With our Instant Pot chicken fried rice recipe, you can easily make homemade fried rice anytime you want it. Our one-pot dinner recipe is filled with chicken, rice, and all of the veggies you have come to expect from chicken fried rice. Healthier than takeout, our pressure cooker dish is seasoned with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil to create a bowl of fried rice with chicken that is a WHOLE LOTTA YUM.
Chicken Fried Rice Instant Pot
Take-out might be tasty, but we are all about eating healthy without sacrificing flavor. That is what makes our Instant Pot chicken fried rice so amazing!
And while the texture of Instant Pot chicken fried rice might be different than that of traditional fried rice, that didn't stop my household from enjoying eat and every flavorful bite.
This chicken fried rice instant pot recipe can easily be considered a complete meal by itself. With a mix of chicken, rice, and vegetables, there is no need to add anything else to go with it. However, a nice bowl of Instant Pot hot and sour soup or Instant Pot egg drop soup would pair very nicely with the chicken fried rice.
Why You'll Love This!
- You can now make authentic chicken fried rice in your home all in one pot thanks to your pressure cooker!
- Our Instant Pot chicken fried rice recipe is burst with Asian-inspired flavor because we are utilizing distinctly Asian ingredients including fresh ginger and sesame oil.
- This Instant Pot fried rice with chicken recipe comes together super quickly and only requires about 15-minutes of your time before the pressure cooker does all of the hard work.
- Instant pot chicken fried rice is naturally dairy-free and can also be gluten-free with a quick adaption (see below).
Are you following a low-carb lifestlye, but still hoping to enjoy all of the wonderful Asian flavors that chicken fried rice contains? Be sure to check out our lighter, low-carb fried rice variations including cauliflower rice and keto crack slaw.
Your Instant Pot chicken fried rice does have quite a few ingredients to it, but it will be well worth it when you combine them all and enjoy the taste of a homemade chicken fried rice.
- extra virgin olive oil
- chicken breast - boneless, skinless, chopped into bite-size pieces. Chicken tenders or chicken thighs could be used instead.
- chicken broth
- Jasmine rice - thoroughly rinsed. Other long grain rice will work but Jasmine works the best
- carrots - Either cut up baby carrots or peeled whole carrots.
- frozen peas - defrosted, fresh cooked peas could be added at the end.
- onion - red, yellow, or sweet onion all work.
- garlic cloves - minced
- ginger - minced
- soy sauce - or wheat-free tamari
- rice wine vinegar
- sesame oil
- Chicken - While chicken fried rice does call for using chicken, you could also use the same steps and ingredients to make beef or pork fried rice by swapping either for the chicken.
A Pressure Cooker - This is the Instant Pot model that we used.
- Vegetarian - Make vegetarian fried rice by omitting the chicken and swapping the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
- Gluten-Free- Swap the soy sauce with wheat-free tamari sauce for a gluten-free chicken fried rice.
Step by Step Instructions
With just 15-minutes of prep work, your Instant pot chicken fried rice will come together surprisingly quickly. Once you have the pressure cooker loaded with rice, meat, and vegetables, you are free to sit back and relax.
Chop, slice, and mince all of your vegetables.
Turn the Instant Pot to Saute Medium and heat the pot.
Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and scramble the eggs until just cooked.
Remove the eggs from the pot and set them aside.
Add the other tablespoon of olive oil and saute the minced garlic for 1 minute.
Add the chicken broth and scrape up the garlic bits on the bottom of the pot.
Add the chicken, carrots, rice, and ginger.
Do not stir the ingredients but gently push them down into the broth.
Put the lid on the pot.
Pressure Cook on high for 3 minutes and then do a Natural Release for 10 minutes before removing the lid.
The pot will take about 15 minutes to come to pressure before it starts cooking.
Stir in the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, cooked eggs, peas and onions.
Stir well to combine.
Garnish with sliced green onions or sesame seeds if desired. Enjoy!
- Be sure to chop, slice, and mince all of your vegetables before you turn on your instant pot as your Instant Pot chicken fried rice will come together quickly.
- We highly recommend using long grain rice like white Jasmine rice. Do not substitute brown rice for this recipe, they have different cooking times.
- Be sure to rinse the rice thoroughly before cooking. To rinse your rice, fill the bowl with water and stir throughly. Pour out the starchy water and repeat until the water runs clear. This takes serveral rinses and is important to prevent sticky rice.
While chicken fried rice is a complete meal by itself, we do understand that some may wish to serve it with additional items. We recommend pairing your pressure cooker fried rice with a nice bowl of Instant Pot hot and sour soup or Instant Pot egg drop soup.
You can store any leftover Instant Pot fried rice in the fridge in a covered container for up to 4 days.
Yes, you can freeze chicken fried rice. To serve, thaw then fry the rice on the stovetop.
More Instant Pot Asian Recipes
Looking for more Instant Pot Asian recipes?-if that's a category on the site link to it (pick 1 topic like keto, chicken, crockpot)-pull from most recent posts as much as possible, add links too.
- Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Lo Mein
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken Bowl Recipe
- Asian BBQ Instant Pot beef ribs