Baking Italian sausage in the oven is the best way to enjoy a quick dinner that is filled with flavor. We used a mild Italian sausage and pair them with colorful bell peppers and onion and drizzle with balsamic vinegar to create an easy dinner in under 30-minutes that is a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Baking Italian Sausage
Italian sausage in the oven with roasted vegetables is a super quick dinner that can be easily customized based on what flavors your family loves!
We are a sausage-loving family for sure. Cooking pork or chicken sausages is seriously one of our family favorites and something that we eat 1-2 times per week. It's also a great dinner option for the kids to help make, or if you have older kids, they can make the entire dish.
Why You'll Love This Sausage & Peppers Recipe
- Cooking sausage & peppers is a super quick dinner with just a few minutes of prep-work. After that, your oven does the heavy lifting while you get to take all the credit!
- Easily swap out peppers based on what is in season or your family's preferences.
- Serve your baked Italian sausages as-is for a simple low-carb meal or add to your preferred sub roll for a classic favorite.
- Cook sausage in the oven when you want to serve a crowd, it's easy to double or triple and use multiple sheet pans.
- Keto, low carb, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
If sausage recipes are your favorite we have you covered with beer boiled brats, creamy kielbasa and sauerkraut, and instant pot sausage and peppers!
On Keto? Grab our FREE keto foods list here OR Snag our Keto Binder HERE
- Italian sausage - use raw sausages that are called mild Italian, sweet Italian, or use spicy Italian for a little bit of kick.
- Bell pepper - any color will work or use a variety of colors
- Red onion - swap with a yellow onion or sweet onion if that's what you have on hand
- Olive oil
- Garlic salt
- Italian seasoning
- Balsamic vinegar
Sausage - Feel free to opt for either pork or chicken Italian sausage.
Step by Step Instructions
Italian sausages in the oven baked with peppers and onions is a quick and simple dinner your whole family will love. Let's get a few minutes of prep work done and get to baking Italian sausage!
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Slice 2 bell peppers and ½ of a large red onion.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine your sliced peppers and onion with 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon garlic salt, and ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning. Stir to combine.
Place your Italian sausages in a baking dish like a sheet pan covered with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spread the veggie mixture in the pan.
Drizzle 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar over the top of the entire pan.
Place the entire dish in your pre-heated oven and bake for 15-minutes+, flipping the Italian sausages and stirring the vegetables after 10 minutes, until your sausages reach an internal temperature of 165F.
If you prefer to cook Italian sausage longer to get them darker in color, sausage can continue cooking up to 185-190 degrees Fahrenheit without starting to dry out, but they're technically cooked through with an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Looking to get your Italian sausages in the oven perfect the first time? We've got you covered!
- If using sausages that were previously frozen, be sure they are fully thawed before baking.
- Don't overcrowd your baking dish or you will slow down the cook-time and they won't brown as well.
- If you need your sausages cooked in less time, omit the vegetables since it cooks faster without them.
- You can easily double this recipe to feed a larger crowd, but be sure you use a larger pan to accommodate.
- This same method works for any type of uncooked sausage or sausage links.
Serve your baked Italian sausages alongside roasted radishes, baked zucchini and squash, or cauliflower mac and cheese to keep the meal low-carb friendly.
If you or your guests are not concerned about carbs, feel free to serve your baked Italian sausages in sub rolls or alongside mustard potato salad.
Yes, you can bake frozen Italian sausages in the oven. Place the sausages on a pan and bake covered with foil for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, removed the foil, add the seasoned vegetables and balsamic vinegar, and continue baking. Be sure to flip the sausages and stir the vegetables after 10 minutes.
If you want to really crisp up your sausage and vegetables, broil your dish for the last 2-3 minutes of cook-time.
Baked sausages in the oven only take about 15 minutes to cook through, the best way to check for doneness is with a digital thermometer. While Italian sausage is technically cooked through once it reaches 165 F, it often isn't as brown as many people would prefer at that point. Sausage holds its juices and moisture up until about 185- 190 degrees Fahrenheit, so you can continue browning them in an oven, a skillet, the grill, or the broiler until they're browned to your liking beyond 165 degrees.
If you're cooking baked Italian sausage, setting the oven to 375-400 degrees Fahrenheit is the perfect cooking temperature.
Italian sausage is cooked through once it reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
A little pink in sausage is perfectly fine as long as the internal temperature of the cooked sausage is over 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Testing the sausage temperature with a digital thermometer is suggested.
More Sausage Recipes
Looking for more Sausage recipes?
- Crockpot Sausage and peppers
- Air fryer Italian Sausage
- Instant pot sausage and peppers
- Cooking brats in the oven
Come connect with us on Instagram! Be sure to tag us (wholelotta.yum) when you make a recipe. You can also find us on Facebook, and Pinterest.
Leave a Reply