Making breakfast sausage links in an air fryer means that you can have a hearty protein-based breakfast in the morning without any hassle. Just pop your breakfast sausage in the air fryer and walk away to do other tasks.
Sausage Links in Air Fryer (Breakfast Sausage)
If you've ever wondered if you can even cook sausage links in an air fryer, you'll be pleased to know that air fried breakfast sausage is fast, easy, hands-free, and delicious!
No need to even flip your air fryer breakfast sausage, you can truly put it in the air fryer basket and then walk away until the timer goes off. Air frying sausage means no more standing over a skillet or having to save sausage for the weekends.
Why You'll Love This Air Fryer Breakfast Sausage!
- You can put the sausage in and walk away
- There's no need to flip the sausages since they brown on both sides
- Breakfast is done in less than 15 mins!
- This method works for pork, chicken, or even frozen sausages
Ingredients for Air Fryer Breakfast Sausage Links
Just one ingredient is needed for making air fryer breakfast sausage links, and you guessed it:
- 1 package breakfast sausage (12 oz)
Johnsonville breakfast sausage- One of our go-to breakfast sausage brands is Johnsonville, Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage is another popular choice. You can even cook chicken sausage links in an air fryer the same way as the pork variety, our favorite brand here is the Trader Joe's chicken sausage links.
And since sausage already naturally has fat, you don't even need to spray the pan with cooking spray. This is truly just a one-ingredient dish.
Cooking Sausage Links in Air Fryer
Preheat the air fryer for 3-5 minutes on 400F.
Lay the breakfast sausage links in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Since the sausage is a high-fat food, you'll want to make sure your fryer is clean on the inside, or else you could end up with the dreaded white smoke problem when the grease hits the bottom of the fryer.
How long to cook breakfast sausage in air fryer?
Cook the sausage at 400 F for a total of 8-10 minutes, until they're browned to your liking. We took ours out after 9 minutes.
While many recipes will ask you to flip the item oven halfway through cooking, because sausages are small they still get browned on both sides because of the circulating air. Meaning, no flipping required!
We love that you can keep getting ready and doing other things in the morning and don’t have to stand over the stove to cook.
Air fryer sausage takes less time than an oven or stovetop, which takes up to 15 mins to cook. Cooking link sausage in an oven takes much longer than the air fryer since it takes at least 10-15 minutes to even heat up.
Enjoy! Makes 10 air fryer sausage links.
Recipe Tips for Breakfast Sausage in Air Fryer
- If you have a basket style air fryer and aren't able to spread out your sausage with breathing room on all sides, then we recommend you flip your sausages after 5 minutes.
- Make sure to allow space between the sausages so they'll brown evenly
- Air fryer models vary and can cook slower or faster than other brands. Keep a close eye on the air fryer sausage recipe the first time you go to make it.
FAQ's for Air Fryer Breakfast Sausage
That all depends on the model you own. One package should fit in a smaller air fryer and two packages should fit in a larger air fryer like our Omni Plus toaster oven style.
And if you're making frozen sausage links in the air fryer, you'll want to follow the same instructions but add 5 minutes to the cooking time. After the first 5 minutes of cooking, break the frozen sausage apart and spread them out on the pan.
While our recipe is for raw breakfast sausage, if you have a precooked breakfast sausage that's fully cooked like Banquet brand, you won't need to air fry them as long. Air fryer the sausages at 400F for 5-6 minutes or till warmed through
While our air fryer breakfast sausage recipe uses Johnsonville sausage, Jimmy Dean brand is another popular choice that works great too. Just follow the recipe steps in the recipe card below!
What to Serve with Breakfast Sausage
Just a few ideas on what to serve with air fryer breakfast sausage!
- Toast or English muffins
- Scrambled or fried eggs or perhaps air fryer hard boiled eggs
- Hash browns or home fries
- Pancakes or waffles
- Fresh fruit or fruit salad
Storage and Reheating
- Store: store the cooked air fryer sausage in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- Freeze: You can freeze leftovers if you want them to last longer. Cooked sausages will last in the freezer for up to 3 months. Why not cook a bunch at one time, individually freeze them, and reheat a couple from frozen on busy mornings?
- Reheat: reheating leftovers is best done in your air fryer, of course! Just add the sausages to the air fryer and cook for 1-2 minutes until they're heated through to at least 160 F.
Air Fryer Sausage Recipes
- Air fryer brats
- Italian sausage in air fryer
- Air fryer frozen sausage
- Air fryer chicken sausage
- Air fryer sausage patties