Stuffed with string cheese, and baked in marinara sauce, our stuffed Italian sausage recipe is the quick and easy dinner recipe that dreams are made of! Needing just 5-minutes of prep-time, and then 30-minutes in the oven, our cheese stuffed sausages are the best way to enjoy a WHOLE LOTTA YUM dinner that is bursting with flavor and sure to satisfy.
Stuffed Sausages Recipe
Not too spicy, and not too sweet, the Italian sausage is the Goldilocks of the sausage world. Topped with marinara sauce and stuffed with mozzarella cheese, our stuffed Italian sausages dish takes the savory up a notch to help you create a dinner that is pleasing to everyone you serve it to.
Really. We ate the whole pan and then wished there was more.
Not only will your whole family love our stuffed sausage with string cheese recipe, but you are also going to love all of the different ways you can serve it!
Keep things simple when you let stuffed Italian sausage be the complete meal it is, serve your fully cooked cheese-stuffed Italian sausage inside a bun or hoagie roll, or incorporate a side of peppers and onions for an authentic sausage and peppers option. Truly the only wrong way to serve our stuffed sausage recipe is to not serve it at all.
No matter what cooking method you prefer, we have an Italian sausage recipe for you! Be sure to check out some of our favorites including crock pot Italian sausage, Italian sausage bake, sausage in air fryer , or our Italian sausage in oven recipe.
Why You'll Love This!
- With a 5-minute prep, our stuffed Italian sausage recipe is ready to go in the oven even before the oven is preheated!
- Stuffed with mozarella and bathed in marinara, this stuffed sausage bake is a complete meal by itself that is hearty, flavorful, and sure to be loved by all.
- Always looking out for your healthy eating lifestyle, our stuffed sausage with string cheese bake is low-carb, keto, and gluten-free.
- Keep things super simple with the 3 basic ingredients, or get adventurous by customizing your stuffed Italian sausage dish with vegetables or sides.
On Keto? Grab our FREE keto foods list here OR Snag our Keto Binder HERE
With just 3 ingredients, it's super simple to get yourself ready to make this keto stuffed Italian sausage dinner for your family.
- mild Italian sausage links - raw, they usually come in a 5 pack at the grocery store.
- marinara sauce - Rao's is our favorite since it's sugar free and literally tastes like homemade marinara sauce.
- string cheeses - or mozzarella cheese sticks
- optional - Italian seasoning, fresh basil, parmesan cheese
- This recipe will work with any uncooked sausage whether it's mild Italian, sweet Italian, spicy/hot Italian, or even raw bratwurst.
- To add vegetables to the recipe, use a larger baking sheet or 9x13" pan and mix in seasoned broccoli, onion slices, peppers, zucchini, or mushrooms.
Step by Step Instructions
Dinner won't get much easier than stuffing Italian sausage with string cheese, coating it in marinara, and baking until it's cooked through and delicious.
Preheat an oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and position the oven rack to the center.
Carefully cut the Italian sausage links lengthwise, making sure to only cut about halfway down into the sausage.
Insert a piece of string cheese into each sausage and then pinch the top of the raw sausage closed over the top of the cheese.
Place the stuffed sausages into the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish.
Drizzle the cup of marinara sauce over the top of the sausages.
Bake the stuffed sausage recipe for 30+ minutes or until the sausages are cooked through and reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit
- Be sure to not cut your Italian sausage links all the way through or the cheese will seep out the bottom.
- Pinching the top of the sausage link helps keep the mozzarella cheese inside the sausage.
- We used Trader Joes Italian sausage links in the recipe but any brand will work, however, if yours are larger in size they could take longer to cook.
- For best results we do recommend using a digital thermometer to check for an internal temperature of 160F.
- If you're following a keto or low carb diet, using a sugar-free marinara like Rao's is recommended.
Stuffed Italian sausages can be served a plethora of ways. You can opt to keep your dinner super simple and serve this stuffed sausage recipe as-is. You could serve this cheese-stuffed Italian sausage inside a bun or hoagie roll. Or you could incorporate a side of peppers and onions for an authentic sausage and peppers option.
Store any leftover stuffed Italian sausage links you may have for up to 4 days in the fridge in a covered container.
If you need to cook 10 links rather than 5, you can easily double the cheese and marinara sauce and use a 9x13 pan! Your baking time should still be the same.
More Italian Sausage Recipes
Looking for more sausage recipes?
- Italian Sausage Bake
- Air Fryer Italian Sausage
- Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Cooking Italian Sausage in the Oven
- Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
- How to Cook Italian Sausages on the Stove
- Boiled Sausage
Come connect with us on Instagram! Be sure to tag us (wholelotta.yum) when you make a recipe. You can also find us on Facebook, and Pinterest.
Casing? Do I leave the susauge casing on or remove it when I cut it to put the cheese inside.
Leave the casing on! You can cut right through it with a sharp knife. Jen
I tried this recipe tonight. I didn’t have marinara on hand so made my own with petite diced tomatoes, 3 T tomato paste, 1/3 c. water, diced onion, 4 chopped garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, 1scant t. baking soda. Big hit! Will be a regular here.
Kelly Myers says
Absolutely fantastic! I’m on keto and get tired of eating the same thing over and over. This hit the spot!