One package of frozen egg rolls in an air fryer cooked to crisp perfection is a great snack or side dish that cooks in less than 15 minutes.
Air Fryer Frozen Egg Rolls Recipe
Learning how to air fry egg rolls is quicker than throwing them in the oven or deep frying, plus air fryer frozen egg rolls become crispy egg rolls with the perfect texture and taste.
There was a battle between frozen egg rolls and spring rolls growing up, and while spring rolls are fresh and tasty, I often went for the egg rolls. Maybe it's the golden brown texture or the mixture of goodness inside. Getting that deep fried texture without the added fat is a perfect reason to be cooking frozen egg rolls in the air fryer.
What is an egg roll?
If you've always wondered, an egg roll is a savory deep-fried appetizer with shredded cabbage, typically pork or chicken, and other veggies inside. Buying frozen egg rolls is more common in the US than making homemade egg rolls at home. Egg rolls do NOT contain egg, which might be surprising.
Because of that, you can make or buy them vegetarian or vegan but make sure to check all the ingredients beforehand. You can also buy rice paper wraps to make them gluten-free.
Why You'll Love This Recipe!
- By air frying, the crunchy egg rolls are done in half the time as an oven or when deep frying.
- Frozen egg rolls in air fryer have a crispier crunch and powerful flavor.
- Easy, no mess frozen egg rolls you can make for friends, family, or your midday snack.
- Perfect side dish with your favorite dipping sauce.
What can you serve alongside the air fryer frozen egg rolls? Some sauteed veggies, our cauliflower fried rice, and if you have a pressure cooker, egg drop soup is a great addition. And if you love egg rolls then you'll also want to try our healthy egg roll in a bowl recipe. And of course additional easy air fryer recipes on the side works great too!
Air Fryer Egg Rolls (Frozen) Ingredients
You can have these quick and easy air fryer frozen spring rolls on the table even faster when you start with high-quality frozen foods, which are more and more common at grocery stores these days.
Trader Joe's and Whole Foods brands of frozen egg rolls have no artificial ingredients if you're looking for the original tasting egg roll but a little healthier.
- 1 pkg of frozen egg rolls - how many can fit in the air fryer can vary depending on model size. You can use frozen egg rolls such as pork, chicken egg rolls, or vegetable egg rolls.
- Optional dipping sauce-soy sauce, wheat-free tamari, sweet chili sauce, or sweet and sour sauce.
Air Fryer- We have an Omni Plus oven style air fryer, a Cosori 5.8L air fryer, and a small 3.2L Farberware basket style air fryer. The egg rolls cooking method will be the same regardless of the air fryer oven model that you have.
How to cook frozen egg rolls in the air fryer
Frozen egg rolls in the air fryer are super duper easy to make. All you have to do is preheat, set your egg rolls cooking time, and cook egg rolls until crispy and crunchy. If you want to make a sauce to go with while you wait, here is a tasty sweet and sour sauce recipe!
Preheat the air fryer to 400F for 5 minutes.
It’s ok to add oil or cooking spray if you have an aluminum air fryer basket, but if it’s non-stick do NOT use cooking spray. Cooking sprays ruin the finish and will make the food in the non-stick basket STICK.
Lay the egg rolls in a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving space around them for the best results. Do not stack the egg rolls on top of each other, as they won't turn out as crisp.
How long to cook frozen egg rolls in air fryer?
Air fry the egg rolls for a total 12-14 minutes, flipping after 8 minutes.
Keep an eye on the egg rolls crispness level, various units have different levels of power and could take a little less time, or even a little bit more. Serve the crispy egg rolls with your favorite dipping sauce such as soy sauce or sweet chili sauce and enjoy!
Recipe Tips for Air Fry Egg Rolls
- You can use the same method as your air fryer frozen egg rolls but with spring rolls if you prefer!
- Add a dipping sauce for serving with the egg rolls. They don't take long to make and it'll be worth having a little something extra.
- If you have a non-stick air fryer basket, don't use cooking spray. You CAN add a spritz if you have an aluminum air frying tray.
- We recommend starting with a preheated air fryer when making egg rolls for consistent cooking times and also suggest to cook frozen foods from frozen and not to defrost them first.
- Depending on the model type you have, some air fryers cook slower or faster than others. Check the cooking time of frozen foods and all foods at least a couple of minutes early.
- We do not recommend following our air fry to cook homemade air fryer rolls, you should look for a specific recipe for fresh and homemade ones if that's what you have on hand.
What to serve with egg rolls:
Serve the air fry egg rolls recipe with the following sides:
- Dipping Sauces such sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce, peanut sauce, hoisin sauce, or plum sauce.
- Egg roll in a bowl
- Asian Noodles
- Thai chicken peanut salad
- Egg Drop Soup
- Stir-Fried Vegetables
You can store leftover air fryer frozen egg rolls in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can also store leftover egg rolls in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
If you have leftover egg rolls and want to reheat them in an air fryer, simply preheat the air fryer basket or oven to 400F and air fry them for 1-2 minutes until heated through. There's no need to flip the egg rolls during heating.
There are many popular frozen egg rolls brands on the market, and which one you pick comes down to personal preference!
Pagoda Egg Rolls: Pagoda is a popular brand that offers a variety of frozen egg rolls, including chicken egg rolls, vegetable egg rolls, and pork options.
Tai Pei Egg Rolls: Tai Pei is another popular brand that offers a variety of frozen egg rolls, including pork egg rolls, chicken, and vegetable options.
Van's Kitchen Egg Rolls: Van's Kitchen is a brand that offers a variety of egg rolls, including classic pork, chicken egg rolls, and vegetable options, as well as specialty flavors like shrimp and avocado.
Trader Joe's Egg Rolls: Trader Joe's is a popular grocery store chain that offers its own brand of egg rolls, including vegetable and chicken options. Plus their recipes don't include any artificial ingredients.
Egg rolls and spring rolls are both popular in Asian cuisine, but here are the main differences:
Wrapper: Egg rolls are typically wrapped in a thicker, wheat-based wrapper that is coated in egg before frying, while spring rolls are wrapped in a thinner, rice-based wrapper that is not coated in egg and is typically served fresh or fried without an egg coating.
Filling: Egg rolls are typically filled with a cooked mixture of meats, vegetables, and sometimes noodles, while spring rolls are often filled with raw or lightly cooked vegetables, herbs, and sometimes shrimp or meat.
Cooking Method: Egg rolls are typically deep-fried, while spring rolls are usually served fresh.
Origin: Egg rolls are a popular appetizer in Chinese-American cuisine, while spring rolls are commonly found in many Asian cuisines, including Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, and Filipino.
More Air Fryer Frozen Recipes
If you're looking for more easy air fryer recipes like frozen egg rolls, then you'll love these too:
- Air fryer frozen corn dogs
- Frozen chicken tenders in air fryer
- Frozen fish sticks in air fryer
- Air fryer frozen taquitos