Level up your air fryer chicken sandwich with this perfectly crispy, tender, and juicy masterpiece. Sandwiched between two toasted brioche buns and topped with zesty sriracha mayo, crisp lettuce, and tomato. Each bite is guaranteed to be a Whole Lotta Yum!
Air Fried Chicken Sandwich
Probably the most popular fried chicken sandwich on the planet. But there truly is no reason to wait an unnecessary amount of time in a fast food line, when you could prepare a fresh and juicy chicken sandwich right at home. Even in a normal take-out line, my kids have started a hangry fit halfway through.
This air fryer chicken sandwich recipe is also a healthier option than deep frying. I'm a huge fan of being able to control what I eat, and air fryer chicken always turns out so crisp and juicy. You'll find yourself air-frying way more often!
Our chick fil a copycat air-fried chicken sandwich has leveled up and will taste just as great as they look. Want more air fryer chicken recipes try my Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets or these yummy Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks.
Why You'll Love This!
- Affordable- When you don't want to break the bank by buying take-out chicken sandwiches.
- Super yummy- Sriracha mayo, pickle chips, and the generously seasoned flour make this air fryer chicken sandwich really stand out!
- Quick and easy! Just a few ingredients, no messy egg mixture to deal with, and no long line to wait in.
- Healthy - Air fryer chicken sandwiches have fewer calories than their deep-fried chicken counterpart.
🥘 Chicken Sandwich Air Fryer Recipe Ingredients
Just a few ingredients make a very yummy crispy chicken sandwich that you'll want to make at home more often than going out.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts - Skinless chicken breasts that are of an even thickness and cut in half.
- All-purpose flour - Makes the crispy breading and home for all of the spices. You can even use rice flour, cornstarch, or an almond flour mixture.
- Essential spices - A flavorful combination of garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. For even more spice, swap out pepper for cayenne pepper.
- Milk - Swap out milk for buttermilk. Both buttermilk and pickle juice will tenderize the chicken, so it's okay to just have one or the other.
- Dill pickle juice - Pickle juice will start to tenderize your chicken without a strong pickle taste. If you like the pickle flavor, add pickles to your chicken sandwich before eating.
- Serve on a toasted brioche bun, lettuce, sliced tomato, mayo, sriracha sauce, and sliced pickle chips.
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
- Condiments: Feel free to add any kind of condiments to this sandwich. I love a spicy mayo but ranch sauce, garlic aioli, or barbecue sauce would all taste delicious.
- Spicy Chicken Sandwich: In addition to other spices add cayenne pepper or chili powder to taste. If you have a hot sauce preference that is hotter than sriracha, use that!
- Make a Wrap: Don't like sandwich buns? Add all of your chicken sandwich ingredients to your wrap of choice.
- Mixing bowls
🔪 How to Cook Air Fryer Chick-fil-A Sandwich
Start by marinating the chicken cutlets in milk and pickle juice. Prepare your flour mixture with tasty spices. Coat in flour, spray with cooking oil, and air fry until golden. Finally, assemble your crispy chicken sandwich with our homemade chick fil a sauce.
Preheat the air fryer temperature to 375°F (190°C).
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the milk and the pickle juice. Add in the chicken breasts and cover, allowing the chicken to marinate in the brine for 20-30 minutes.
Make the spice mixture in a shallow bowl. Mix together the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and black pepper.
Dip chicken in the flour mixture straight from the milk brine. Coat all sides very well in the flour.
Spray the chicken breasts with cooking spray on both sides and place them in the air fryer basket in a single layer to cook evenly.
Cook the chicken in the air fryer for 14-17 minutes depending on the thickness and size of the chicken breasts, until golden brown and crispy. Carefully remove the chicken breasts from the air fryer basket.
Assemble the sandwiches by spreading mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce (if using) on brioche buns, then add a leaf of lettuce, a slice of tomato, and the crispy chicken breast. Top the other toasted bun with the mayo mixture. Alternately, assemble with mayo, pickles, chicken, and more mayo. Enjoy!
💡 Recipe Tips
- Do not skip the crucial step of marinating the chicken pieces in a mixture of milk and pickle juice. The longer the chicken is soaked in this brine, the better the taste will be. You can let it marinate overnight in the fridge and have it ready for dinner the following day.
- In case you're short on time and unable to marinate the chicken in the brine, you can apply an egg wash to the chicken before coating it with flour. Although it won't have the same taste as the marinated chicken, this will assist in creating a crispy and crunchy outer layer.
- Really make sure to spray a generous amount of cooking spray on the chicken in the air fryer. This will help the flour absorb the oil and cook, so you won't get odd patches of dry flour.
- Make sure not to be stingy with the seasoning while preparing this dish. Bland chicken is one of the most unappetizing things, so it's important to give it enough flavor.
- Using a meat thermometer, check the internal temperature of the chicken, which should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you don't like a mess in your air fryer basket, use perforated parchment paper on the bottom which will make for easy cleanup on the air fryer basket.
🥡 Storing and Reheating
- Storing: Take the air-fried chicken out of the buns and transfer it to an airtight container. You can keep it refrigerated for a maximum of 5 days.
- Freezing: Freeze for a maximum of 2 weeks.
- Reheating: Reheat by spraying cooking spray and placing the fried chicken breast in the air fryer until heated through.
Reheat by spraying with cooking spray and placing the fried chicken breast in the air fryer basket until heated through. Heat through until 165 degrees. Use a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken breast.
Yes! The air fryer is great for making frozen foods crispy and golden. If you don't have time for fresh chicken, prepare a few frozen chicken patties. While it won't taste as delicious as our chick fil a inspired air fryer chicken, you can always prepare it the same way and top with homemade chick fil a sauce.
😋 More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
Enjoy juicy chicken in any of these chicken air fryer recipes.
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs and Potatoes
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings Dry Rub
- Crispy Air Fryer Orange Chicken Recipe
💌 Get Meal Prep Help!
📌 Pin for Later
📌 Be sure to pin the recipe to Pinterest so you can easily find it again! ⬆️