Make an easy shaved Brussel sprouts salad with bacon and a homemade apple cider vinaigrette with a touch of Dijon. The perfect raw Brussel sprouts salad for the holidays! Low carb, keto, and gluten-free. It's a WHOLE LOTTA YUM!
Roasted sprouts have always been a family favorite and are basically our go-to dinner veggie of choice. Who knew these little mini cabbages are actually delicious when served raw too!
We created our shaved Brussel sprouts salad with the holidays in mind whether you're serving it for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or even Easter.
Serve the shaved Brussel sprouts salad with our baked turkey breast half and pureed butternut squash.
And if you're obsessed with Brussels sprouts like we are, be sure to try some of our other Brussel sprouts recipes like Brussel sprouts casserole and air fryer frozen Brussel sprouts.
We kept the ingredients and prep simple by purchasing shaved Brussel sprouts in a bag, plus we already had precooked bacon in the fridge. We're fans of using up what we had which is why we went with blue cheese for this recipe (it was already in our fridge). Other varieties would've worked great too!
We did find that even purchasing pre-shaved Brussel sprouts in a bag, some of the pieces seemed a little too large for salad so we sliced the large pieces down even further.
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- brussel sprouts (10 oz)
- blue cheese, crumbled
- roasted pecans
- apple cider vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- golden monk fruit or erythritol
- clove garlic, minced
- Dijon mustard
** Please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the exact quantities **
The raw Brussel sprouts salad as written is keto friendly, low carb, and gluten-free.
- Vegan- skip the bacon and use plant based cheese
- Whole30/Paleo- Skip the cheese and perhaps add unsweetened dried berries in it's place
- Make a roasted salad - Instead of a raw Brussel sprouts salad, saute or roast the veggies and proceed with the recipe using cooked or roasted Brussels sprouts.
- Add fruit - For a nice contrast, add a sweet touch of fresh or dried fruit. Great low carb ideas would be fresh blueberries or dried ones. Dried cranberries would also be terrific.
How to Make Raw Brussel Sprouts Salad
If you already have bacon on hand and purchase shaved Brussels sprouts, this entire recipe comes together in less than 15 minutes. Other than crumbling the cheese, you're dumping the ingredients in a bowl and making a quick and easy apple cider vinegar based dressing.
Make the Dressing
- In a small bowl combine the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, sweetener, garlic clove, and dijon mustard. Set it aside. We use monk fruit for no sugar/low carb, but you can use brown sugar or honey if you prefer.
Assemble the Salad
- If you didn't buy already shaved Brussel sprouts, shave the Brussels sprouts by finely hand slicing or using a food processor.
- In a salad bowl combine the shaved Brussels sprouts, crumbled bacon, crumbled blue cheese, and roasted pecan halves.
- When you're ready to serve the shaved Brussel sprouts salad, add the dressing to taste. Garnish with more pecans and blue cheese on top. Enjoy!
- If you want a recipe for cooking bacon, our favorite ways to cook it are in an air fryer for a small amount or in the oven for an entire pack. Skip this step if you have your own bacon recipe.
- It's easy to adapt this recipe to your personal preferences. Don't like blue cheese? Use shredded parmesan, crumbled feta, or a cubed white cheese like brie, Havarti, or white cheddar. It's also simple to use a different variety of low carb nuts like walnuts or sunflower seeds.
- For best consistency buy pecan halves or whole roasted pecans and then cut them into small pieces, if you purchase ground nuts they'll be a finer consistency than is ideal for a salad.
A shaved Brussel sprouts salad can really be served year round, they're perfect with roast chicken, turkey, pork chops, steak, or salmon. A hot side dish like mashed potatoes, pureed squash, or rice would be fantastic on the side if preferred.
Brussel sprouts with bacon salad will last up to 3-4 days in the fridge. You can make the salad a day in advance to help the flavors blend.
More Brussel Sprouts Recipes
- keto Brussel sprouts casserole
- Air fryer frozen Brussel sprouts
- Maple roasted butternut squash and Brussels sprouts
- Oven roasted Brussel sprouts
Come connect with us on Instagram! Be sure to tag us (wholelotta.yum) when you make a recipe. You can also find us on Facebook, and Pinterest.
Leave a Reply