Our chicken green chili casserole is the ultimate comfort food recipe when you need something quick and easy for your family dinner! We are combining savory green salsa, two different types of cheese, and shredded chicken to make the best green chili chicken casserole in under 30-minutes! Your dinner is about to be a whole lot of flavorful and a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Green Chili Chicken Casserole
I've been obsessed with whipping up easy casseroles lately, just last week I made a keto taco casserole, which was amazing! And now this week I used the same process and turned it into a green chili casserole with chicken.
If you're wondering which one tastes better, I'm going to call it a tie! My son devoured the chicken green chili casserole and declared it the winner. I'm always in love with anything that has green chilis and white cheese and could it that combo constantly. My husband preferred the keto taco casserole just "slightly" better but said both recipes were winners.
Either way, our home has some happy boys who are enjoying healthy foods without feeling like they are missing out. And while a casserole is easily a one-pan dinner, we do tend to serve them with salads or charcuterie plates as an appetizer. You could also serve your chicken green chili casserole over a bed of cauliflower rice.
Why You'll Love This!
- Our green chili casserole with chicken needs just 5 ingredients and only 30-minutes of your time making it one of the easiest weeknight casseroles!
- Taco seasoning, green salsa, and diced green chilis combine in your chicken green chili casserole to give your chicken and cheese its robust flavor.
- If you are on a restricted health plan, or simply looking to eat a little healthier, you'll be happy to know that our chicken and green chili casserole is low-carb, keto-friendly, and gluten-free!
We love our keto chicken casseroles to help make dinner quick and easy, flavorful, and compliant with our healthy lifestyle. Be sure to try our green chicken enchilada bake, keto chicken divan, and low-carb salsa chicken the next time you need a quick, easy, and healthy dinner for your table.
This low-carb and keto chicken green chili casserole will definitely become one you make over and over. Here's a list of ingredients you'll need:
- shredded or ground chicken - precooked or rotisserie
- keto taco seasoning - homemade or storebought
- green salsa - the chunkier the better
- diced green chili’s
- cottage cheese - use full-fat, low carb brand
- Colby jack or 3 cheese blend - sliced or shredded from a block
- optional toppings - sour cream, avocado, green onion
- Our green chili chicken casserole is intended to be compliant with low-carb and keto lifestyles; however, carbs can be hidden in many places. Be sure your taco seasoning is a low-carb version (or make a sugar-free taco seasoning using our 5-minute recipe). Also, watch for added sugars in your salsa. Hidden carbs in dairy will often be found in low-fat varieties and pre-shredded cheese.
Step by Step Instructions
The key to making your chicken green chili casserole in under 30-minutes it to start with pre-cooked chicken, then combine that with the seasoning, salsa, and cottage cheese before you top it with even more cheese and bake it in the oven.
Don't have pre-cooked chicken? No worries. We have a fantastic recipe for precooked chicken right here.
Preheat oven to 375. Make sure your oven rack is in the middle of the oven.
In a medium-sized bowl, add the taco seasoning, salsa, green chilis, and cottage cheese (drained). Mix in the precooked and shredded chicken and stir until it's all mixed and combined evenly.
Spray an 11x7 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Spoon the prepared chicken mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Top the casserole with the sliced or shredded cheese.
Bake for 20-minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
Garnish with green onions, if desired.
Serve with sour cream and salsa, optional.
- The key to your 30-minutes green chili chicken casserole is to start with pre-cooked chicken from the grocery store or home. Cooking chicken on the stovetop would be the fastest method, I actually used an instant pot to make shredded chicken from frozen for this recipe.
- Instant pot chicken takes about the same time as roasting chicken to use for shredding (if you're starting with frozen chicken like I did), but what I love about the instant pot is I can put it in and walk away, plus it doesn't heat up my kitchen as the stovetop and oven do.
- You'll want 2 lbs of raw chicken for the recipe if you're cooking the chicken first. If you're using rotisserie chicken, it'll lose about 25% of its weight and you'll want to use 1.5 lb of pre-cooked chicken.
- Be sure to drain the cottage cheese before cooking with it to prevent your chicken green chili casserole from being overly liquidy.
- Using a chunkier salsa instead of a runnier salsa is also recommended. A salsa with more liquid may leave a little liquid in the bottom of the casserole after cooking.
- If you prefer your cheese crisp, broil after baking for 1-2 minutes.
Story any leftover chili chicken casserole in the fridge in a covered container. You can store leftovers for 4-5 days.
We do not recommend freezing green chili chicken casserole due to the dairy. Dairy does not defrost well.
More Chicken Casserole Recipes
Looking for more chicken casserole recipes?
- 2 lb shredded chicken, cooked
- 3 T taco seasoning
- ¾ cup chili Verde salsa
- 1 4 oz can of mild green chilis, drained
- 16 oz cottage cheese
- 5 oz sliced or shredded Colby jack or Mexican blend cheese
- Sour cream, optional
- Green onions, optional
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the taco seasoning, salsa, green chilis and cottage cheese.
- Mix in the shredded chicken and blend well.
- Spray your baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spoon mixture into an 11x7 baking dish.
- Top the casserole with the sliced or shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Garnish with green onions, if desired.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa, optional.
We pre-cooked our chicken right before making the casserole, so the chicken was still warm, If you're starting with cold pre-cooked chicken, you may need to cook the casserole a little longer.
Be sure to drain the cottage cheese or it'll make your casserole runny!!
Using regular cottage cheese instead of light is recommended, light cottage cheese will add more liquid to the mixture
Using a chunkier salsa instead of a runnier salsa is also recommended. A salsa with more liquid may leave a little liquid in the bottom of the casserole after cooking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 399Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 125mgSodium 859mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 44g