Healthy meals can't get easier than our chicken burrito bowl meal prep recipe! Save money by making Chipoltle-style burrito bowls at home that are easy to customize. Even better? When you start with healthy canned foods and precooked rice, this healthy main dish in less than 20 mins! It's a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
✅ Get our FREE healthy meal prep printables + meal plan! 🥑
Assembling simple meal prep bowls like healthy chicken burrito bowls makes for an easy lunch during the week or a healthy dinner everyone will always enjoy.
To make the chicken burrito bowl meal prep recipe we used ground chicken, you can also use shredded chicken or try using our seasoned slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken for variety. You can also cook cubed chicken seasoned with taco spices and go Chipotle style.
- ground chicken - ground turkey, lean ground beef, cubed chicken, or shredded chicken
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, white rice, or cauliflower rice
- taco seasoning - we love to make our own sugar-free taco seasoning, or use your favorite store-bought brand.
- black beans - any brand of beans or refried beans work well
- can of corn - Trader Joes frozen roasted corn is fabulous too
- pico de gallo salsa - or any brand of chunky salsa
- fresh cilantro - used as a garnish
Chipotle Sauce (optional)
When you have extra time, making homemade chipotle sauce is a fabulous addition!
- nonfat Greek yogurt
- light sour cream
- chipotle in adobe sauce - this comes in small cans, you'll just need 1 pepper
- lime juice - fresh juice only, please don't use concentrate
- honey - any touch of your favorite sweetener will work
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
As written, the chicken burrito bowl meal prep recipe is gluten-free and sugar-free. It's easy to adapt to dairy-free, lower carb, or vegan.
- Vegan- skip the chicken and use extra beans or sauted sietan pieces
- Dairy Free- don't add sour cream or the chipotle sauce, or use vegan options
- Low carb- to reduce the carbs in the meal prep chicken burrito bowls, use cauliflower rice instead of brown or white rice. Black soybeans are also lower in carb than black beans.
Step by Step Instructions
Make the Chipotle Sauce
If you're making the chipotle sauce combine the yogurt, sour cream, garlic, lime juice, and honey in a small bowl. In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, saute the ground chicken.
Cook the Chicken
Add in the taco seasoning and cook the meat according to the package instructions.
Assemble the Bowls
Assemble each of the chicken burrito meal prep bowls with ½ cup brown rice, ½ cup taco chicken meat, ¼ cup black beans, ¼ cup corn, 1+ tablespoon pico de gallo salsa, and 1-2 tablespoon chipotle sauce or sour cream.
- Instead of ground chicken, you can also use ground beef or ground turkey. Shredded ground chicken makes a fantastic option too.
- The chipotle sauce is delicious and adds a nice kick, if you're short on time, just adding a dollop of sour cream or guacamole sauce is delicious.
- The recipe makes 4 meal prep bowls. The calories are 499 per bowl if you use brown rice and 2 tablespoon of chipotle sauce, you can reduce the calories by cutting back on sauce or swapping brown rice for cauliflower rice.
The chicken burrito bowls can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
More Meal Prep Recipes
- Healthy meal prep recipes
- Low carb meal prep for lunch
- Whole30 meal prep recipes
- Keto bowls to meal prep