Cooking frozen onion rings in air fryer is a great way to get these tasty appetizers on your table, harnessing the power of air to create a crispy crunchy onion ring! Using the air fryer, we are going to get these breaded rings on our table in under 30-minutes and your whole family is going to love it!
Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings
We prefer to use Alexia brand onion rings. They are non-GMO, use natural ingredients, and are super tasty coated in panko bread crumbs. However, you can use this recipe with your family’s favorite brand of frozen onion ring and dipping sauces.
While frozen onion rings in the air fryer is not the most healthy item you may make, they can be part of a balanced diet when consumed in moderation.
Traditionally, air fryer frozen onion rings are served as part of an appetizer spread alongside mozzarella sticks, chicken wings, french fries, and chicken tenders, or as a side dish for a quick weeknight meal that is super kid-friendly (and you know you’ll love it too).
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Our air fryer frozen onion rings recipe is easy enough for even the newest air fryer owner to complete with ease!
- Done in under 15-minutes, including prep-time, your air fryer frozen onion rings make getting dinner on the table on busy weeknights a breeze!
- This recipe works whether you have a small or large fryer!
Are you looking for more simple snack recipes for your air fryer? Look no further than our air fryer corn dogs, air fryer french fries, air fryer fish sticks, air fryer taquitos, and air fryer frozen pizza rolls.
Air fryer onion rings is one of the simplest recipes you will find, needing just an air fryer and your favorite brand of frozen onion rings.
- Frozen Onion Rings – any brand will do, but we recommend Alexia
- Your favorite dipping sauce – ketchup, mustard, BBQ, and ranch are common options.
Step by Step Instructions
Preheat your fryer, place your frozen onion rings in, flip, and serve! Onion rings in an air fryer is truly a simple recipe!
Air Fryer Onion Rings Temperature
Preheat your air fryer to 400F. If your air fryer doesn’t automatically do this for you, simply turn your model on for 3-5 minutes prior to cooking.
We have found that frozen items cook better and come out crunchier when cooked at a higher temperature.
It is ok to add oil or cooking spray if you have an aluminum air fryer basket, but if you have a non-stick basket do NOT use cooking spray. Cooking sprays ruin the finish and will make the food in the non-stick basket STICK.
While the air fryer is heating, place your onion rings in your air fryer basket in a single layer. The size of your air fryer will determine how many frozen onion rings you can cook in a batch.
Air fryer Onion Rings Cook Time
Cook your frozen onion rings in air fryer for 5 minutes then flip. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes keeping an eye on them so they do not burn.
You will cook the frozen onion rings for a total of 8-9 minutes.
Air fryer models can differ in cooking time, so keep an eye on yours during the last few minutes of cooking to prevent any from burning.
Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy!
- Be sure to preheat your air fryer before cooking your frozen onion rings.
- This recipe is based on using frozen onion rings. You do not need to thaw your frozen onion rings before cooking them.
- Your frozen onion rings will need the air to be able to circulate around them so be sure not to overcrowd your air fryer’s basket. Cook in batches if necessary.
- Depending on the size of your air fryer model, you’ll be able to cook 1/2 lb of onion rings to 1 lb.
Air fryer Frozen onion rings are the perfect easy side dish for a variety of main dishes including air fryer frozen chicken breast and air fryer kielbasa. You can also serve air fryer onion rings as part of an appetizer platter.
Technically you can stack the onions, but they turn out much better in a single layer. Stacking your onion rings will prevent the hot air from getting to the entire onion ring and they may not come out as crispy. If you opt to stack your onion rings, be sure to shake your basket every 4 minutes.
Preheat air fryer to 400F, in a single layer cook 1-2 minutes until heated back up and crispy.
- 1/2 lb - 1 lb frozen onion rings
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes at 400F.
- The total cooking time for air fried frozen onion rings is 8 minutes, you'll want to flip them after 5 minutes.
- Continue cooking for 3-4 more minutes until cooked through and crispy to your liking.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce.
Air fryer onion rings from frozen are delicious served with your favorite dipping sauce like ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, or Ranch.
Depending on the size of your air fryer model, you'll be able to hold 1/2 lb of onion rings up to 1 lb.
If you have a toaster oven style unit you can spray the aluminum basket with cooking spray, if it's non-stick do not add an oil spray.
Some models do a better job circulating the air than others, in an Instant Pot Omni Plus air fryer, it was not necessary to flip the onion rings since it did a good job browning both sides.
Be sure to preheat the air fryer before cooking to ensure a consistent cooking time.
Keep an eye on the onion rings the first time you cook them since some models cook faster than others.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 5 rings
Amount Per Serving Calories 240Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 390mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 3g
More Air Fryer Frozen Vegetables
Looking for more air fryer frozen vegetable recipes?