A simple shredded buffalo chicken dip recipe using cooked shredded chicken breasts that will be everyone's favorite when you need an appetizer for football game days, a New Year's party, a summer BBQ, or just because.
Just 10 minutes of prep work and then we show you how to make it on the stove or in a slow cooker. It's a Whole Lotta Yum!
Buffalo chicken dip is always a favorite, especially during football season. Sometimes we'll even eat it for dinner since this is so tasty and hearty! While yes, it's faster to make shredded chicken dip on the stovetop, the reason we pull out the crock-pot is that it keeps it warm during the entire game.
Serve the shredded chicken buffalo dip with a variety of sides including celery, bread cubes, crackers, cheese crackers, or even crunchy pepperoni chips. It's nice to have a variety so everyone can select their favorites.
Why You'll Love This!
- With just 10 minutes of prep work (and already cooked chicken) shredded buffalo chicken dip is an easy recipe you just dump, stir, and heat!
- Using shredded chicken gives the dip a heartier taste and texture compared to canned chicken, and makes this dip almost like a meal.
- If you or your guests have diet restrictions you'll be happy to know that our buffalo chicken dip recipe is low carb, keto, and gluten-free.
- Using natural ingredients instead of processed mixes like other recipes tastes better and is healthier. This is a buffalo chicken dip without Ranch recipe.
The basics of our shredded chicken buffalo dip just use 5 common ingredients, plus seasoning like garlic, salt, and pepper.
- cooked chicken - we used simple boiled chicken breasts and shredded them with two forks, you can also use frozen chicken tenders, or make baked chicken breasts for the dip. If you use canned chicken it'll be a finer shred and you might need less of it (it could also come saltier than cooking chicken breasts raw).
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- Franks Red Hot Sauce - either the original sauce or Frank's buffalo sauce, non-Frank's hot sauce brands can be used too.
- shredded cheese- cheddar, Monterey Jack, 3 cheese blend, blue cheese crumbles
- garlic salt - a combo of garlic powder and salt to taste also works
- Garnish - green onions, crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- Rotisserie chicken - Can be used instead of making your own but it could make the shredded chicken dip saltier than by starting with chicken breast meat so salt the dip to taste and use less than our recipe states.
- Add Ranch seasoning - Many dip recipe use Ranch seasoning but ours is a buffalo chicken dip no Ranch recipe. But by all means, you can mix it in to taste if you have it on hand.
Step by Step Instructions
Shred the precooked chicken. You can do this with two forks or for a finer shred, you can shred chicken in a Kitchenaid mixer.
Soften and cut the cream cheese into cubes, which can be done by cutting it into cubes and microwaving the cream cheese for 15-20 seconds.
Add the cooked shredded chicken, the cream cheese cubes, sour cream, Franks red hot sauce, shredded cheese, and garlic salt to a medium-sized crock-pot.
Stir until all of the ingredients are combined.
Put the lid on the crock-pot and cook the dip on low for 1-2 hours until heated through and bubbly.
Remove from the crock-pot and put it into a dip serving dish.
As a garnish, you can add sliced green onions and/or blue cheese crumbles. Blue cheese and Frank's red hot go hand in hand, but not everyone is a blue cheese fan. Feel free to skip it if that's you!
If you're making it on the stovetop, add 2 teaspoon of olive oil to a medium-sized saucepan or skillet on the stovetop over medium heat.
And the dip ingredients, stir, turn the heat down to medium-low and cook for 7-10 minutes until heated through.
- Instead of making a slow cooker recipe, you can also cook the shredded buffalo chicken dip recipe on the stovetop over medium heat until it's warm.
- We like to serve the dip straight from the crock-pot to help keep it warm and at a safe temperature when we're hosting.
Buffalo chicken dip is typically served with crackers, celery, or bread, but it can also be served as part of an appetizer spread. Create a perfect game-day table when you include buffalo chicken dip with air fryer chicken wings, jalapeno poppers, and spinach artichoke dip!
You can store leftover slow cooker buffalo chicken dip in the fridge in a covered container for up to 4 days.
Yes, you can freeze this dip for up to 3 months. To heat from frozen use a crockpot on warm or low. Thawed buffalo chicken dip may have more moisture after freezing.
More Creamy Dip Recipes
- Buffalo chicken dip with canned chicken
- Chili artichoke dip
- Instant Pot spinach artichoke dip
- Mexican corn dip with cream cheese
- Whipped ricotta dip with honey