Sour cream chicken enchilada casserole is about to become your favorite way to get this creamy, one-pan skillet meal on your table! Bursting with flavor but low in carbs, this keto chicken enchilada casserole contains all of the Mexican flavors you love without the carbohydrates your eating lifestyle wants you to stay away from.
On the table in under 30-minutes from start to finish, sour cream chicken enchilada casserole is a whole lotta easy and a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
On Keto? Grab our FREE keto foods list here OR Snag our Keto Binder HERE!
Creamy Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Casserole (No Tortillas)
We love eating bold and bright flavors, so this sour cream chicken enchilada casserole was the perfect thing when we wanted all of the flavor and taste of a traditional enchilada without the extra carbs of flour tortillas. By combining pre-cooked chicken, cream cheese and sour cream, and our homemade taco seasoning, this whole dish went from idea to table in under 30-minutes.
Plus, we were able to create a dish that is super tasty and perfect for busy weeknights that is gluten-free, low-carb, and keto-approved yet still has all of the classic flavor enchiladas are known (and loved) for.
Why You'll Love This Recipe!
- Sour cream chicken enchilada casserole comes together in just one-pan making is super easy to cook, and even easier to clean up from.
- Using pre-cooked chicken, this recipe is as simple as dump and heat much like your favorite dump and go crockpot recipes.
- With no tortilla, this sour cream enchilada casserole still has all the flavor of a traditional enchilada and is perfect for low-carb eaters who still want that unique Mexican flavor.
Easy skillet dinners are just a click away my friends! Be sure you check out our ground beef zucchini casserole or our Caprese chicken bake! Perfect for busy nights, or those warm summer evenings when dinner needs to be quick and not heat up the whole house.
And if low-carb Mexican food is just what you need, don't forget our baked keto enchiladas, green chili bake, and Mexican shredded chicken! All the authentic Mexican flavor you love without any of the carbohydrates.
Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Bake Ingredients
Your sour cream chicken enchilada casserole is going to come together so quickly and with flavors so bold you will be surprised that this is possible from a few ingredients and a single pan! So grab your skillet, some precooked chicken, your favorite enchilada sauce and taco seasoning, all that delicious cheese, and let's get making this keto chicken enchilada casserole!
- 1.5 shredded chicken - 2 large breasts and boiled until soft, shredded equals 4 cups
- ¾ cup enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 4 0z can green chilis
- 1-2 tablespoon taco seasoning -(click here for a low-carb homemade recipe)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- 1.5 cups+ shredded cheddar cheese
- optional garnish- cilantro or chives, sour cream, salsa
How to make Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole
We are going to make this entire dish in just one skillet right on the stove unless you don't have any pre-cooked chicken breast. In that case, start with the prep the chicken section. Otherwise, skip to step 2, assemble!
Prep the Chicken
Start with pre-cooked chicken. You can choose to use boiled chicken, roasted chicken, instant pot chicken, or even store-bought rotisserie.
Shred the chicken with forks, meat claws, or an electric mixer.
Place your skillet over medium-low heat and add the oil. Once your oil is warm, add chicken broth, cream cheese, and sour cream, and cook until everything is melted and well combined.
Add in taco seasoning, chilis, and enchilada sauce, and stir to combine.
Add the shredded chicken to the skillet and simmer until heated through.
Top with shredded cheese.
Place the skillet in the oven and broil for 3 mins to melt cheese if want it browned and crispy.
Otherwise, cover the skillet with a baking pan and simmer until melted, 10 mins on the stovetop.
Top with optional garnishes and serve immediately.
Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe Tips
- Opt for block cheese and do the shredding yourself. This extra step only takes a few minutes but saves you unnecessary carbs that are in shredded cheese.
- If you don't think that cheddar is better, try Monterey Jack, Colby, or your favorite type of cheese.
- Feel free to use green enchilada sauce instead of red.
- Top your sour cream enchilada casserole with your favorite Mexican toppings such as salsa, guacamole, or sour cream.
- Meal prep your chicken ahead of time to make this an easy one-pan dinner to put together.
Keto/Low Carb - Use full-fat sour cream and cream cheese and read the labels to make sure you're using a brand that's actually almost no carb. Grate your own cheese since pre-shredded cheese has added starch and hidden carbs. Use no sugar taco seasoning (or make your own). Make sure your enchilada sauce does not contain hidden carbs and sugars.
Gluten-free - Your sour cream enchilada casserole is already gluten-free as it is written. Be sure to check the labels on any store-bought items you may use.
Sugar-free - Be sure to buy an enchilada sauce brand without added sugar or make your own.
Keto chicken enchilada casserole is Not Paleo/Whole30 since it uses dairy.
What to serve with Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Cauliflower Rice: This low-carb alternative to traditional rice pairs perfectly with enchilada casserole, soaking up all the flavorful sauce.
- Guacamole: Fresh homemade guacamole brings a creamy, refreshing contrast to the baked enchilada casserole.
- Grilled Zucchini: Sliced zucchini grilled with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper makes a simple and healthy side.
- Green Salad: A light, crisp salad with a tangy vinaigrette can balance out the hearty casserole.
- Keto-friendly Tortilla Chips: If you can find some low-carb tortilla chips, they'd be great for adding a bit of crunch.
- Sour Cream and Salsa: Classic toppings for enchilada casserole, adding a dollop of sour cream and some salsa on the side always works well.
- Roasted Bell Peppers: Slice up some bell peppers, toss them with olive oil and roast until they're tender.
- Sauteed Spinach: Wilt some fresh spinach in a pan with garlic for a quick and nutritious side dish.
You can store your leftover sour cream enchilada casserole in the fridge for 3-4 days. Additionally, you can meal-prep or create a double batch to allow for quick options all ready to go for lunches throughout the week.
Fully assembled, your keto chicken enchilada casserole will not freeze well because of the dairy. However, you can freeze shredded pre-cooked chicken for up to 6-months.
If you are not a fan of enchilada sauce, or simply want to change things up, swap the enchilada sauce for red salsa and enjoy!
More Healthy Mexican Recipes
- Baked keto enchiladas (with low carb tortillas)
- Low carb taco casserole
- Keto green chili chicken casserole
- Keto taco seasoning
- Low carb taco soup
- Slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken
- Keto chicken fajitas bake
- Keto Margaritas
- Keto taco pie
If you loved our recipe, please leave us a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review and leave us a comment too! Connect with us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, or YouTube!
Be sure to join our healthy recipes email list to get lots of meal prep ideas, plus free meal planning printables. We're here to make meal time simple!
Ray King-Pendergraff says
I sliced little avacado on top as i used all the sour cream for this recipe.....
THANKS, A KEEPER!
Made this for dinner it was delicious!!!’ Plan to make it gain with ground turkey.
Can you make this dish in the crockpot? If so, do you have steps?
What is the purpose of the oil in this recipe? Seems unnecessary.
This is DELICIOUS and so easy to make. I used a rotisserie chicken and tomato sauce that I seasoned myself and topped the final dish with salsa and guacamole - SO good!