Oven-roasted radishes are mellow, a little sweet, soft on the inside, yet crispy on the outside. They make a unique side dish for any dinner and can be a wonderful substitute for potatoes. Seasoned with olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper, baked radishes are a WHOLE LOTTA YUM way to try something new!
We roast A LOT of vegetables at our house – it’s truly our most popular cooking method! Oven baking vegetables at a high heat caramelizes them, which brings out their flavor in ways that other cooking methods just can’t.
When we first heard about oven-baked rasishes, and how they take on a totally different taste and texture than raw, we new we had to try it for ourselves.
Luckily, the day we opted to try roasting radishes in the oven my son had several friends over and the kitchen was busy with multiple recipes going at once.
And while teenaged boys might eat just about anything, they will certainly not shy away from telling you that a dish is not a good one. 😉
However, after 3 very enthusiastic thumbs up, including for the oven roasted radishes, I knew we had a winner.
A truly unique side dish, oven roasted radishes can be served with just about any dish you would consider serving roasted potatoes with including stovetop chicken thighs, parmesan chicken breast, or baked pork chops.
Why You’ll Love This!
- Seasoned with a simple mix of olive oil, garlic salt, and ground pepper, your oven roasted radishes are infused with familiar flavors that meld with the meat of the vegetable.
- Oven baked radishes are a truly unique way to enjoy this oh-so-good-for-you root vegetable that many often ignore due to the harshness of the raw variety.
- Your oven needs just 25-minutes to transform your raw radishes from firm, bitter, and crunchy to soft, sweet, and tender.
- Roast radishes are a terrific substitute for potatoes if you’re trying to cut back on starchy carbs, these are the closest thing to potatoes you can eat! The garlic roasted radishes are low-carb, keto, gluten-free, paleo, and vegan too.
- If you have wondered how to cook radishes, this is the BEST recipe to start with! Not only is it super simple, but it will also yield fabulous results as baked radishes are the best keto potato substitute.
We love roasting a variety of vegetables in the oven year-round! Not only are roasted vegetables caramelized and flavorful, but they are also super easy dishes to prepare. Be sure to try our oven roasted broccoli, baked zucchini and squash, and oven roasted green beans. If you prefer to add a cheese sauce, we also have a fabulous homemade cheese sauce for vegetables as well.
Oven roasted radishes are a pleasant surprise, not just because of how well they come out, but because of few ingredients you need to make this recipe.
- radishes, halved or quartered
- olive oil
- garlic salt
- ground black pepper
- Radishes – While red is traditional, feel free to use a variety of radish colors to make your keto roasted radishes.
- Garlic Salt – We love garlic salt in our kitchen, but you can also opt for garlic powder and then add salt separately or use just regular salt and omit the garlic altogether.
Step by Step Instructions
To make your oven roasted radishes, we are first going to make sure they are all roughtly the same size, toss them all in some seasoning, and then in the oven they go where they will magically come out tasting (almost) like a completely different vegetable!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and position the rack to the center position.
Trim the ends off your radishes, and if they vary in size, chop them to be as uniform as possible.
Spread the trimmed and cut radishes on a baking pan covered with parchment paper.
Drizzle the olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper over the top of the radishes and mix right on the pan with a large spoon or spatula.
Place your prepared radishes in the preheated oven.
After 15-minutes, flip the roast radishes and continue baking the oven roasted radishes for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Start checking for doneness after 20 minutes of cook time as oven temperatures vary and the size of your radish pieces will affect cook time as well.
Remove the cooked radishes from the baking sheet. Top with fresh herbs if desired.
Serves 6 as a side dish.
- Any kind of radishes work for this recipe, feel free to use red radishes or a mix of colored radishes.
- Adding a 1/2 cup+ of shredded white cheese and broiling for 2 minutes at the end of the cooking time makes for a nice variation.
- Feel free to mix up the seasonings! Take your favorite roasted potatoes recipe and add the seasoning to radishes whether it be a store-bought spice mix, Italian seasoning, lemon pepper, or simple salt and pepper.
Your oven roasted radishes can be served alongside any main course that you would traditionally serve roasted vegetables, including potatoes, with. Some of our favorite options include stovetop chicken thighs, parmesan chicken breast, or baked pork chops.
While a raw radish may offer a bit of a kick, roasting radishes allows the spice to cook out leaving you with a mellow, potato-like flavor and texture.
Yes, radishes do contain carbs, however, radishes are considered one of the lowest carb vegetables. A 1/2 cup-sized serving of sliced radishes contains just has 2 net carbs (compare that to a potato with 13 net carbs per 1/2 cup!). While radishes do contain a small amount of carbohydrates per serving, you can easily make room for oven roasted radishes in your keto or low-carb lifestyle.
More Baked Side Dish Recipes
Looking for more bakes side dish recipes?
- Cheesey Roasted Green Beans
- Roasted Broccoli with Garlic
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Keto Cauliflower Casserole
- Brussel Sprouts Casserole with Bacon
- 2 bunches radishes, halved or quartered
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and position the rack to the center position.
- Spread the trimmed and cut radishes on a baking pan covered with parchment paper.
- Drizzle the olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper over the top of the radishes and mix right on the pan with a large spoon or spatula.
- Flip the roast radishes after 15 minutes, and continue baking the oven-roasted radishes for about 10 more minutes, for a total cook time of 25 minutes.
- Start checking the radishes for doneness after a total cook time of 20 minutes, oven temperatures can vary and the size of your radishes might not be the exact same size as mine.
- Remove from the baking sheet and sprinkle with fresh herbs, if desired.
- Serves 6 as a side dish.
Any kind of radishes work for this recipe, feel free to use red radishes or a mix of colored radishes.
Adding a 1/2 cup+ of shredded white cheese and broiling for 2 minutes at the end of the cooking time makes for a nice variation.
Feel free to mix up the seasonings! Take your favorite roasted potatoes recipe and add the seasoning to radishes whether it be a store-bought spice mix, Italian seasoning, lemon pepper, or simple salt and pepper.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 41Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 133mgCarbohydrates 2gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 0gSugar 0gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 0g
The nutritional data is just an estimate based on this particular calculator. Things can vary based on which site you use to check the data or the ingredients purchased. If you're on a restricted diet, please manually calculate this content for yourself.