Baked cooked radishes are mellow, a little sweet, soft on the inside, yet crispy on the outside. They make a unique side dish for any dinner and can be a wonderful substitute for potatoes.
Seasoned with olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper, oven baked radishes are a WHOLE LOTTA YUM way to try something new!
We roast A LOT of vegetables at our house - it's truly our most popular cooking method. Oven baking vegetables at a high heat caramelize them, which brings out their flavor in ways that other cooking methods just can't.
When we first heard about cooked radishes in the oven, and how they take on a totally different taste and texture than raw, we knew we had to try them for ourselves. And let me tell ya, if you want to cook a radish or are even wondering if you can cook radishes, roasting (or baking them) is truly the BEST method out there. Roasted radishes taste mellow and sweet, not sharp like the raw variety!
Luckily, the day we opted to make a roasted radishes recipe in the oven my son had several friends over and the kitchen was busy with multiple recipes going at once.
And while teenage boys might eat just about anything, they will certainly not shy away from telling you that a dish is not a good one--thankfully they loved the baked radishes and we knew we had a winner. 😉
A truly unique side dish, our baked radishes recipe can be served with just about any dish you would consider serving roasted potatoes with including stovetop chicken thighs, parmesan chicken breast, or baked pork chops.
Why You'll Love This!
- Seasoned with a simple mix of olive oil, garlic salt, and ground pepper, cooked radishes are infused with familiar flavors that meld with the meat of the vegetable.
- Oven baked radishes are a truly unique way to enjoy this oh-so-good-for-you root vegetable that many often ignore due to the harshness of the raw variety.
- Your oven needs just 25-minutes to transform the raw radishes from firm, bitter, and crunchy to soft, sweet, and tender.
- Cooking radishes are a terrific substitute for potatoes if you're trying to cut back on starchy carbs, these are the closest thing to potatoes you can eat! The garlic roasted radishes are low-carb, keto, gluten-free, paleo, and vegan too.
- If you have wondered how to cook radishes, this is the BEST recipe to start with! Not only is it super simple, but it will also yield fabulous results as baked radishes are the best keto potato substitute.
We love roasting a variety of vegetables in the oven year-round! Not only are roasted vegetables caramelized and flavorful, but they are also super easy dishes to prepare. Be sure to try our oven roasted broccoli, baked zucchini and squash, and oven roasted green beans. If you prefer to add a cheese sauce, we also have a fabulous homemade cheese sauce for vegetables as well.
Looking for another radishes recipe and you have an air fryer? If so, be sure to try our air fried radishes too.
Baked cooked radishes are a pleasant surprise, not just because of how well they come out, but because of the few ingredients, you need to make this recipe.
- fresh radishes, halved or quartered -the traditional red variety works great! We were at Trader Joes when we were shopping and the mixed variety was the only one available. They have the exact same flavor as red radishes. We purchased a bag but they should be equivalent to about 2 bunch of radishes.
- olive oil
- garlic salt - you can use a mix of garlic powder and fine sea salt or fine kosher salt instead if you don't have garlic salt on hand.
- ground black pepper
Step by Step Instructions
To make cooked radishes, we are first going to make sure they are all roughly the same size, toss them all in some seasoning, and then in the oven they go where they will magically come out tasting like a completely different vegetable!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and position the rack in the center position.
Trim the ends off of the fresh radishes, and if they vary in size, chop them to be as uniform as possible.
Spread the trimmed and cut radishes on a baking pan covered with parchment paper.
Drizzle the olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper over the top of the radishes and mix right on the pan with a large spoon or spatula.
Place the prepared radishes in the preheated oven.
After 15-minutes, flip them and continue baking the cooked radishes for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Start checking for doneness after 20 minutes of cook time as oven temperatures vary and the size of your radish pieces will affect cook time as well.
Remove the cooked radishes from the baking sheet. Top with fresh herbs if desired.
Enjoy! Serves 6 as a side dish.
- Any kind of fresh radishes work for our cooked radishes recipe, feel free to use red radishes or a mix of colored radishes.
- Adding a ½ cup+ of shredded white cheese and broiling for 2 minutes at the end of the cooking time makes for a nice variation.
- Feel free to mix up the seasonings! Take your favorite roasted potatoes recipe and add the seasoning to cooked radishes whether it be a store-bought spice mix, Italian seasoning, lemon pepper, or simple salt and pepper.
The oven roasted and cooked radishes can be served alongside any main course that you would traditionally serve roasted vegetables, including potatoes, with. Some of our favorite options include stovetop chicken thighs, parmesan chicken breast, or baked pork chops. A roasted radishes keto recipe could also be combined with cubed chicken or sausage slices to make a sheet pan meal.
While a raw radish may offer a bit of a kick, roasting cooked radishes allows the spice to cook out leaving you with a mellow, potato-like flavor and texture.
Yes, radishes do contain carbs, however, radishes are considered one of the lowest carb vegetables. A ½ cup-sized serving of sliced radishes contains just has 2 net carbs (compare that to a potato with 13 net carbs per ½ cup!). While radishes do contain a small amount of carbohydrates per serving, you can easily make room for baked radishes in your keto diet.
More Baked Side Dish Recipes
Looking for more baked side dish recipes?
- Cheesy Roasted Green Beans
- Roasted Broccoli with Garlic
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Keto Cauliflower Casserole
- Brussel Sprouts Casserole with Bacon
If you're looking for cooked radish recipes, be sure to give ours a try!