Air fried chicken cutlets are the quick and easy dinner recipe your whole family is going to LOVE! We are breading our chicken cutlets with panko and regular breadcrumbs, seasoning it with chicken rub, and air frying super quick to create a WHOLE LOTTA YUM chicken dinner in under 30-minutes!
Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
When it’s just my husband and me for dinner, these air fryer chicken cutlets are the best way for us to create a dinner at home in less time than it takes to order takeout. And if the kids happen to be home, we can just add another one or two cutlets to the air fryer and make it work.
Either way, learning how to air fry chicken cutlets are a dinner that works and doesn’t require anyone to spend a ton of time in the kitchen.
And when we serve air fryer green beans and air fryer baked potatoes alongside our air fryer chicken cutlets, it’s a quick meal all around! Plus, using just one kitchen appliance makes cleanup a breeze. That, my friend, is win/win!
Why You’ll Love This!
- By combining regular breadcrumbs with panko breadcrumbs you get both a great coating and a superb crunch!
- Chicken cutlets in air fryer are a whole lot healthier for you than traditional deep frying methods.
- Air fried chicken cutlets pack all the flavor and the crunch you expect from traditional deep-fried methods without the unhealthy oils and fats you don’t want.
- With a cook time of just 12-minutes, and about 10-minutes of prep work, your air fried chicken cutlets are the go-to recipe for nights when dinner must be fast.
To get a superb coating we are going to use two different types of breadcrumbs, mix in a little seasoning, and let the air fryer work it’s magic to create the perfect chicken cutlet air fryer dinner.
- chicken cutlets – or chicken breast cut lengthwise to make cutlets
- eggs – beaten
- panko breadcrumbs
- dried breadcrumbs
- seasoning- garlic salt, black pepper, paprika
- olive oil
- optional – dipping sauces such as BBQ, ranch, or honey mustard.
Seasoning – while we LOVE chicken rub for the seasoning, you can substitute it with your own favorites. Try Italian seasoning, taco seasoning, BBQ dry rub, or create your own mix of herbs and/or spices to create a truly unique flavor combination.
- Gluten-Free– use gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Keto– use low-carb breadcrumb options and watch the sugars in any optional dipping sauces you choose.
Step by Step Instructions
A quick dip in egg and seasoned breadcrumbs, followed by some time in the air fryer, and you will be on your way to serving air fryer chicken cutlets.
Crack and scramble the eggs in a small bowl.
In another small bowl, combine both the panko and the regular breadcrumbs and the chicken rub.
Dip the chicken cutlets one at a time, first in the beaten eggs on both sides and then in the bread crumb mix. Shake off the excess.
Lay the thinly sliced chicken pieces in the air fryer basket. Mist one side with oil.
Preheat your air fryer for 5-minutes at 400F. Most air fryer models will do this automatically, but if yours does not turn your air fryer on and allow it at least 5 minutes to come up to temperature.
Place your prepared chicken cutlets in your air fryer and cook for 6 minutes. Flip, then spritz the other side with oil. Continue cooking for an additional 4-6 minutes.
Cook the chicken cutlets in air fryer recipe for approximately 10-12 minutes in total, or until the internal temperature of your chicken reaches 160F.
Remove the chicken and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Preheating your air fryer for at least 5 minutes is a must to achieve the best results!
- An egg wash does the best job of getting the crumbs to stick to the chicken so please don’t brush the chicken with olive oil and then dip in bread crumbs. The egg wash works much better!
- Learning how to air fry chicken cutlets use both regular breadcrumbs and panko breadcrumbs to get the best coating and crispiness.
- We do recommend flipping your air fryer chicken cutlets for even cooking and to allow the second side to be spritzed with oil.
- Spritzing both sides of your chicken cutlets helps them to crisp up in the air fryer.
- Air fried chicken cutlets will need some air between them, so be sure not to overcrowd your fryer. Cook in batches if necessary.
- If you buy precut cutlets, or thinly sliced chicken breasts as they’re often called, they can vary in size, even within the same package. The thicker or larger cutlets might need to cook a tad longer.
Sort of! If you’re cooking breaded chicken cutlets, they are very similar to Schnitzel, which are thinly pounded and breaded veal, pork chops, or thin chicken breast slices that is a recipe that originated in Germany. So if you’re looking for an air fryer chicken schnitzel recipe, the air fry chicken cutlets recipe is essentially the same thing.
Stored in the fridge in a covered container, leftovers will last up to 4 days according to the USDA. Reheat your leftovers in your air fryer for 2-3 minutes until warmed through.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
- Air fryer chicken drumsticks
- Frozen chicken thighs in air fryer
- Frozen chicken nuggets in air fryer
- Air fryer breaded chicken breast
- Air fryer chicken sausage
- Air fryer chicken fajitas
- 4 chicken cutlets (sometimes called thinly sliced chicken breasts), or take 2 large chicken breasts and cut them in half for 4 cutlets
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp chicken rub
- Olive oil
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F for 5 minutes
- You'll need two shallow bowls or plates. In the first, add the eggs to one dish and in the 2nd dish, combine both kinds of breadcrumbs and the chicken rub seasoning.
- Dip the chicken cutlets one at a time, first in the beaten eggs on both sides and then in the bread crumb mix. Shake off the excess.
- Lay the thinly sliced chicken pieces in the air fryer basket. Mist one side with oil.
- Cook the chicken for approximately 10-12 minutes in total. Flip after 6 minutes, spritz with olive oil again, and then continue cooking for 4-6 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 160F.
- Remove the chicken and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
why does the recipe have two two kinds of breadcrumbs? The regular breadcrumbs help the coating to stick, the panko makes them extra crunchy.
An egg wash does a better job of getting the crumbs to stick to the chicken so please don't brush the chicken with olive oil and then dip in bread crumbs, an egg wash works much better!
If you buy precut cutlets, or thinly sliced chicken breasts as they're often called, they can vary in size, even within the same package. The thicker or larger cutlets might need to cook a tad longer.
Change up the seasoning to any flavor you prefer like chicken rub, taco seasoning, garlic salt and pepper, McCormicks, or any store-bought seasoning you love.
The recipe can be made gluten-free or low carb by using gluten-free or low carb bread crumbs instead.
All air fryers cook a little differently, check the temperature a couple of minutes before the cooking time suggests in case you have a model that cooks faster. The chicken is done once the internal temperature reaches 160F.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Powlaken Meat Food Thermometer for Grill and Cooking, Instant Read Waterproof Digital Kitchen Thermometer Probe for Grilling Smoker Oil Deep Fry Candy(Black)
Olive Oil Sprayer for Cooking, Oil Spray Bottle Versatile Glass for Cooking, Baking, Roasting, Grilling
COSORI 5.8 QT Electric Hot Oven Oilless Cooker LED Touch Digital Screen with 11 Presets, Preheat and Shake Reminder, Nonstick Basket, Black, 5.8QT