Roasting cheesy baked green beans in the oven will be your new favorite method for this long and lanky green vegetable. Seasoned with herbs and roasted with a blend of both parmesan and white cheese, green beans with cheese is the roasted vegetable dish you didn't even know was missing from your table. Ready in under 30-minutes, this hearty side dish is perfect for any occasion that calls for a WHOLE LOTTA YUM.
Roasted Green Beans in the Oven
While most of us tend to think of green beans as a holiday-only dish, or worse, a soggy green vegetable that comes in the can, the truth is that roasted cheesy green beans in the oven is a flavorful and delicious side that can be enjoyed all year long.
Oven-roasted green beans is a quick-cooking method that really brings out the flavor of the vegetable by caramelizing it right in the oven. Our cheesy baked green beans recipe is one of those hidden gems of cooking! Baking them in the oven will most likely become your favorite cooking method for this easy vegetable.
Cheesy baked green beans is a simple recipe that works with both fresh and frozen green beans and pairs well with just about any protein dish you prefer. Although, we are partial to air fryer turkey breast, air fried pork chops, and bone-in chicken thighs.
Why You'll Love This!
- Seasoned with herbs and roasted with a mix of cheeses, our cheesy baked green beans is a recipe that is bursting with flavor.
- Roasted green beans in the oven tastes like you were in the kitchen cooking for hours, yet the whole recipe comes together in less than 30-minutes.
- This roasted green beans recipe is low carb, keto-friendly, gluten-free, and vegetarian to help you meet your healthy eating goals!
- Knowing how to roast green beans in the oven will help you capitalize on their natural flavor as the oven brings out depth and dimension that boiling cannot.
Obsessed with green beans? We are too now that we have found some amazing ways to enjoy them (besides that famous casserole). Be sure to try our air fryer green beans with mushrooms, air fryer green beans, and our ground beef green bean casserole.
Fresh green beans, herbs and spices, and your favorite cheese are the base of this easy cheesy baked green beans recipe.
- green beans - washed and trimmed
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- olive oil
- dried herbs - optional but preferred for best results
- Parmesan cheese
- shredded white cheese
- Fresh green beans - While fresh is best, you can make your cheesy green beans baked in the oven recipe with either fresh or frozen green beans.
- Shredded white cheese - Mozzarella, gruyere/swiss blend, and Monterey jack all work well in this recipe.
- Dried Herbs -Optional, but highly recommended, dried herbs add a lot of flavor to your oven-roasted green beans. Some options include Italian seasoning, Herbs de Provence, rosemary, and basil.
Our cheesy baked green beans with cheese recipe is low-carb and keto compliant; however, to keep the carb count as low as possible we do recommend using cheese that you shred at home from a block rather than the pre-shredded options available at the store. Pre shredded cheese is generally coated with starch to prevent sticking - and this additional starch also adds unwanted carbs to your dishes.
Step by Step Instructions
Cheesy baked green beans are an easy to make side dish that simply needs a few minutes of prep work, some time in the oven, and then a quick broil to finish them off. Surprisingly easy and remarkably tasty, this roasted green beans with cheese will be a hit to everyone you serve them to.
Preheat the oven to 400F and position the baking rack to the center of the oven.
If your beans are loose, trim the ends and wash them. If you purchased prewashed and trimmed beans, skip ahead to assemble.
Mix the green beans, olive oil, salt, pepper, and dried herbs in a medium sized bowl.
Spread on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet in a single layer.
Roast the beans for 15-20 minutes until they start to brown on the bottom.
To make cheesy roasted green beans, add the parmesan and shredded cheese and then broil for 2-3 minutes until melted.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Makes 6 servings as a side dish.
- The secret to perfectly roasted green beans (along with most vegetables) is to use a preheated oven that is at a high temperature. For roasted green beans we recommend 400F to achieve a crispy, caramelized, slightly charred exterior.
- Purchasing pretrimmed green beans will save you some time on the prep work.
- Parchment paper is not necessary but does make for easier cleanup.
- Gruyere or Swiss is perfect for your holiday table.
- Mozzarella or Monterey Jack both have a mellow flavor that melts very well and are great for everyday use.
Oven-roasted green beans with cheese will pair well with most any meat dish you choose, however we do recommend air fryer turkey breast (especially for the holidays), air fried pork chops, and bone-in chicken thighs.
Yes, you can make these cheesy green beans with frozen green beans. Simply season the frozen green beans with oil and seasoning and bake as directed above. You will need to add a few extra minutes to the cook time, but no one will ever know that your cheesy green bean side dish started out in the freezer.
With just 4.6 net carbs per serving, green beans can be part of a keto lifestyle.
Other Side Dish Recipes You'll Love
Looking for more side dish recipes?
- 1 lb washed and trimmed green beans
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried herbs (optional)
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded white cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400F and position the baking rack to the center of the oven.
- Mix the green beans, olive oil, salt, pepper, and dried herbs in a medium sized bowl.
- Spread on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast the beans for 15-20 minutes until they start to brown on the bottom.
- To make cheesy roasted green beans, add the parmesan and shredded cheese and then broil for 2-3 minutes until melted.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Makes 6 servings as a side dish
Shredded mozzarella, gruyere/swiss blend, and Monterey jack all work well in this recipe.
Skip the broiled cheese step if you just want simple roasted green beans
To cook frozen green beans, roast them from frozen for just a couple minutes longer than the recipe specifies
This recipe can be doubled but use 2 baking pans
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 115Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 15mgSodium 363mgCarbohydrates 6gNet Carbohydrates 4gFiber 2gSugar 3gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 6g
The nutritional data is just an estimate and is based on the exact brands we purchsed for the recipe. Please manually calculate this data yourself if you're on a restricted diet.