Quick and easy, these air fryer chicken fajitas are the perfect weeknight dinner! We are starting with thin slices of chicken, adding in some bell peppers and red onions, and topping it all off with some spicy seasoning. Then it's just 15-minutes until your air fryer fajitas are done and your dinner is a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Chicken Fajitas in Air Fryer
It's no secret that in our home we love Mexican-inspired food. Whether it's tacos, fajitas, enchiladas, or something else entirely, we are always ready to dig out the spicy seasoning and add some lime and avocado.
So it was no surprise when these air fryer chicken fajitas were disappearing as fast as we could cook a batch!
Traditionally, your air fryer fajita meat and peppers will be served on a tortilla with sour cream, lime, and even some avocado and salsa. However, you can also serve your chicken fajita mix with a veggie wrap, low-carb tortilla option, or even over a bed of salad greens.
Why You'll Love This!
- Needing just 15-minutes in the air fryer, our air fryer chicken fajitas recipe is quick and easy, yet it's bursting with all of the Mexican-flavor you would expect.
- Season your air fryer fajitas with either fajita seasoning or taco seasoning.
- Our chicken fajitas in air fryer recipe is perfect for anyone who is looking to follow gluten-free, dairy-free, low-carb, keto, and even sugar-free lifestyles!
- Customize your air fryer chicken fajitas by swapping out peppers, onions, and toppings based on your own personal preferences.
Not only do we love Mexican-inspired foods in our home, but we also love using our air fryer to cook them up! Be sure to check out our air fryer frozen burrito, air fryer frozen jalapeño poppers, and taquitos in air fryer.
On Keto? Grab our FREE keto foods list here OR Snag our Keto Binder HERE
Fresh is always best, and for your air fryer chicken fajitas, this is no exception. Be sure to look for bell peppers and onions that are at the peak of freshness, and use quality chicken breast.
- chicken breast - thinly sliced into strips
- bell peppers - we prefer different colors such as green, red, orange, or yellow
- red onion
- olive oil
- fajita seasoning or taco seasoning - storebought or homemade
- Bell Peppers - Frozen bell peppers can be used in place of fresh.
- Chicken - For variety, you can make beef fajtias with thinly sliced beef strips instead of beef. To make shrimp fajitas, add the raw fresh shrimp in the last couple minutes of cooking and air fry until the shrimp is no longer pink and just cooked through.
An Air Fryer- We have a Cosori XL basket style air fryer, an Omni Plus oven style air fryer, and a small 3.2L Farberware basket style air fryer. The Cosori was used in this recipe.
- Vegan- Use sliced portabella mushrooms in place of chicken for a vegan option.
- Low-Carb/Keto - Be sure to watch the carb count of any storebought seasonings, toppings, and wraps you use.
Step by Step Instructions
Your air fryer chicken fajitas are just a few simple steps away! We are going to slice everything, season it all, then let the air fryer cook up a perfect dinner in just 15 minutes.
Preheat air fryer to 370F.
Thinly slice the chicken breast meat into bite-sized strips.
Slice the bell peppers and onion.
In a medium-sized bowl, add the chicken breast strips, bell peppers, onion, olive oil, and fajita (or taco) seasoning. Combine together.
Air Fryer Temp & Cooking Time
Evenly spread the prepared chicken and vegetables in the bottom of the air fryer basket and place it in the 370F preheated air fryer unit.
The total cook time of your air fryer chicken fajitas is 14-16 minutes, but you will need to stir every 5-minutes to ensure even cooking of your chicken, peppers, and onions.
Serve with sour cream, salsa, and tortillas. Enjoy!
- For even cooking, be sure to slice your chicken strips as evenly as possible.
- Preheating your air fryer ensures it is ready to start cooking as soon as you place your chicken fajita mixure inside.
- Stiring your fajita mix every 5-minutes allows your chicken to cook evenly and the peppers and onions to soften fully.
- You can cut back on the oil if preferred to make it even lower in fat.
Generally, we serve up a dish like fajitas as the main course, with plenty of options for toppings including salsa, sour cream, cheese, and avocado. However, you can toss in some chips to go with that salsa for a quick appetizer or add a side salad or Mexican street corn salad.
If you have any leftover air fryer chicken fajita mix, store it in an air-tight container in the fridge and use it within 4 days.
Yes! Use fajita or taco seasoning without sugar and skip the tortillas or use keto-friendly tortillas.
More Air Fryer Mexican Recipes
Looking for more air fryer Mexican recipes?-if that's a category on the site link to it (pick 1 topic like keto, chicken, crockpot)-pull from most recent posts as much as possible, add links too.
Come connect with us on Instagram! Be sure to tag us (wholelotta.yum) when you make a recipe. You can also find us on Facebook, and Pinterest.
So delicious! Chicken very tender, and veggies a perfect tender-crisp texture that we like. We topped with olives and salsa. Husband had his on tortillas and I had mine with rice (to be gluten free.) This will be my preferred way to make fajitas from now on!