Baking Italian sausage in the oven is the best way to enjoy a quick dinner that is filled with flavor. We used a mild Italian sausage and pair them with colorful bell peppers and onion and drizzle with balsamic vinegar to create an easy dinner in under 30-minutes that is a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Baking Italian Sausage
Italian sausage in the oven with roasted vegetables is a super quick dinner that can be easily customized based on what flavors your family loves!
We are a sausage loving family for sure, cooking pork or chicken sausages is seriously one of our family favorites and something that we eat 1-2 times per week. It’s also a great dinner option for the kids to help make, or if you have older kids, they can make the entire dish.
Why You’ll Love This Sausage & Peppers Recipe
- Sausage & peppers is a super quick dinner with just a few minutes of prep-work. After that, your oven does the heavy lifting while you get to take all the credit!
- Easily swap out peppers based on what is in season or your family’s preferences.
- Serve your baked Italian sausages as-is for a simple low-carb meal or add to your preferred sub roll for a classic favorite.
- Keto, low carb, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
- Italian sausage – use raw sausages that are called mild Italian, sweet Italian, or use spicy Italian for a little bit of kick.
- Bell pepper – any color will work or use a variety of colors
- Red onion – swap with a yellow onion or sweet onion if that’s what you have on hand
- Olive oil
- Garlic salt
- Italian seasoning
- Balsamic vinegar
Sausage – Feel free to opt for either pork or chicken Italian sausage.
Step by Step Instructions
Italian sausages in the oven, baked with peppers and onions, is a quick and simple dinner you whole family will love. Let’s get a few minutes of prepwork done and get to baking Italian sausage!
Preheat your oven to 400F.
Slice 2 bell peppers and 1/2 of a large red onion.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine your sliced peppers and onion with 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp garlic salt, and 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning. Stir to combine.
Place your Italian sausages in a baking dish and spread the veggie mixture in the pan.
Drizzle 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar over the top of the entire pan.
Place the entire dish in your pre-heated oven and bake for 15-minutes total, flipping the Italian sausages and stirring the vegetables after 10 minutes, until your sausages reach an internal temperature of 165F.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Looking to get your Italian sausages in the oven perfect the first time? We’ve got you covered!
- If using sausages that were previously frozen, be sure they are fully thawed before baking.
- Don’t overcrowd your baking dish or you will slow down the cook-time.
- If you need your sausages cooked in less time, omit the vegetables since it cooks faster without them.
- You can easily double this recipe to feed a larger crowd, but be sure you use a larger pan to accommodate.
- This same method works for any type of uncooked sausage.
Serve your baked Italian sausages alongside roasted radishes, baked zucchini and squash, or cauliflower mac and cheese to keep the meal low-carb friendly.
If you or your guests are not concerned about carbs, feel free to serve your baked Italian sausages in sub rolls or alongside mustard potato salad.
Yes, you can bake frozen Italian sausages in the oven. Place the sausages on a pan and bake covered with foil for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, removed the foil, add the seasoned vegetables and balsamic vinegar, and continue baking. Be sure to flip the sausages and stir the vegetables after 10 minutes.
If you want to really crisp up your sausage and vegetables, broil your dish for the last 2-3 minutes of cook-time.
More Sausage Recipes
Looking for more Sausage recipes?
- Crockpot Sausage and peppers
- Air fryer Italian Sausage
- Instant pot sausage and peppers
- Cooking brats in the oven
- 1 package Italian sausage, uncooked
- 2 bell peppers
- 1/2 large red onion
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400F and put the baking rack in the middle position.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the peppers, onions, olive oil, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar and combine.
- Lay the sausage on the baking sheet, add place the pepper onion mix around it.
- Bake the sausage and peppers for 10 minutes, flip the sausage and stir the pepper onion mix.
- Continue cooking until the sausages are browned and the peppers are cooked through, which took about 25 minutes. The internal temperature of the sausage should be at least 165F.
We used aged balsamic vinegar from Trader Joes which is a little thicker than regular, but regular works totally fine too.
If you're wanting to make plain baked Italian sausages without the peppers, they only take about 15 minutes to bake. Adding peppers or vegetables to the pan increases the cooking time.
Italian sausages are technically done at 165F but stay juicy up until 190F.
Either uncooked sweet Italian sausage, mild, or spicy sausage, or uncooked chicken Italian works for this recipe.
We used about 1 lb of quick-cooking veggies, feel free to swap for others that cook fast.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 322Total Fat 19gCholesterol 11mgSodium 340mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 4g