the crunch of a traditional breaded chicken cordon bleu without the carb-count.
- Italian seasoning and fresh parmesan combine to give you all the tastes of France right in your own kitchen.
- Your favorite ham and swiss top the parmesan-crusted chicken to give you that classic cordon bleu taste without the hassle of stuffing chicken breast.
- Topping your keto chicken cordon bleu with the optional creamy dijon sauce adds a lovely depth of flavor, complimenting the entire dish.
We first seared the chicken in a parmesan crust, baked it briefly to finish cooking, and then topped the keto cordon bleu with a creamy mustard sauce. We definitely recommend following all of the steps, but when you're in a hurry and craving cordon bleu keto style... you can easily skip the parmesan-crusted sear (but you'll still want to sear the chicken in oil) OR add the creamy dijon sauce, but I wouldn't skip both. 😉
- chicken breast or chicken cutlets
- large eggs
- Italian seasoning
- garlic salt
- black pepper
- shredded Parmesan - you'll need this for both the parm crust and for sprinkling over the top
- olive oil, divided
- ham, chopped - chopped ham lunchmeat works fine for this
- Swiss cheese slices
Creamy dijon sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoon butter
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Non-stick skillet! This recipe will ONLY work in a non-stick skillet, trust us, we've tried with other types of pans! The parmesan cheese won't stay on if your pan isn't non-stick.
- Baking pan
We are going our keto chicken cordon bleu by pan-searing the chicken cutlets with a parmesan crust then top with ham and swiss before we let it all combine in the oven. The final step is to add a creamy dijon sauce that while optional, is highly recommended!
Preheat the oven to 375F.
Cut two large chicken breasts lengthwise to make chicken cutlets. Many grocery stores sell these if you'd prefer to buy them.
Crack the large eggs in a small low bowl, stir until blended, and then add the garlic salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Combine ingredients well.
Add the shredded parmesan to another small low bowl.
Sear with Parmesan
In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Using tongs, dip each chicken cutlet, first into the egg wash and then into the parmesan. Do this for both sides, making sure to let the excess egg drip back into the dish before coating in parm.
Cook two chicken cutlets at a time for 3-4 mins per side or until brown. Don’t flip it early or the cheese could fall off. It’s got to be crisp and not just melt or the cheese won't become a crust.
Add 1 more tablespoon of olive oil to the pan before cooking the 2nd batch of cutlets.
Assemble Keto Cordon Bleu
Add the partially cooked chicken breast to a 9x13 baking pan.
Top with the chopped ham pieces and then top each chicken cutlet with a slice of Swiss cheese.
Sprinkle with another ½ cup of shredded parmesan cheese over the top of the dish.
Bake for 10 mins on 375F until the cheese is melted, starts to brown, and the chicken internal temperature is at 165F. You can broil for 1 minute if you want the cheese to get a little brown and crispy on top.
Makes 4 servings.
Serve with the optional, yet highly recommended mustard cream sauce below!
Add Optional Sauce
Interested in a keto-friendly chicken cordon bleu bake with a dijon sauce? You're in luck because this is lick-off-the-spoon worthy!
Over medium-low heat in a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the parmesan cheese and stir constantly until melted. This could take 2-3 minutes. Add the heavy whipping cream, Worchestershire sauce (or coconut aminos), and dijon mustard and combine all ingredients together.
Bring to a low simmer and cook one minute longer until the sauce is heated through. Thickens upon standing.
- Cook your parmesan-crusted chicken cutlets in batches to avoid over-crowding your skillet.
- If you are in a rush, you can skip the parmesan crust, but you will still need to pan-fry the chicken cutlets before baking to ensure the chicken reaches the proper internal temperature (165F).
- For the ham feel free to use whatever you prefer: leftover, sandwich slices, or even grab a ham steak and slice it up.
- Because we are using chicken cutlets, rather than full chicken breasts, you don't have to butterfly and stuff the chicken making this dish not only amazing as a low-carb option but also a fabulous quick-cook dinner!
How to Store?
You can store any leftover keto chicken cordon bleu in a covered dish in the fridge for 3-4 days, but the reheated pieces will not be crisp.
What to Serve with Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Keto chicken cordon bleu bake is a fabulous dish but it does need a little something to serve either with it or beside it. Check out these great options:
- Zucchini noodles
- A side salad
- Air fryer green beans and mushrooms
- Italian baked zucchini and squash
- Air fryer broccoli with garlic
- Pan fried asparagus
More Keto Chicken Recipes
- Caprese Chicken Bake
- Sour cream chicken enchilada skillet
- Keto chicken parmesan
- Green chili chicken bake
Please leave a review if you make our recipe! We love feedback from readers, plus it helps others too.
And pin the recipe for later on Pinterest so you can easily get back to it!
V V V