Just a few ingredients and so simple, this keto chocolate mousse recipe with just a few ingredients will quickly become your new favorite keto dessert. So light and fluffy, not too rich, and perfectly sweetened. It's a Whole Lotta Yum!
Low Carb Mousse
When you first think of a low carb or keto chocolate mousse recipe, what first comes to mind? Having to slowly cook it over the stovetop and hopefully, you won't scorch it? Or maybe a dessert that requires setting time in the fridge perhaps?
You're in luck my friend, because our version of fluffy creamy chocolate mousse requires no cooking and it can be eaten immediately after mixing! Plus we show you how to make it with cream cheese or without and give you tons of options to add variety to your dessert rotation.
Why You'll Love This Keto Mousse Dessert!
- The keto mousse is no cook and only takes 5 minutes
- It's easy to make it even creamier by adding cream cheese
- Your choice of sweetener means you can control the sweetness level
- It's an easy no bake keto dessert you can adapt to other flavors like stirring in chocolate chips, low carb fruits, or even leaving out the chocolate to make vanilla
- You can beat the chocolate mousse recipe by hand if you don't have an electric mixer
Whether you want to call this keto chocolate mousse, keto chocolate moose, or keto chocolate fluff it is amazing, delicious, quick, and easy!
Our 5 minute chocolate dessert is a no cook recipe that's made easy with a mixer or you can beat it by hand. When you're craving something easy and full of flavor no-cook keto mousse hits the spot!
You can essentially make our low carb mousse with just 3 basic ingredients but we like to add a touch of vanilla and cream cheese when we're feeling extra indulgent. We think it's seriously the most delicious no-cook keto mousse recipe out there!
Creamy chocolate mousse truly does make the BEST keto dessert idea and it's one of those recipes no one would ever realize is keto. While our chocolate version is super popular, you'll also want to try our keto pumpkin mousse or keto strawberry cheesecake fluff for variety in your life.
Ingredients for Keto Chocolate Mousse with Cream Cheese
You truly won't believe how quick and easy this simple low carb chocolate mousse is, with just 3-5 ingredients and no stovetop cooking required, this is the perfect dessert to satisfy your cravings.
- heavy whipping cream - you really need the thickness of heavy whipping cream here, you can't substitute half n half or a lighter type of cream.
- unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch-process preferred) - Dutch process isn't as bitter as the standard unsweetened cocoa powder and we highly recommend it! if you don't have access to it, you can also add more sweetener to taste.
- monk fruit sweetener - our favorite low carb sweetener is monk fruit, you can also use a powdered sweetener, erythritol or another type of sweetener that's a 1:1 ratio to granulated sugar.
- Vanilla extract (optional but tasty)
Optional: Mix in ¼+ cup cream cheese if you want the consistency a little thicker, this is exactly how we made our keto pumpkin mousse and it is a heavenly addition!
How to Make Keto Chocolate Mousse
At first, you might be asking yourself if the keto chocolate mousse recipe resembles chocolate whipping cream instead of chocolate mousse (keto of course) since this is a no-bake recipe.
To get a mousse-like consistency, you're going to beat the mousse until stiff peaks form. Mousse is created by beating in the air bubbles that give this delicious keto chocolate dessert its light and fluffy texture.
It's super important not to overbeat your whipping cream since it will eventually turn to butter!
Here's a link to an article by Fine Cooking Magazine which shows images of soft peaks, medium peaks, and stiff peaks if you're curious about the differences.
And our photo below shows you perfectly beaten keto chocolate mousse with the type of peaks you're looking for when whipping the mixture.
Step 1: Add the heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and sweetener (or powdered sweetener) to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Also, add the softened cream cheese if you're using it.
Step 2: With a handheld electric mixer or stand mixer, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form, which will take about 2-3 minutes. You can definitely beat it with a handheld whisk, it'll just take a little longer! Do NOT overbeat the whipped cream or you'll turn it to butter instead of a light fluffy mousse!
It's best to serve the keto chocolate mousse immediately, but it can be stored for up to 2 hours in your fridge. Garnish with whipped cream on top if desired. The recipe serves 4 as a dessert. Enjoy!
Chocolate Mousse Keto Recipe Tips
- Have all of the low carb mousse ingredients ready to go and measured, this is very quick and easy!
- Be sure to use heavy whipping cream, something like half n half won't beat to the proper consistency
- Use Dutch process cocoa since it's less bitter than unsweetened cocoa powder
- If you only have stevia on hand to sweeten the keto mousse, it cannot be used in a 1:1 ratio. Just a ⅛-1/4 teaspoon will be plenty of sweeteners. Start with ⅛ teaspoon and add more if desired.
- Mix in ¼ cup cream cheese to make this even creamier.
- Add mix-ins like chocolate chips by hand after whipping the low carb chocolate mousse together.
- Make just what you can eat since it doesn't hold its shape or keep well.
- Mocha: Introduce instant espresso powder or strong brewed coffee (cooled). Top with sugar free chocolate chips.
- Chocolate Mint Mousse: Add a few drops of peppermint extract, start with just 1 drop at a time, and add more to taste. You can garnish it with fresh mint leaves.
- Raspberry: Fold in some mashed fresh raspberries. The tartness of the berries contrasts beautifully with the richness of chocolate. We garnished ours with freeze-dried berries but fresh would be amazing too!
- Almond: Mix in almond extract to taste and perhaps top your mousse with toasted almonds.
- Chocolate coconut: Add unsweetened shredded coconut into the mix or a bit of coconut extract.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Mousse: Swirl in some sugar free peanut butter or almond butter
- Chocolate Avocado Mousse: Blend in some ripe avocado for an even creamier texture. It blends in perfectly and doesn't even have an avocado taste!
- Whipped cream or sugar-free coconut cream
- Fresh berries (like strawberries or raspberries)
- Toasted nuts (pecans, hazelnuts, almonds)
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Sugar-free chocolate chips or shavings
- Cocoa nibs
- A sprinkle of sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- Sugar-free caramel drizzle
Chocolate Keto Mousse FAQ's
Unsweetened cocoa is rich, has a stronger bitter taste, and is also acidic, whereas unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder (also known as European cocoa powder) takes the acid out of the cocoa which reduces the bitter aftertaste.
If you only have regular unsweetened cocoa powder at home, I personally think it’s okay to still use that and just increase the sweeter a little bit. The vanilla extract also helps to add a punch of flavor to balance out the chocolate.
I've used both types of cocoa powder and both work great!
The keto chocolate mousse recipe is best served immediately, especially if you want to hold its fluffy shape.
The mousse will keep in the fridge for up to two hours. It'll seriously start to soften and lose its shape after that so you only want to make as much as you need for a recipe.
This is the exact set I have if you're wondering how I made the keto chocolate recipe into a pretty shape, and the Amazon price is almost half the price as my local store charged! It also comes with 8 plastic pastry bags to get you started. It's super cheap and seriously makes whipped cream, frosting, and mousse extra fancy.
More Keto Chocolate Recipes
If you're looking for even more keto chocolate recipes, you'll love our other ideas!
- Keto chocolate covered almonds
- No bake chocolate peanut butter fat bombs
- Keto chocolate
- Flourless chocolate cake with cocoa powder
- Keto rum balls
- Keto chocolate mints