An easy oven-roasted Brussel sprouts recipe that is a simple and healthy way to cook this savory side dish that even kids will love. They make a quick dish baked that only takes 20 minutes to cook!
A printable recipe card is at the bottom of the post
This post may include affiliate links, including links to Amazon products. Read the full disclosure here.
Brussel sprouts are nutrient-dense and are perfect for a low carb, paleo, dairy-free, keto, sugar-free, vegetarian or vegan diet. Unless you’re allergic to brussels sprouts, they’re the perfect food for just about anyone.
Broccoli and Brussel sprouts are the two most often eaten vegetables in our house, and roasting them is the only way to make them the BEST way you’ll ever taste in your life.
It’s hard to believe that the vegetable I hated the most when I was a child would become one of my favorites as an adult. Gone are the days of overcooked mushy boiled brussels sprouts!! Thank goodness ;)….. In current times, the best way to cook them is by making roasted Brussel sprouts in the oven. If this was your childhood too, you might be wondering how do you roast Brussel sprouts in the oven instead?
- 16 oz Brussel sprouts
- 1/2-3/4 tsp salt or garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
I love that there are so few ingredients in such a tasty and flavorful dish. We love garlic and add minced garlic whenever we can, which is why we suggest using either salt or garlic salt. Whatever your personal preference! You might want to start with 1/2 tsp of salt and after cooking if you want the Brussel sprouts a little saltier, then mix in another 1/4 tsp.
Supplies We Used
Our recipe for roasted Brussels sprouts is about as easy as it gets. Here are some ideas for other ingredients you ca add to change up the flavor. They’re totally optional of course! Our favorite way to cook sprouts is just with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Garlic powder
- Minced garlic
- Dried herbs – Italian seasoning, dried rosemary, basil, thyme
- Shredded Parmesan – add after you flip the Brussel sprouts
- Crumble cooked bacon over the top
How to Make Roasted Brussel Sprouts in Oven
Turn your oven to 375°F and make sure your oven rack is in the middle position.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside. You could technically use aluminum foil or no liner, but we love parchment for consistent cooking and easy clean-up.
If the brussels sprouts are really large, you can cut them in half so that they’ll cook a little quicker. The little Brussel sprout leaves that fall off when cutting them turn into some of the best little bits when they crisp up and turn into little “chips”. So make sure to throw those in your pan too and don’t discard them as a food scrap.
If the brussels sprouts are small, you can just leave them whole since little whole sprouts cook quickly on their own. As you can see in the photo, most of our brussels sprouts are cut in half but there is a handful that was really small, so we left them whole.
Spread the brussels sprouts evenly on the pan and drizzle them with the olive oil, sprinkle with the salt and pepper over the top.
You’re going to be flipping the brussels sprouts halfway through the cooking time, so I don’t bother to mix up the brussels sprouts with the oil and seasoning when I first put them in. I just drizzle and sprinkle everything over the top and it blends when I flip them during the cooking time.
Cook the Brussel sprouts in the oven for 15 minutes.
Technically, the oven-roasted Brussel sprouts are cooked after 15 minutes but if you eat them at this point they might still have their bitter taste. To get that delicious full caramelized flavor, you need to cook your brussels sprouts even longer. You’re looking for that sweet spot where they’re starting to brown and crisp up but not so long they get overly crisp.
It’s perfectly OK if you want to eat a baked brussel sprout at this point and see if they are done to your liking. I won’t tell anyone and this is what I eat too;) This is also why I’m often full before we even sit down to dinner since I want to make sure everything tastes as perfect as possible.
Personally, I like to cook the oven-roasted Brussel sprouts recipe just a little bit longer to bring out more of a caramelized flavor, if that’s what you want to do also know that at this point you’ll want to flip the brussels sprouts and put back in the oven.
Cook for 5-10 more minutes until the easy baked Brussel sprouts are done to your liking. For this particular batch in the post, I added an extra 10 minutes. So in total, the baking time for the oven-roasted Brussel sprouts recipe was 25 minutes.
Feel free to add more salt and pepper after cooking if desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Baked Brussel sprouts truly make the most simple oven-roasted Brussel sprouts recipe. I can just about guarantee this will become a family favorite of yours too.
More Brussel Sprout Recipes
Please post your feedback and comments below and we’d love to see your photo uploads on the Pinterest pin 🙂
- 16 oz brussel sprouts
- 1/2-3/4 tsp salt or garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 and put your oven rack in the middle position
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- Cut any large brussel sprouts in half, it's fine to leave small brussel sprouts whole
- Evenly spread the brussel sprouts on the baking sheet and drizzle the olive oil over the top of the vegetables
- Sprinkle with the salt and pepper
- Bake the brussel sprouts for 15 minutes. They'll technically be cooked at this point but to get the best caramelized flavor, they'll need to cook a little longer.
- Flip the brussel sprouts and cook for 5-10 minutes longer until they pierce easily with . fork and they're starting to turn golden brown.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Reynolds Kitchens Parchment Paper Roll with SmartGrid - 3 Boxes of 50 Square Feet (150 Square Feet Total)
- Bellemain Heavy Duty Aluminum Half Sheet Pan, 18" x 13" x 1"
- M KITCHEN WORLD Heat Resistant Silicone Spatulas Set - Rubber Spatula Kitchen Utensils Non-Stick for Cooking, Baking and Mixing - Ergonomic, Dishwasher Safe Bakeware Set of 4, Orange