Poor cabbage. It's a vegetable that people love to hate. I'm not sure why, since it's super versatile and seriously healthy. Plus, when you can create a fabulous dish, like our cabbage in Instant Pot recipe, what not to love?! This pressure cooker cabbage recipe is a variation of the classic Irish fried cabbage and bacon dish, is ready in under 30-mintues, and is a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Pressure Cooker Cabbage
As I type this up, my husband and I are ironing out the details for our trip to Ireland! Needless to say, I have all-things-Irish on my mind.
So while I contemplate the rolling greens of Ireland, I also dream of trying some authentic Irish food. However, while I am still state-side, I do want to keep to our low-carb and keto eating plans.
Plus, I totally love my Instant Pot!
It didn't take me long to contemplate all the ways I could adapt such a traditional meal as cabbage and bacon to fit. And my husband was all kinds of OK with taste-testing as I tweaked this cabbage in instant pot recipe to balance taste, flavor, and carbs. 😉
Pressure cooker cabbage and bacon was designed to work with a wide variety of eating plans. It's gluten-free and dairy-free, low-carb, paleo, keto, and even Whole 30 (just be sure your bacon doesn't have any added sugars).
Versatile, quick to prepare, and perfect as either a man or side dish, our cabbage in instant pot recipe is one you didn't even know you were missing.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Quick. Easy. And flavor-FULL! Saute some bacon, add in some cabbage, and pressure cook for just 4 minutes!
- Lunch. Dinner. Or a side... You choose! Either way, you cannot go wrong with cabbage and bacon.
- Our cabbage in instant pot recipe is the perfect blend of healthy eating and comforting classics.
If you love this cabbage in instant pot recipe, be sure to check out our other cabbage recipes such as low-carb sausage and sauerkraut, keto egg roll in a bowl, crockpot cabbage, and crockpot brats and sauerkraut.
On Keto? Grab our FREE keto foods list here OR Snag our Keto Binder HERE
For this Instant Pot cabbage and bacon, you do have some decisions to make before you start. A whole head of cabbage or shredded? Bacon or no? Big onion slices or small?
That's pretty much it. 😉
- cabbage - shredded or quartered
- yellow onion - sliced
- bacon - pre-cooked
- bacon grease - or butter
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- chicken broth
Bacon - some amazing substitutions for bacon include sausage, kielbasa, or ham cubes
A Pressure Cooker - This is the Instant Pot model that we used.
- Vegetarian - to make your cabbage in instant pot recipe vegetarian, omit the bacon and bacon grease (use oil instead), and use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth.
Step By Step Instructions
After a quick saute, we are going to let your pressure cooker do all the work for this cabbage in instant pot recipe.
Begin by chopping your onions and either quartering or shredding your cabbage (unless you purchased pre-chopped cabbage).
Saute bacon in your instant pot and save 1 tablespoon of the grease or bake it in the oven.
Turn the pressure cooker to Saute high. Once heated, add the bacon grease (or the butter).
Add the sliced onion to the pot and saute it in the grease until cooked through and soft. This should take about 6-7 minutes.
Press the Cancel button to stop the Saute function.
Add in the chicken broth, 4 slices of crumbled bacon, salt, and pepper.
Fill the instant pot with sliced cabbage sections or shredded cabbage. You can add cabbage all the way up to the top of the pot. Be sure not to pack it in, but loosely adding the cabbage to the top of the pot is just fine.
Put the lid on the pressure cooker.
Set the pot to Pressure Cook (or Manual) High for 4 minutes.
Once the pot is done pressure cooking, let the instant pot cabbage natural release for 5 minutes before doing a quick release of the remaining pressure.
Stir all ingredients together and serve.
Add additional bacon as a garnish, if desired. Season to taste.
Serves 8 side dish portions.
- For best flavor, saute your onions in bacon grease.
- If you are pressed for time, you can easily omit the bacon. Simply saute your onions, add your cabbage, and cook. Perfect for those times you simply want a cabbage side.
- Shredded cabbage will pressure cook in just 4 minutes. However, if you are using cabbage quarters you are going to want to increase your cook time to 5 minutes.
- This dish reheats well, so don't be afraid of making a large batch and eating leftovers.
Stored in the fridge in an airtight container, your cabbage instant pot recipe will last 2-3 days.
While instant pot cabbage can be a main dish, many people opt to serve it as a side dish. Ham, kielbasa, and pork all pair well with cabbage dishes.
Yes! Allow the cabbage to cool completely, then store your cooked cabbage and bacon for up to 3 months.
Other Recipes You'll Love
Looking for additional Instant Pot recipes?
- Instant Pot Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Instant Pot Country Style Ribs
- Instant Pot Brats
- Instant Pot Zuppa Toscano
Come connect with us on Instagram! Be sure to tag us (wholelotta.yum) when you make a recipe. You can also find us on Facebook, and Pinterest.
If you enjoyed this post, be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
And be sure to pin the recipe for later on Pinterest so you can easily get back to it!
V V V
Leave a Reply