This low carb cauliflower fried rice recipe tastes just as food as traditional fried rice, but without the carbs or processed ingredients, it's so much healthier!
Our keto version uses cauliflower rice in place of white rice, still has all the veggies you love, and can be made with or without chicken! Oh, and it's ready in under 30-minutes, making this dish faster than take out, and, as always, it's a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
And for a more traditional fried rice recipe, your family will love Instant Pot chicken fried rice too.
What Is Keto Cauliflower Fried Rice?
Eating low carb fried rice with cauliflower is definitely one of our favorites, plus it's so easy to adapt by changing up the vegetables or using a different protein.
If you're intrigued by the thought of low carb fried rice with chicken but aren't exactly sure how it differs from traditional fried rice, here's what you need to know!
Low carb and keto fried riced caulifower simply substitutes the white rice commonly found in fried rice and instead uses a low carb swap like riced cauliflower. Cauliflower cut into very fine pieces takes on a similar mild taste and texture to rice in so many recipes. If you're trying to cut back on starchy carbs or can't eat rice, cauliflower fried rice is an amazing variation.
Keto Chicken Fried Rice
I don't know about you, but eating Chinese food or other types of Asian dishes are the favorites in our household. Whenever the kids want to go out to dinner it's almost always suggested that we get Chinese, Thai, or sushi.
What I don't like about eating out for Chinese is the regular usage of MSG, artificial ingredients, and sugar. Making our own healthy Chinese food at home is a win-win situation! Not only is it less expensive, we know what's in it, and it's cooks up in less time than it takes to get take-out or delivery.
Not only is this cauliflower fried rice keto recipe a great healthy fried rice alternative for those who are following keto or low-carb lifestyles, but it's also gluten-free, paleo, Whole30 approved as well! You can even make it vegetarian by skipping the chicken or swapping it for baked tofu.
Whether you are looking for a simple meal or a side that pairs well with a variety of main courses, keto chicken fried rice is a great recipe to have on hand!
Why You'll Love This!
- The use of fresh aromatics like ginger, garlic, and green onions adds a bold flavor that tastes like your restaurant favorite.
- Using rotisserie or leftover chicken makes this a fast meal in under 20 minutes!
- The blend of healthy ingredients works for a variety of eating lifestyles including keto, low-carb, gluten-free, Whole30, and paleo.
- It's easy to add additional low carb vegetables (like bell pepper, mushrooms, or broccoli) and make substitutions.
The fried riced cauliflower recipe is one you are going to want to save! With cauliflower rice, fresh veggies, coconut aminos, and savory elements including garlic and ginger, you are about to see just how easy it is to make Chinese food right at home!
- olive oil, avocado, or coconut oil
- riced cauliflower - it can be purchased pre-riced by the bag or cauliflower can be riced from the head like our broccoli rice.
- carrot - diced. Baby carrots are great to use if you don't have whole carrots.
- onions - sliced. Red, white, or sweet onions are work well.
- garlic - minced
- ginger - grated. You can grate fresh ginger or use frozen ginger.
- eggs - large
- chicken - precooked. Need a recipe? Try our boiled chicken tenders, baked thin chicken breast, baked chicken tenderloin, or our boiled chicken breast recipe
- tamari or coconut aminos - both of these are gluten-free and wheat free and keep the carbs down in place of the traditional soy sauce.
- sesame oil - a key ingredient, don't skip it
- optional - garnish with scallions, sesame seeds, sriracha sauce, or red pepper flakes
Include additional vegetables including peas, broccoli, mushrooms, or bell peppers based on your own preferences.
Instead of keto chicken fried rice, why not make pork, beef, or shrimp?
Vegetarian or vegan - omit the chicken or substitute it for baked tofu
Step By Step Instructions
The keto chicken fried rice recipe comes together super quickly, so it's best to complete all of the prep work before you fire up your skillet.
Begin by prepping all of your ingredients - rice cauliflower (unless you bought a bag that is ready to go), chop your vegetables as well as the garlic, and whip your eggs into a small bowl. Chop your pre-cooked chicken as well.
Preheat a large skillet on medium heat and add the oil.
When the oil is hot, add the onion slices and cook for 3 minutes.
Add cauliflower and diced carrot, if you're using it. You could also add diced bell pepper, mushrooms, broccoli, or spinach if you'd prefer.
Cook the cauliflower, onion, and vegetables for 5 mins, until they're just starting to soften.
Add the minced garlic and grated ginger, cooking for 1 minute.
Add the pre-cooked chicken to the pan and cook the cauliflower rice with chicken until it's heated all the way through.
Push the keto fried rice to the side, crack 2 whipped eggs and cook until the eggs are scrambled. Once cooked, combine the scrambled eggs into the rice mixture.
Add tamari or coconut aminos and sesame oil. Mix to combine all ingredients.
Adjust the cauliflower fried rice with chicken as desired, whether that be to add more tamari sauce, or add salt and pepper.
Garnish and Serve
Terrific yet optional garnishes include green onion slices, red pepper flakes, sriracha sauce, and sesame seeds.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- The low carb fried rice recipe comes together very quickly. Prepping your ingredients before you begin cooking will allow you to focus on cooking and making this the best fried rice you have ever had.
- Frequent stirring will prevent the fried rice from sticking to the pan or burning.
- To prevent the garlic from burning, don't add it too early.
- Keep a close eye on the various brand labels, some might sneak in hidden carbs.
- If you substitute rotisserie chicken over cooking your own, it'll add extra sodium to the recipe.
Keto chicken fried rice with chicken lasts up to 5 days in the fridge in a covered glass container. For the best flavor and taste, we recommend eating the low carb fried rice recipe within 3 days. Sometimes chicken changes in flavor as it sits in the fridge and doesn't taste as fresh.
Cauliflower rice can be frozen for up to 6 months in your freezer. Store in a freezer-safe container, in freezer bags, or vacuum seal for even longer storage.
This low-carb fried rice is filled with healthy vegetables, heart-healthy fats, all-natural ingredients, plus it uses natural seasoning that's sugar-free and gluten-free. Keto fried rice doesn't get much healthier than this!
More Low Carb Asian Recipes
If you love cooking authentic Asian recipes in your home, be sure to check these out today!
- Low-Carb Egg Drop Soup
- Crack Slaw Recipe
- Riced Broccoli
- Eggroll in a Bowl (Weight Watchers Approved)
- Insant Pot Hot and Sour Soup