These delicious air fryer hash browns (shredded) are buttery, crispy, easy, and perfect for breakfast. It takes less than 30 minutes to make air fryer shredded hash browns and they taste so good, you'd never know they came from frozen! It's a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Air Fryer Shredded Hash Browns
I'll be the first to admit, I'm undeniably a sucker for potatoes. They are the perfect starchy addition to almost any meal. More than just a side, potatoes are a long-reigning fan favorite among my family.
Serve your air fryer hashbrowns (shredded) with a side of delicious turkey bacon or breakfast sausage and some over-easy eggs. A classic balanced light and easy breakfast. Oh and don't forget the coffee, try our Starbucks pumpkin spice latte dupe here!
Why You'll Love This!
- BUTTER! I'm not kidding, EVERY other recipe I have seen for frozen hashbrowns recommends oil and I'm telling you, butter is WORTH the extra step. I personally tested numerous batches and nothing compares to the crispy yet soft perfection of hashbrowns cooked with butter.
- Eliminate the need to constantly check on your hashbrowns in a skillet while trying to cook other components of your breakfast. Just get them started in the Air Fryer and move on to the next item on your menu.
- With a cook time of fewer than 15 minutes, you can have breakfast done in no time!
- There is hardly any prep! Frozen hashbrowns make it SO easy and your air fryer makes them even easier!
You don't need a whole lot for this recipe to get a Whole Lotta Yum!
- Frozen Shredded Hash Browns- any brand will do!
- Salted Butter- Olive oil or avocado oil are also good options if necessary. But I highly recommend salted butter for the best results. You can also opt to use a spray version of one of these oils, just be sure to spray your hashbrowns generously to properly coat them. Some bloggers say you can make these with no oil or butter, and honestly, this is not a recipe I recommend doing that for. You're going to end up with dry crisps if you omit butter or an oil substitute.
- Seasoning - The world is your oyster! My go-to seasoning is sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder; however, a seasoning salt works great as well, or you can think out of the box and season with your favorite seasonings.
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
Step by Step Instructions
With minimal prep, you can have these delicious air fryer hash browns (shredded) ready in under 20 minutes!
Preheat the air fryer to 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 minutes.
Melt butter. You can do this by microwaving it in small increments or by melting it in a skillet/pan.
Using a large bowl pour in hashbrowns and melted butter. Immediately toss or stir frozen shredded hashbrowns with melted butter until well coated.
Pour the buttered hashbrowns into a medium thick layer in preheated air fryer basket. If your hashbrowns layer is too thin, they will dry out. You can multiply the recipe or stack your hashbrowns on one side of the air fryer to thicken your layer before cooking.
Cook the shredded hash browns on 370 F for 10 minutes.
Flip and stir your hash browns and pat back down gently with your spatula. (If you are using spray cooking oil, spray your hashbrowns again after this step.)
Cook your hash browns on 370 F for an additional 3-5 minutes depending on desired crispiness.
Season immediately after cooking. Enjoy!
- This recipe is based on using frozen shredded hash browns. Cook times will vary if you're using hash brown patties, potatoes O'Brien, or fresh hash browns.
- Inevitably you will have some of your shredded hash browns fall through the holes in the air fryer basket. Try to be careful when you flip/stir your hashbrowns and don't worry if a couple of pieces fall through.
- I've said it a few times, but BUTTER truly is the secret ingredient in this recipe. I don't recommend omitting it. If you choose to use oil, be GENEROUS with the amount for the best results.
- Keep in mind when using salted butter that you may not need to add as much seasoning salt as you would when using oil.
Shredded hashbrowns pair well with any breakfast food! The classic pairing is over easy eggs and bacon. But you can also serve it with hardboiled eggs, fresh fruit, or sausage. Air fryer frozen shredded hash browns are also a great addition to any omelet.
You don't have to, but I HIGHLY recommend you do on this one. It is so easy for hashbrowns to dry out and become more like crispy chips. You can also use oil as an alternative, but the flavor and end result is much more desirable when using butter.
Usually, you want to flip air fryer hash browns (shredded) once they have had a chance to become a crisp golden brown on the bottom side. However, when cooking in the air fryer I recommend giving them a bit of a stir to make sure they cook evenly and don't dry out.
More Air Fryer Potato Recipes
Looking for more easy air fryer recipes? Check out some of our recent posts!